• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Hello from Tucson

I am alive and well!!! I only have a few seconds but I wanted to say hello. I am finally getting internet service installed tomorrow. Until then I have to rely on Starbuck's free wi-fi. My sister's house is wonderful and it sits smack dab in the middle of the desert with mountains on all sides. I am loving the seclusion. Here is a picture from the back yard and also a couple of shots of a bobcat that visited two days ago. It was actually born under the house so it comes back almost every day. More later. Please excuse the size. I am sorry about that.
James Newman
_DSC8327.jpg

kitty1.jpg

kitty2.jpg

Cem_Usakligil

Hi James,

Great to hear from you again. How's the new job going? All's well I hope :)
Looks like you have a great place over there, how generous of your sister.

Please let us know more when you're connected.

Cheers,

I am alive and well!!! I only have a few seconds but I wanted to say hello. I am finally getting internet service installed tomorrow.

Hi James,

Welcome back to the 'connected' world. I can imagine you've been busy moving and all.

I am loving the seclusion. Here is a picture from the back yard and also a couple of shots of a bobcat that visited two days ago.

It surely sounds like a special place to me. I hope you find the peace and seclusion to spark new photographic impulses (besides the new job challenges, obviously).

Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am alive and well!!!............

kitty1.jpg

James Newman Bob Cat!

James,

So that's a fine welcome! Probably most folk here have never even seen a photograph of bobcat, let alone have one in their back yard!

Some information: The Bobcat is believed to have evolved from the Eurasian Lynx, which crossed into North America by way of the Bering land bridge during the Pleistocene, with progenitors arriving as early as 2.6 mya.[4] The first wave moved into the southern portion of North America, which was soon cut off from the north by glaciers. This population evolved into modern Bobcats around 20,000 years ago. A second population arrived from Asia and settled in the north, developing into the modern Canadian Lynx.[3] Hybridization between the Bobcat and the Canadian lynx may sometimes occur (see felid hybrid).[6]

In Native American mythology bobcat is often twinned with the figure of coyote in a theme of duality.[45] Lynx and coyote are associated with the wind and fog, respectively—two elements representing opposites in Amerindian folklore. This basic story, in many variations, is found in the native cultures of North America (with parallels in South America), but they diverge in the telling. One version, which appears in the Nez Perce folklore for instance, depicts Lynx and coyote as opposed, antithetical beings.[46] However, another version depicts them with equality and identicality. Claude Lévi-Strauss argues that the former concept, that of twins representing opposites, is an inherent theme in New World mythologies, but that they are not equally balanced figures, representing an open-ended dualism rather than the symmetric duality of Old World cultures. The latter notion then, Lévi-Strauss suggests, is the result of regular contact between Europeans and native cultures. Additionally, the version found in the Nez Perce story is of much greater complexity, while the version of equality seems to have lost the tale's original meaning.[47] Source

just watch out for your pets!

Asher

Thanks everyone. I am finally back among the connected. My only choice for internet access way out here was either dial-up or satellite. I went satellite. I am using Wildblue and so far I am very happy with the service. It's not as fast as my DSL was but I think it will be more than adequate while here at my sister's house.

Thanks Asher for that wonderful explanation on the bobcat. Your interest and dedication to all things interesting are one of the reasons I keep visiting this forum. I will have to do some more research myself. Things here are so much different than what I am accustomed to. It all just looks and feels extremely ancient and mysterious out here.

My camera is usually always ready. Most things I have seen so far tend to move rather quickly so I always try and be ready for anything. The cat was really an easy target. When I saw him lying in the grass, I was inside the house looking out the window. I went quietly out the back door and walked around the house to the side wall where I had a better shot. He was still lying down. When he heard my camera click that is when he sat up for the first pictures. He stayed there a few seconds longer and then stood up, turned towards me, and started looking like he might be hungry! In the shot where his mouth is open and his teeth are visible, he was actually making a deep growling sound. That is when I backed away from the wall and made my escape back inside the house. I had no idea what an animal like this might do or how he might react. I looked out the window again and he was still there. I then opened the front door and he looked at me from only 20 feet away before he turned and walked rather calmly over to the front wall, jumped up on top of it, posed a bit for the last few shots, then silently jumped down behind the wall and walked off into the brush. It was a very exciting encounter to say the least.

Yesterday I saw a family of javelina over the back wall foraging in the bushes and cactus. There was the mother, father, and three babies. I ran back to get my camera but they either saw or heard me when I came back out and approached the wall because they vanished quickly before I could even get off a shot. My sister said I was very lucky and that they had only seen javalina two times in the 10 years they lived here. Apparently they are not so calm around people.

This is a little pano I put together showing some more of what is just on the other side of the back wall. I am looking forward to really exploring more out here. The macro possibilities are endless out there.
James Newman

backyardpanosmall.jpg