• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Poll - Best skin tone adjustment

Which crop has the best skin tones?

• A

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • B

• C

• D

• E

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • F

Votes: 1 5.3%
  • G

• H

• I

• J

• K

• L

Votes: 2 10.5%
  • M

• N

• O

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Tim Armes

Hi All,

Bev's white balance problem generated a larg number of replies. Asher had the bright idea of posting them together so that we could vote on the best resulting skin tones. He then had even better idea of asking me if I wouldn't mind doing the crops - he's a cunning man that one!

This is the original thread:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1004

Here are crops of the faces:

Note that in crop 'N', only the lady's face should be considered.

skintones.jpg

Please vote on the image that represents, for you, the best skin tones.

Tim

Mary Bull

Okay, I'll go first, I guess.

Tim Armes said:
Hi All,
Please vote on the image that represents, for you, the best skin tones.

I choose M.

While, if I were to choose which skin tone I would like for my own face, I would choose the lady's appearance in N, I choose M because I have been in the presence of quite a few fashion-conscious or tan-conscious women, and I have seen just that look, achieved with either make-up or tanning, or both.

The careful coiffure, the choice of white for her jumper--to show off the tan, whatever it does to her sun-aged face--the big smile for the pose: all these are my clues that make me think M most probably represents a near-approach to the couple's appearance when the shot was made.

Note: I carefully read the entire thread from its beginning to its end, as the posts arrived. And I have reread it all, and put up some side-by-side windows to compare my impressions. (Keeping in mind that they should not be exactly side-by-side, per Don's comment on a post with two of his takes in it, I put a little Desktop space between my windows.)

My intuitive reaction is that M is the best.

Mary

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
One can also discuss why one makes a choice. I find it tough. So it would be great to share one's reasoning.

Asher

Also state whether or not you have a calibrated monitor!

Mary Bull

Why I chose M

Asher Kelman said:
One can also discuss why one makes a choice. I find it tough. So it would be great to share one's reasoning.
Of those in which the lady's jumper is white, I thought this was probably the nearest to how she appeared in "real life" the night of the shoot. I wanted her in white, because, as I said in my first post to this thread, looking at the clues of her coiffure and her pose, I thought she dressed in white to show off her tan.

I judged that white was the original color of her jumper, also, from reading the opinions in the original thread discussion.

Also, I wanted an image in which the gentleman's shirt is a definite blue, not a washed-out blue. Again, from the thread discussion, I judged this to have been the nearest to the actual shirt which he was wearing. Color of clothing, in my opinion, does affect the appearance of skin tones.
Of those with the white jumper and definite blue shirt, I chose M because the highlights had not been removed. Given the social status clues which I mentioned in my first paragraph, I judged that she would have been heavily made-up, perhaps using something similar to what we used to call "pancake make-up." Or one would have something like that effect with a product like a liquid Cover-Girl skin make-up. I thought that this slightly-greasy make-up would reflect some highlights, and they did not seem too intrusive to me in M.

Also state whether or not you have a calibrated monitor!
I don't really think that my monitor is color calibrated.

My monitor is a ViewSonic LCD, 17-inch screen, purchased in December, 2002.

I will say this: the appearance of Dierk Haasis's "Hamburg Panorama" (which see at his website, www.DH2Publishing.info ) is very near in its color display to the colors of the print of it which he made for me and which now hangs framed on the wall across from my computer room door. The angles of sight are such that I have only to turn my head slightly to view both my monitor screen and the print.

Well, I'll leave the link in my post. But I've just had a look, and I no longer find this particular work shown in his gallery. But there are others equally beautiful there, like "Going for a Walk," which he also displayed here at OPF recently. It's the one with the deer in snow. To be found in " Hamburg: Grüne Stadt" by clicking on the Hamburg gallery on his home page. The colors in that picture have similar quiet tones to those in "Hamburg Panorama."

I guess this is all that I can say about my computer monitor. If it turns out that it is color calibrated (the way my G2 turned out to have RAW capability despite my mistaken impression) so much the better.

Mary