• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Info on Schools

doug anderson

I've been looking at online education for photography. Does anyone know which school is respected enough that a certificate from them would mean something professionally?

I agree with Nicolas. I think if you wanted to take a university course that may help you succeed, perhaps one in marketing would be the most useful.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
doug anderson said:
I've been looking at online education for photography. Does anyone know which school is respected enough that a certificate from them would mean something professionally?

Some of the best photographers are self-taught. The amongst the best practical secrets of personal success are 6 prime rules, (honest and well meaning albeit, platitudes if you like):

1. Use one lens for a year, and it will be loyal to you. Choose any 50mm, a 45mm, 90mm or whatever, based on what you like to return home with.

2. Conspire to arrive to where and when what you want is lit right and just crouch, climb or move to the position that captures what inspires you the most. The rest is practice.

3. Print your best pictures and mark up photocopies: lines, circles, scribbles, etc, to give yourself feedback to narrow the gap between what you got and what you want.

4. Remember Bart's saying and this applies to pictures that miss what you need" "If you do what you did, you'll get what you got!"

5. Have a box with a running collection of your best to date 12 shots

6. Vist a gallery once a month for inspiration and humility, but not to copy.

If at the end of a year you actually have 12 pictures that really impress
you, then, you're in the gate and can start your journey proper. If
you don't end up believing in yourself, then, likely as not,
no one else will pay homage to, (or cash for), your work.
Many start the journey, but few of us make it.
So enjoy the friends you meet on the way
and the view!

If you are too young to leave your parents and they'll pay, go to a photography school, otherwise this is the kind of plan one follows to be photographer that does work giving on oneself satisfaction. alternatively, to put bread on the table, seek out a trade school or apprenticeship. :)

Asher

Jerome Marot

I don't think that any online school certificate means something "professionally". But, if you have a university or school of arts where you live (not sure how those are called in the US), you may want to inquire whether they have something for adults.

Keep your money for good glass…

...and books. You should not underestimate books. Not the kind of book teaching photography, rather books about the history of arts (including painting) or about known photographers. Seeing what you have posted here lately and the kind of questions you ask, it seems that this is where you should start.

I'll also second Asher comments above.

Jonny Carroll

Formal education for photography is a waste of good money that could be spent on gear, trips and building a portfolio. I will always believe that you'll learn 100X as much in the field shooting, shadowing at experimenting than you will in a classroom. With digital, you can see results immediately and understand literally, in a day what all the settings do.

Michael Nagel

I agree on the above concerning framing, technique etc. but there is one important first step that counts:

First you have to see what you want to photograph!

Using one lens is one technique to learn to see, but from my point of view (sic :) ) constant observation of the environment is something that helps to hone your skills.

This is not a perfect way, but I constantly ask myself:
  • What is there?
  • Are there potentially relationships between persons/objects?
  • Geometry?
  • Colour?
  • Contrast?

Last, but not least:
  • Is there a feel to it?

Don't fear errors - err and learn from it. This can be frustrating but is very efficient.
Try things you normally would not do - leave your comfort zone.

Don't take all too serious - art must not be dead serious.
Just think of the work of René Magritte.
Look at other art - Jérôme coined it quite nicely.

Best regards,
Michael

Alain Briot

pro member
I learned everything myself. I don't have a degree in photography. I onlhy have degrees in fine art (Beaux Arts, Paris), in English (BA) and in visual communication (MA, PhD). I did hire a consultant to learn marketing because for the life of me I couldn't figure it out.