• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Alternative Process: Carl Weese's Pt/Pd prints

If you've ever been intrigued by George Tice's Pt/Pd prints of vernacular subjects, take a look at TheOnlinePhotographer site this week. They are running a one-time sale of prints in this medium by Carl Weese, whose tastes run to drive-in theaters, old motels and main streets in rural America, and the natural scene around his home in upstate Connecticut. He's offering Pt/Pd prints of three of his images, one from each category, for about a fifth of what they sell for in galleries, and also offering (for a lot less) ink-jet prints of the same three images for comparison. Each is 8x10 inches, either by contact printing-out-process from the original pyro-HP5 or Tri-X negatives in the Pt/Pd case, or printed with pigment inks at the same size. The deal is that you must order and send payment this week, and Carl will then print steadily until all the orders are done and mailed. Offer ends April 30 or May 1 -- go to the TOP site for the details.

Carl has done Pt/Pd for quite a few years now, and has recently been reinterpreting some of the same images for 3x enlarged ink-jet printing. The 7x17 inch banquet camera that he often uses will then produce a detailed 21x51 inch result. I haven't seen what these look like, but would love to have the chance. They are not on sale.

scott

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If you've ever been intrigued by George Tice's Pt/Pd prints of vernacular subjects, take a look at TheOnlinePhotographer site this week. They are running a one-time sale of prints in this medium by Carl Weese, whose tastes run to drive-in theaters, old motels and main streets in rural America, and the natural scene around his home in upstate Connecticut. He's offering Pt/Pd prints of three of his images, one from each category, for about a fifth of what they sell for in galleries, and also offering (for a lot less) ink-jet prints of the same three images for comparison. Each is 8x10 inches, either by contact printing-out-process from the original pyro-HP5 or Tri-X negatives in the Pt/Pd case, or printed with pigment inks at the same size. The deal is that you must order and send payment this week, and Carl will then print steadily until all the orders are done and mailed. Offer ends April 30 or May 1 -- go to the TOP site for the details.

Carl has done Pt/Pd for quite a few years now, and has recently been reinterpreting some of the same images for 3x enlarged ink-jet printing. The 7x17 inch banquet camera that he often uses will then produce a detailed 21x51 inch result. I haven't seen what these look like, but would love to have the chance. They are not on sale.

scott

I'm so sorry, Scott that i missed this important post! It's sad! I wonder if the offer is still open?

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
No, it's over. But you can always order a print from Carl's site, albeit at regular pricing.

That's a pity.

Still, we do have another source for high quality handmade Pt-Palladium prints and that's from Jim Collum! I must find out if he sells privately as well as through galleries.

Asher

No, it's over. But you can always order a print from Carl's site, albeit at regular pricing.

His site refers you to three galleries that represent him, but I know he has other channels. A year or two ago, he offered to make 5x7-ish prints in color of any of the pictures that had appeared in his POD blog(s) in the past few years, as long as he agreed that the picture you chose looked OK to him at the larger size. I have two of these in our living room -- different sorts of light, one summer morning sunlight in a quiet small town street, the other a rainy day with sidelighting and traffic on a steep hill, seen compressed by a telephoto lens.

So you should write him and just ask.

scott