• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fishermen and their boats! Beauty and the sea!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I've always been so moved by scenes of the indigenous peoples who use boats to earn their livings and especially, fishermen and their boats.

Nicolas showed us some spectacular shots in his "Whatever Project" in Bangladesh, now exhibited in several prestigious galleries in France and still for sale. I'm the proud owner of one superb print!

NCL6622_85x110_Prophoto_RVB.jpg

Nicolas Claris: From the Bangladesh "Whatever" series

Last night, I discovered this image and I was mesmerized and taken to the world of men who face the elements to bring back their catch and feed us, one way or another.

_76496797_child-fishery.jpg

So what do you think?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Digging...

I have seen some images of this work here, in OPF somewhere. It is indeed a very interesting project with repercussions around the World and I am sure it has been a successful expo.

The top image shown here is great as the chosen angle is very unusual and make us think how it was photographed. In it, we can have a glimp of the boats, the nets, the mud on the beach, the garbage and even the look of the river.
On a boat we can see three stripes of blue, white and red... ;)

The image of the boy sleeping is very striking but in fact, it not uncommon to see youngs to work hard to earn their way of living with parents and grand parents... This young boy was tired.

"7 Jesus" is watching his sleep in spite of being "4 sale"

Was Jessica Pociask involved in the project ? Is she this Jessica ?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Digging...

I have seen some images of this work here, in OPF somewhere. It is indeed a very interesting project with repercussions around the World and I am sure it has been a successful expo.

The top image shown here is great as the chosen angle is very unusual and make us think how it was photographed. In it, we can have a glimp of the boats, the nets, the mud on the beach, the garbage and even the look of the river.
On a boat we can see three stripes of blue, white and red... ;)

The image of the boy sleeping is very striking but in fact, it not uncommon to see youngs to work hard to earn their way of living with parents and grand parents... This young boy was tired.

"7 Jesus" is watching his sleep in spite of being "4 sale"

Was Jessica Pociask involved in the project ? Is she this Jessica ?

Likely as not the child is a slave! The need to spend more time at sea to gather less and less fish as populations collapse, means more hours at sea and the need for low cost labor.

Yes, you made the right connection!

Asher

Nigel Allan

I am not sure you can assume he is a slave. In most developing countries the children are part of the workforce in a 'family' business (such as a fisherman or food purveyor) so are expected to play their part from an early age and rise to the occasion admirably. They are also likely to eat sleep and work in the same location so sleeping on the dock next to the family trawler would not be out of place

Chris Calohan

Among the Vietnamese shrimpers in our area it is not uncommon to see the children working with the parents up to school age but then there is a great push to get them an education and go beyond the life of a fisherman. This push is not as prevalent among the rest of the population as often fishing/shrimping is the way of life and there is a great reluctance to go into a far more unknown arena, like school or the rest of the world.