• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How can you get more attention to your pictures? Cross pollinate and critique others!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Right now, have you recently posted and image and are waiting for feedback? Well there are 40 other current pictures that you have not visited! So can we help cross pollinate. When you post one picture, comment on 3-4 others. That way, we'll get cross pollination

skyline3pano.jpg

Frank's Miami Skyline

342670580_T8yoG-L.jpg

Doug's "Headless Relationship" picture.

mg6567cw6.jpg

Ron Morse's series on a Mill stream and fall landscape.

ECD_4518.jpg

Eric Diller's wonderderful "Barred Owl" shot in a nearby tree.

Asher

Asher Kelman

All of us want as much exposure and feedback as possible. However, I've just looked at a sampling of image threads and found that often the very people waiting earnestly for comments, have not even written one word of an impression on the other current pictures!

So here's my suggestion. Make a rule, each time you are here, make one brief comment on a picture that catches your eye. If you post a picture then comment on 2-4 more.

Cem has given a guide to C&C, (Comment and Critique). You don't have to be a professor of art, a gallery owner or a pro!

Anything you like? What does it make you feel or think about it? Any questions on the making or meaning? Ideas for possible improvements. None of this is beyond anyone who can themselves make a picture to post!

So can we have you full support on this?

Thanks!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Charlotte has gone from distorting colors to delivering impressive beauty, here

DSC_1142.jpg

and would love to have your feedback!

btflah_bl_by_bad95killer.jpg

Did you see Husain Alfraid "Flowers and insects"?

Cherelle_4_Oktober_2008_workshop__26B.jpg

Did you notice Frank's model shoot with Cherelle?

or see how Mike Shimwell is "Learning to Ride a Bike Again" in making B&W picture in the wet daqrkroom with FP4 film?

2967923316_822d675606_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

Now these are just skimming the surface. So many worthy pictures miss our eye, meanwhile we check in to see who might have given feedback on our own pictures! So guys, do we get the point. We have a lot of treasures. Let's did them up and show how we feel about them!

Someone wrote to me as he was making a suggested edit, "Does anyone care?" The answer is "Yes!" but we have to demonstrate that interest. It's a mutual necessity!

What do you think?

Asher

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Me Me Me

I read nearly every post here. Comment on many. Post almost daily. Sometimes I feel like Atlas or like maybe some one else needs to put their two euros in here. Asher, you and the others have made a wonderful board. I believe I have grown so much being here - but it takes all of us.

Going to work on photos....

John Pecan

I am new here and this is a great idea..I have commented on several pictures that I liked..some I didn't have time to and now are hard to find..I haven't posted any pictures yet cause I haven't seen any advice on how to do that anywhere..still learning the site..but I do enjoy the wide range of photos here and the talent for sure..thanks for the advice here

Asher Kelman

I am new here and this is a great idea..I have commented on several pictures that I liked..some I didn't have time to and now are hard to find..I haven't posted any pictures yet cause I haven't seen any advice on how to do that anywhere..still learning the site..but I do enjoy
John,

Look up "critique" and Cem_Uaskligil. He recently made a nice introduction to commenting on images.

Briefly don't think you have to say more than you feel and that you know.

Ask yourself, what's the purpose of this picture: is this a doodly, a memory just for that person? Is it sloppy or has effort gone into it? Is it pleasing and if so why.

So first think of the positive. not for empty praise but what you like. What caught your attention, any feelings it evoked? What would you be choosing it for, if you selected it to show someone?

Then is there something you wish were done differently? Why is that. Is it your taste or would the stated or implied purpose of the photographer be better served by: doing it in color, usinf a wider aperture, focusing better etc etc depending on your own knowledge and gut feeling.

You may know enough about other photographs to reference these.

Maybe one of your own pictures illustrates a point you want to make or an alternate approach to issues covered in the picture shown.

So jump in. Find a picture you're impressed with in some way, an gingerly do your best. Of course, sometimes you will be way off but then we get corrected and learn!

Asher

Asher Kelman

1. Please add pictures here that you think we should be giving more attention.
  2. Whenever a new post is made, think of critiquing two images that interest you a lot.
Thanks for your help!

Asher

Rachel Foster

Asher, we all know I'm out of my league here as yet. When I've learned more about the craft I'll be able to say more than "oh, wow." For now....

All of the images here.....wow.