• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Flowers in Monochrome!

Didn't see anything wrong with the focus, just wondering about how you got to the final presentation.

:)

Asher

Here's a link to the original size to see how much I missed the focus of the flower:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/jakekleinphotography/7360525256/sizes/o/in/set-72157625776320402/

I can't really recall how I got to that point. My PP slowly evolves as I learn new things. I think at that point I was just doing a few layers. One for sharpening, one for blur, one for curve adjustments with a duplicate layer for each adjustment. I usually ALT+(add layer mask) then paint the adjustments on at around 50%. I usually don't get to much into adjusting tones. I just click the convert to B&W tab and do a bit of tweaking on one duplicate black and white layer. I should really try using the method I described above in the conversion to black and white too in order to have more control over the tones in each area of the image.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I just click the convert to B&W tab and do a bit of tweaking on one duplicate black and white layer. I should really try using the method I described above in the conversion to black and white too in order to have more control over the tones in each area of the image.

Jake,

Maybe you already know this, still, for the record, consider using the conversion via assigning individual colors to tonalities. Image-Adjust-B&W in the Photoshop menu. This is needed to get the most out of all the incredible amount of color that you can assign to B&W at your whim and fancy!

Asher

Chris Calohan

8536048521_f823d70bf6_o.jpg

Hibiscus, a Monochromatic Study - Selenium Toned: Chris Calohan​

Robert Watcher

Here is a colour image of mine that I presumed would only be useful if viewed in colour because of the flowers soft delicate colouring and shape - - - so I just made a quick black and white version using the built in Pixlr at my arwpic.com web storage application - - - and I think it works well in black and white as well.

Copy_pink-drops-final.jpg

pink-drops-final.jpg

Bob Rogers

I've never done much with flowers. Seems to require more patients than I have. I've enjoyed looking at everyone's examples.

I did get to see some of Robert Mapplethorpe's B&W flowers and they were exceptional. Maybe that's why I don't do flowers ;-)

Asher Kelman

Images that have worked well in Black and White

12228961410154_E3010692.jpg

12228960917191_E3010679.jpg

12228961243734_E3010687.jpg

img241.jpg

Robert,

I like all of these images and shows the value of removing the emotional rich diversions of color. what's revealed here is the illumination form: underlying shapes and texture that work together to give a pleasing total feeling, without the alarms ringing of wild colors.

I have added white space between pictures, so they can be seen with their own territory. I hope you's agree that this allows each one to be appreciated for it's own nature.

Asher

Jake,

Maybe you already know this, still, for the record, consider using the conversion via assigning individual colors to tonalities. Image-Adjust-B&W in the Photoshop menu. This is needed to get the most out of all the incredible amount of color that you can assign to B&W at your whim and fancy!

Asher

I must have missed this post. Yes I always adjust the different color channels to my liking while doing a b&w conversion.

I never just click the b&w button and leave as is.

Sam Hames

subtleFlowerOldIMGP1722gray.jpg

It's a flower, and it's monochrome!

I took this more than two years ago. I don't think I've taken a flower photo since.

Tulip, one of many that grow around the foundation of my house. Just a couple more days of being careful and then they'll all fall to the lawn mower—a reliable harbinger of summer.

original.jpg

Early Morning Tulip​

fahim mohammed

Art is already there. Inherent in the flowers.

Photographs just try to capture and depict that intrinsic Art..and in doing so betray the photog's vast limitations in capturing The Master's work.

p1592993596.jpg

Asher Kelman

Art is already there. Inherent in the flowers.

Photographs just try to capture and depict that intrinsic Art..

How do they do that, Fahim? How do they try?

.............and in doing so betray the photog's vast limitations in capturing The Master's work.

Fahim,

"Michelangelo, a Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect, poet, and engineer, had amazing vision. He saw art where others only saw rock. He is quoted as saying, “In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.”" Source.

Michelangelo created in his mind, what to show of what to others is hidden. That becomes art, that's recognized as such, when and if if others would want to come to see it and preserve it, (the best for posterity). A Michelangelo can do it every time. But we are not him. :)

Asher

Asher Kelman

@ Antonio,

Very cleanly made and the square format works well.

@ Tom,

Capturing due drops is wonderful. Getting a reflection inside is amazing. Try some macros of the drops as lenses for the rest of the scene.

Asher

fahim mohammed

How do they do that, Fahim? How do they try?

Fahim,

"Michelangelo, a Renaissance painter, sculptor, architect, poet, and engineer, had amazing vision. He saw art where others only saw rock. He is quoted as saying, “In every block of marble I see a statue as plain as though it stood before me, shaped and perfect in attitude and action. I have only to hew away the rough walls that imprison the lovely apparition to reveal it to the other eyes as mine see it.”" Source.

Michelangelo created in his mind, what to show of what to others is hidden. That becomes art, that's recognized as such, when and if if others would want to come to see it and preserve it, (the best for posterity). A Michelangelo can do it every time. But we are not him. :)

Asher

One of the greatest work of The Artist. The human mind, Asher. The human mind. Is that a work of Art?

BTW, how many know of Michelangelo around the globe? How many know of the human mind?

Answer this and you have answered for yourself one of Artist's creations. Original. Not a copy.

p.s. You talk of Michelangelo; let me talk of Ibn Haitham. How many know of Ibn Haitham?
Was Michelangelo a better artist than Ibn Haitham? Depends. I know of both. How many others do to talk
intelligently of their works?

Or how many know of Musa bin Maymun. Very few, I would venture to add. Was he any less of an artist than Michelangelo? You are in a better position to answer this question. More so than anyone else here.

Asher Kelman

Or how many know of Musa bin Maymun. Very few, I would venture to add. Was he any less of an artist than Michelangelo? You are in a better position to answer this question. More so than anyone else here.

Maimonides was no less a genius, but I do not know if he ever made paintings or sculptures. At least none are in existence. His writings are considered as the foundation for modern Western Thought.

Asher

fahim mohammed

Maimonides was no less a genius, but I do not know if he ever made paintings or sculptures. At least none are in existence. His writings are considered as the foundation for modern Western Thought.

Asher

So that is of less significance than a stone carver? I might add that he was one of the best physicians of his age also.

Out of interest Asher, do you consider a writer of this caliber any less of an artist than say Goya or El Greco. I choose Spain for a specific reason, which you might realize.

Paul Abbott

Some lovely B&W studies of plants and flowers in this theme, i'm a sucker for a colourless flower too. :)

Plumeria (Frangipani) - Paul Abbott

Asher Kelman

So that is of less significance than a stone carver? I might add that he was one of the best physicians of his age also.

Out of interest Asher, do you consider a writer of this caliber any less of an artist than say Goya or El Greco. I choose Spain for a specific reason, which you might realize.

Good questions! We can have a new thread in Layback Café for this or else in the Theory Section on Art. Can we do that?

Let's keep this thread for monochrome flowers, all de facto works of Art.

Asher

Asher Kelman

Some lovely B&W studies of plants and flowers in this theme, i'm a sucker for a colourless flower too. :)

Plumeria (Frangipani) - Paul Abbott

Paul,

The extra flourish by inclusion of the lesser flower on the top of the picture, makes for lyricism and great interest and helps to get the black space an element to wonder about too.

Thanks for sharing!

Asher