• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

metallic sunset

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi,

since quite a lot of time I'm carrying pictures like this one in my mind.
We all know these borderless sunsets on their classical settings, but - have a look at your surroundings looking for something different ...
So I said to myself: why not going into the woods (in fact they are nearby :)) ) and let's see what we get there ... :))

This the view over the southern Rheintal here in Vorarlberg/Austria, some minutes after sunset, a very blue-metallic moment ... I hope you enjoy it!

p948153159-5.jpg

metallic sunset​

Hi,

We all know these borderless sunsets on their classical settings, but - have a look at your surroundings looking for something different ...
So I said to myself: why not going into the woods (in fact they are nearby :)) ) and let's see what we get there ... :))

This the view over the southern Rheintal here in Vorarlberg/Austria, some minutes after sunset, a very blue-metallic moment ... I hope you enjoy it!

p948153159-5.jpg

metallic sunset​

That is simply jaw-dropping gorgeous!
Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi,

Wolfgang,

What made you think of the woods for this. Did you already imagine silhouetting the trees? Had you ever seen such a sunset before?

p948153159-5.jpg

metallic sunset​

This the view over the southern Rheintal here in Vorarlberg/Austria, some minutes after sunset, a very blue-metallic moment ...

Yes, we enjoy it ………….and it is now etched into our minds. Is there a river there or a path? I add this picture as something to hope to see like colored prayer lags flying in the mountains in Nepal or mist-shrouded trees on the steep banks of the Yangtze River at dawn.

Asher

Really beautiful, like a Japanese woodcut. Love the silhouetted trees with the dead but hanging on leaves. They are like musical notations across the metallic sky. Very rewarding.

Best, Bill

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi

thanks for looking and you kind annotations.
@Asher: This is quite near to our house and we often pass their by when we do our nearby "mountainwalk" :) . This view is consistently interesting, changing everytime you pass there. You are looking over the valley of the river Rhein, which is making his way to the Lake of Constance.

Rachel McLain

This is really wonderful! I don't know if you've tried metallic paper for your photos, but I think this would be really great on metallic paper.

Rach

Wolfgang Plattner

Hi
Thank you all for your kind remarks.
I already did a print on metallic paper - it is outstanding ... and it will be part of a small exhibition in the near future ...

Rachel McLain

Hi
Thank you all for your kind remarks.
I already did a print on metallic paper - it is outstanding ... and it will be part of a small exhibition in the near future ...

Good! I love metallic paper--it does such a wonderful job of bringing out the light we are used to seeing on our monitors that doesn't always translate into print. And that's great it will be part of an exhibition, too!

Rach

Asher Kelman

Hi

thanks for looking and you kind annotations.
@Asher: This is quite near to our house and we often pass their by when we do our nearby "mountainwalk" :) . This view is consistently interesting, changing everytime you pass there. You are looking over the valley of the river Rhein, which is making his way to the Lake of Constance.

Then you MUST get us more. Exactly the same framing. Just keep shooting on a schedule, rain or shine, overcast of clear sky.

Make it for yourself and perhaps also for us and for the next OPF/Gallery One Exhibition.

You've a treasure of a subject!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher

you are right ... thanks for this input!

Frankly, Wolfgang, great ideas are "ten a penny"! The first challenge, (and there are two), is executing just one and delivering on its promise. That you've aced! Yes, all of us could eventually match your achievement if we'd travel a lot, shoot enough and discard the duds. But who can return and make siblings for a picture as special as this? It's possible! There's a real delight and satisfaction from making this a project - it comes from the focus, goal-setting and time allocation on an actual calendar, to follow up with related photographs.

Of course, if you go for long walks, hikes, climbs or drives, you'll find scores of worthy scenes to capture. However, the second challenge I promised is as follows: to return to this same location and shooting point, in different seasons and weather conditions and times of the day. On each visit, recognize and extract the related but utterly different character and personality of the place. Try it once and you will be addicted...... and we all will be richly rewarded!

Asher