• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Panasonic Lumix DMC FZ-30

Jeff Donovan

I just bought one of these and am really enjoying it. It is a big step up from my previous 4MP point and shoot, and it has enough manual features that I can really learn how to adjust the aperture and shutter speeds and see their effects before stepping up to a true D-SLR.

I'm still waiting for a truly sunny day to walk around the neighborhood and take some pictures at various settings to see the differences. Hopefully that will come soon.

I'm wondering if anyone else has an FZ-30 and how you feel about it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
bostonwolf said:
I just bought one of these and am really enjoying it. It is a big step up from my previous 4MP point and shoot, and it has enough manual features that I can really learn how to adjust the aperture and shutter speeds and see their effects before stepping up to a true D-SLR.

I'm still waiting for a truly sunny day to walk around the neighborhood and take some pictures at various settings to see the differences. Hopefully that will come soon.

I'm wondering if anyone else has an FZ-30 and how you feel about it.

Welcome my friend,

First the reminder:

http://www.openphotographyforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=46

If you read through the entire thread, it will save us a lot of back and forth discussion.

Great, now that is out of the way, congrats on the FZ-30. Why don't you just shoot anyway. Bad weather is always great for photgraphy with atmosphere. If it is raining, set up yourself in a doorway or under a store awning and there you are people with rain dripping over their faces and laughing or miserable and everything in-between!

If it is overcast, then it is perfect for portraits!

So go get some pictures!

Good luck,

Asher

Jeff Donovan

I just found a target. I was walking through a cemetery on the way to the track to go for a run today and saw a large bird of prey of some sort (probably a hawk) scoping out things in the tree. I figure he waits for rodents and other critters to make a break for it and grabs them up.

I'm going to try to photograph him tomorrow.

Bob Good

Another FZ30 owner

I suspect that we stepchildren will be lost here on this fine forum.

I've been enjoying (mostly) the hobby and sometimes vocation of photography since I was 15. That was a while ago <g>.

I've used Yashica, Fuji and Mamiya medium format gear with great success. Have used Nikon and Canon 35mm gear for a lot of fun. I recently sold almost all of my Canon 20D outfit because I just didn't use it and quite frankly got tired of hauling all the "stuff" around.

I bought a well cared for and almost new FZ30 and overall am quite pleased. It does have limitations that a dSLR doesn't have, for sure - but I can make good and sometimes great images a lot easier with a camera that I have with me than one I leave at home because it's too much hassle to take along on a family outing or a business trip. Overall, it's quite an impressive camera. I'm looking forward to the FZ50 reviews.

Regards

PS: I just bought a FX-01, arrive yesterday. It is amazing and I look forward to getting to know it better.

Jeff Donovan

Pictures from Asia...

Here is an updated look at some of the pictures I've taken on my trips, which has taken me to Thailand, Cambodia, Hong Kong and Japan.

I've tried to create a lot of folders to make it easier to look, though some of them have quite a few pictures. You can also go to the homepage

bostonwolf.smugmug.com

to look at some of the "favorites."

None of the photos has been touched in any way, as I do not have editing software on my laptop.

Here are a few of my favorites

Fuji-san from my balcony:

119070320-S.jpg

A view of Hong Kong Island from Kowloon:
95298003-S-3.jpg

Sunrise at Angkor Wat. Siem Reap, Cambodia:

95580307-S.jpg

Three young Cambodia girls at Angkor Wat:
95422232-S-2.jpg