• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

canon eos or nikon?

stonie smith

hi i currently have a canon EOS 400D and im pllanning on getting a new camera i was wondering weather i should get another canon or an nikon. any help would be great thanks

hi i currently have a canon EOS 400D and im pllanning on getting a new camera i was wondering weather i should get another canon or an nikon. any help would be great thanks

Hi Stonie,

It is hard to recommend a brand in general, there are several good ones you could choose from. Canon and Nikon are two large ones, but there are others as well.

I guess it all depends a bit on your aspirations as a photographer, and on perhaps a particular type of photography, e.g. macro, architecture, portraits, travel, etc. Some types of specialized lenses may be only found with a certain brand. Some camera's are built to withstand bad weather and dusty envornments, others are compact, while yet others offer convenience with a built-in flash.

Whatever you choose, just remember that the quality of your lenses will be a major factor in the final image quality, and lenses tend to be long term investments that can last many camera bodies. Most people also spend more money over time on their lenses than on a body, so look at a body as easier replacable than a good lens. Be careful to not pick a lens that does all, from macro to long tele and a zoom, they usually are a compromise in image quality and widest aperture. Lenses compatible with full-frame 35mm bodies will be a better long-term investment. Check some of the on-line lens comparison sites for actual image performance, especially on a full-frame body.

When you have decided which lens you want, then look at your budget how much you have left for a body to match. then compare a similar offering from both brands you prefer. Go to a brick and mortar shop and handle them. Which one feels the best for your size hands, and whether you can easily reach the controls. How bright and large is the viewfinder, how noisy is the camera? When you wear a pair of spectacles, check weather you can see all of the viewfinder info at the same time.

When you've more or less made up your mind, check with some actual users of that combination if they have anything they'd perfer instead of your anticipated setup (in the same budget range).

Then just go for it and do some actual shooting. When your investment in lenses is still modest, it's easier to switch brand without losing a lot of money, should you feel the need.

Cheers,
Bart

Ken Tanaka

pro member

Why do you feel you need a new camera? How, and how often, do you use your 400D? What do you feel its shortcomings are?