• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Try your hand at Ron Morse's Moose Photo

At Ron Morse's request, after some discussion in the Wildlife Forum, I am posting a link to the Raw file (Canon 20D) for an interesting image he took of a Moose drinking in a stream. I'm assuming it's in Maine, since that's where Ron lives - Ron, please correct me if I'm wrong. He doesn't currently have the means to host the image, so I told him I'd be happy to. Here is the link to his image:

http://www.dlcphoto.com/Temp/Morse_9764.CR2

It is possible that it may actually download with a .TIFF extension - just change it manually to CR2, and you'll be fine.

I played around with the image a little bit today, and this is the result (modified a little from an overly warm version I posted in that thread earlier):

Morse_9764A.jpg

Ron and I welcome your interpretations, and look forward to the different versions we'll be seeing.

Carl Harsch

The link is trying to open up as a QuickTimeMovie for me and I am unable to download it. I'm using Firefox. I'll try with IE in a bit and see if that's the issue

edit: same issue with IE re: QT but at least I was able to right click and download.

I ran into an issue like this when I started posting GoogleEarth kzm filees. I had to define a "mime" type or something along those lines. If anybody has any knowledge here, I'll be happy to make whatever configuration changes I need through my site. I'll do a little exploring myself.

Don Lashier

For some ga reason QT takes over tiff. Aside from causing problems with 1D and 1Ds files, I don't think anyone wants QT to be the default tiff viewer.

- DL

Ron Morse

The pictue was taken in the Moosehead lake area at Greenville Me. The moose was doing a mooses favorite thing. Eating aquatic plants from the bottom of a pond. If you zoom in you can see that his mouth is full of green aquatic plants.

After deciding that I was not threat I watched him walk into the water and start eating. When I left he was still feeding.

As Don said I would love too see what others do with this.

Ray West

Just messing with Picasso - here's a 'lens baby' effect.

Morse_97641small.jpg

1) increase contrast, 2) warm, 3) sharpen, 4) blur 5)save 6)open in Irfan view 7) add copyright text 8)save in reduced jpg.

It would pay back with more effort.

er - I'd better resize it - hang on a minute.... the bigger one is here - http://www.yertiz.com/images/Morse_97641.jpg

Best wishes,

Ray

Ron Morse

Thanks everyone. I was going to wait 3 or 4 days to see if anyone esle gave it a shot but got playing with the landscapes and it slipped my mind.
Don,
It's a very nice job, I really like it.

Stefan,
Very nice. My monitor is calibrated and your colors of the leaves, grass and evergreens is spot on to what I saw with my eyes.

Ray,
While it looks nice, to be honest, I can't say I'm a big fan of the " lense baby effect ".

Thanks all.

Ray West

Hi Ron,

I agree with you re lensbaby, but, if you think your subject is out of focus, you can sometimes make it 'appear to be' more in focus, by blurring the rest of it... ;-)

Best wishes
Ray

NB 'you can sometimes' != 'I can at anytime'