• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

server problems

Ray West

Has anyone else noticed if this forum goes offline from time to time? Its been a few times afaik in the last day or so.

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Bonjour Ray
Though I'n not connected 24/24h I've not noticed any failure from the server.
Could you please explain what happened?

Thank you for your help...

All the best

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

In the last few days, I've found when I sometimes try to go to openphotographyforums.com my browser returns a 'server not found' message. It's not a typo on my part, and I can get to other www sites OK. It appears to me to be more like a hosting problem. After a while, I go off and do other things ;-), I can then access as normal. Its no big deal at the mo., but may be in future.

Best wishes,

Ray

PS - The other things - like coffee, walk dog, and so on - not resetting my PC's.....

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Ray,

I've found the same thing but in each case I had made a spelling error. If you continue to find this problem, could you document it so we can let our provider know.

Asher

Ray West

Hi Asher,

Welcome back. It was only a few times, been OK since. Not spelling errors, since I just click on the firefox 'recent url' drop down, whatever its called. I know from time to time name servers etc on the www have a funny five minutes. My isp had some recent problems, but they publish a detailed service availability record, thought maybe your host did likewise.

Best wishes,

Ray

nicolas claris

Ray West said:
Hi Nicolas,
In the last few days, I've found when I sometimes try to go to openphotographyforums.com my browser returns a 'server not found' message. It's not a typo on my part, and I can get to other www sites OK. It appears to me to be more like a hosting problem. After a while, I go off and do other things ;-), I can then access as normal. Its no big deal at the mo., but may be in future.
Hi Ray
Sorry I didn't see your answer (above) earlier.
Funny as you explain it happens to me to sometimes but not only with OPF site. When it happens I do an immediate reload and it works right away.
To try to clear what OS and version are you? (I noticed you use Firefox)
I am on Mac OS X 10.4.7 and Safari

We have to clarify if it comes from the server or from some OS/browser combinations or from location (Europe Vs USA Vs Far-East...

Thanks for all to provide feedback with infos

I have also noticed that sometimes it takes a few time after clicking on "post reply" button....

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

I'm in UK, windoze xp. It has been OK since I mentioned it here, but two days ago, another USA forum I subscribe to, was off line for a few times, for and hour or so, but they often have problems. It doesn't appear that anyone else noticed it - not surprising, since not a terrific amount of traffic on here, so I, even if I was you, am not too concerned. Maybe it shows on the log/user statistics or whatever info. you get from your host. Immediate reload didn't work on these occasions - but as mentioned may have been a name server elsewhere, but I could access other usa sites.

(Last year, Verio got more or less took down for a day or so, due to the hurrican in Florida. I never noticed them as being off line, but they refunded a month's rental, and relocated their servers afaik.)

Best wishes,

Ray

Brian Ripley

Ray West said:
Hi Nicolas,

I'm in UK, windoze xp. It has been OK since I mentioned it here, but two days ago, another USA forum I subscribe to, was off line for a few times, for and hour or so, but they often have problems. It doesn't appear that anyone else noticed it - not surprising, since not a terrific amount of traffic on here, so I, even if I was you, am not too concerned. Maybe it shows on the log/user statistics or whatever info. you get from your host. Immediate reload didn't work on these occasions - but as mentioned may have been a name server elsewhere, but I could access other usa sites.

(Last year, Verio got more or less took down for a day or so, due to the hurrican in Florida. I never noticed them as being off line, but they refunded a month's rental, and relocated their servers afaik.)

Best wishes,

Ray

I too am in the UK, and have seen no problems either from work (a very high-resilience connection
to a major Internet node) nor home (NTL cable, so fast but not reliable DNS). Havng multiple
ISPs to try helps to resolve where the issues are ....

I've almost always tracked similar problems to DNS errors, usually on NTL: fortunately I can
VPN to another ISP if that happens.

nicolas claris

Ray West said:
Hi Nicolas,
so I, even if I was you, am not too concerned.
Ray
Hi Ray
I feel concerned as far as you or others could be, it is (also) our goal to have a good server and good tech reponse so the forums are easy to browse/use...
Have a nice Sunday!

Ray West

Hi Nicolas,

I guess what I meant was, if when I first posted, some replies had been along the lines of, 'its just happened to me, too', then it may have been worth digging further. Unlesss you get statistics from your host, then you can not tell if its to do with them or with the www at large. Either way, if it was only a few interruptions on one day, its not a problem worth considering, imho. However, if said statistics show numerous interruptions, then you may want to ask them a few questions. It seems there are only ever a few people on here at the same time, and unless any of them were actually trying to download a thread, or why., at the same time, then it would be quite possible to not notice the loss of service, if that is what it was. As I mentioned, one of my sites, hosted by Verio was down for some hours, last year. I only knew about it when they emailed me. That site is my browser home page, but I rarely refresh it, since it sits in my local cache.

Its still Saturday here, but thanks for your wishes (
icon7.gif
), which are added to, and returned...
icon7.gif
icon7.gif

Best wishes,

Ray

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just to let you know, over the past 72 hours, there have been some minor glitches.

We have have experienced about four 1-6 minute periods when the server was overloaded by other traffic.

If you had difficulties in loading a page, my apologies. I have had them rectify the issue.

I get reports of any failures instantly.

Such things happen!

Asher