• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Why is Editing as Important as the Photo Shoot?

Why is Editing as Important as the Photo Shoot?

I decided writing this essay after going through close to twelve hundred (1200) images this afternoon. Why? Because I want to share with you the importance of editing and how it defines what your style is and what your state of mind was at the time of your decision to make the choices you made. I have observed that depending on the time of day, the mood I am in and how I am feeling about myself will have a dramatic effect on the choices I will make. When having to make that very important decision it is important to be aware of the state of mind you are in. If you are willing to make the commitment at the time you are editing, that will be what those who view your image as you the artist photographer will see. They will interpret you and your work based on that juncture in time. That is why I usually go through several stages during the editing process.

1. The adaptation period which is based on the first 10-20 images per series. This is where I observe the images and get a general feel of what I might expect from the expression of the model, general sense of composition and overall feel.

2. The settling in period. Where I am finding indicators of where I think a sequence is going and I am starting to define preferences.

3. The marking of choices marked and noted generally from 3 to 5 stars. I am usually overly generous at the onset, until I see a knock me out shot, where I then go back and mark the now not so great image accordingly.

4. The moving of the selects in to a separate file.

5. A resting period. I do not look at the images for a few hours before making the final choices.

6. The final selects from a reduced selection from the original selections.

7. The commencement of the post production

The editing process really expresses more about you than what was expressed during the actual photo production.

Photo shoots are frenetic at best and there are a multiplicity of concerns that do not allow me to delve as deeply in to the scenario as does the editing process. It is akin to shooting a film and viewing the rushes. My general rule of thumb is, if I have not gotten that "WOW" moment during the shooting of a sequence, I keep shooting till I do. If I don't, I know that the only thing that will save that sequence is a good rational or some damn innovative editing and post production work.

The photo shoot and production is not over until the editing and post production is completed. If you have poorly edited your images the outcome could be catastrophic. I cannot tell you how often a good editing job made the difference between an OK acceptably professional job and something very unique and special. If you saw some of the out takes of mine you would understand why choices in editing are so important. I could use all of the RAW material from the same photo shoot and produce what would look like two totally different photographers. Moods expressed as cold and detached to intense and passionate from exactly the same source.

That is why I said that the editing of the photo shoot or film is an extension of who you are and were during that process. Your mind set and emotional state at the time can be seen by those with discerning eyes.

I will end this by a little story. A wonderful Art Director named Martin Schmolgruber from Madame Figaro Magazine once said to me after I presented my photos to him the following, "I see you quit smoking Benjamin..." I said yeah I did, how did you know?" He responded, "I could tell by your images!"

http://www.benjaminkanarekblog.com/?p=900

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have observed that depending on the time of day, the mood I am in and how I am feeling about myself will have a dramatic effect on the choices I will make. When having to make that very important decision it is important to be aware of the state of mind you are in. If you are willing to make the commitment at the time you are editing, that will be what those who view your image as you the artist photographer will see. They will interpret you and your work based on that juncture in time. That is why I usually go through several stages during the editing process.

This Ben, raises another question. Do you always do this selection yourself to the very end. What's the ratio of images you deliver to the number needed? I find myself winnowing the collection down from thousands of shots (many subjects, say 20 or so) and then presenting the design group my picks of say 60-150 pictures from which they will choose say 10-20. However, I do not do the post-processing on these until they come up with a final selection. So an edge of the seamless or a flag might be in the picture to be removed later. To deal with everything beforehand is far too time-consuming. The only time I'll do corrections is when a key image has some "must-correct" issue. I try not to let that happen in the first place. Still, it concerns me that pictures that are not perfect have been handed over to a designer/PR team.

1. The adaptation period which is based on the first 10-20 images per series. This is where I observe the images and get a general feel of what I might expect from the expression of the model, general sense of composition and overall feel.

2. The settling in period. Where I am finding indicators of where I think a sequence is going and I am starting to define preferences.

3. The marking of choices marked and noted generally from 3 to 5 stars. I am usually overly generous at the onset, until I see a knock me out shot, where I then go back and mark the now not so great image accordingly.

4. The moving of the selects in to a separate file.

5. A resting period. I do not look at the images for a few hours before making the final choices.

6. The final selects from a reduced selection from the original selections.

7. The commencement of the post production

I too use a settling-in and cooling-off period in editing and post-processing. I agree, one needs to get out of the moment and get perspective. Does this really to represent me? So, after a serious edit, I leave that layer and do something else for 20 minutes to several hours. When I return, I try to use the least I can be happy with of that layer's changes.

The editing process really expresses more about you than what was expressed during the actual photo production.

Photo shoots are frenetic at best and there are a multiplicity of concerns that do not allow me to delve as deeply in to the scenario as does the editing process. It is akin to shooting a film and viewing the rushes. My general rule of thumb is, if I have not gotten that "WOW" moment during the shooting of a sequence, I keep shooting till I do. If I don't, I know that the only thing that will save that sequence is a good rational or some damn innovative editing and post production work.

The photo shoot and production is not over until the editing and post production is completed. If you have poorly edited your images the outcome could be catastrophic. I cannot tell you how often a good editing job made the difference between an OK acceptably professional job and something very unique and special.
Ben,

That's reassuring to hear! A lot of Pros wouldn't admit such failings in public. I commend you for it as it is the truth and shows the skills one needs to actually pull of a successful job is not only the team during the shoot, but also one's skills afterwards to make sure the project doesn't go limp before it's delivered!

If you saw some of the out takes of mine you would understand why choices in editing are so important. I could use all of the RAW material from the same photo shoot and produce what would look like two totally different photographers. Moods expressed as cold and detached to intense and passionate from exactly the same source.
I'd like you to write an article, just on that with examples! Such a piece would be very instructive!

Daniel Buck

I too use a settling-in and cooling-off period in editing and post-processing. I agree, one needs to get out of the moment and get perspective. Does this really to represent me? So, after a serious edit, I leave that layer and do something else for 20 minutes to several hours. When I return, I try to use the least I can be happy with of that layer's changes.

Indeed! Your eyes will get used to seeing the image, and eventually you'll glaze over certain parts of the image.

A trick we use at work (not photography, but similar in a lot of ways) is to play the footage mirrored left to right, and then top to bottom, and back and forth a few times. When you see the footage/image flipped and flopped like this, you will see different things in the image that you didn't see before. Maybe an odd area of contrast, or something else that just doesn't look right. (which is particularly nice for us, since we have to create most everything from scratch)

And for sure, after working long hours for a few weeks straight on a project, after coming back to look at the final project after a week or so of working on a different project (or coming from a a bit of vacation time!), it usually looks quite a bit better than seeing it right after working on it for a long time! Funny how that works :-D Usually it ends up looking better than I remember it, though sometimes it feels like it looks worse. I guess that depends on how I was viewing the project as it completed.

This Ben, raises another question. Do you always do this selection yourself to the very end. What's the ratio of images you deliver to the number needed? I find myself winnowing the collection down from thousands of shots (many subjects, say 20 or so) and then presenting the design group my picks of say 60-150 pictures from which they will choose say 10-20. However, I do not do the post-processing on these until they come up with a final selection. So an edge of the seamless or a flag might be in the picture to be removed later. To deal with everything beforehand is far too time-consuming. The only time I'll do corrections is when a key image has some "must-correct" issue. I try not to let that happen in the first place. Still, it concerns me that pictures that are not perfect have been handed over to a designer/PR team.

Ben,

That's reassuring to hear! A lot of Pros wouldn't admit such failings in public. I commend you for it as it is the truth and shows the skills one needs to actually pull of a successful job is not only the team during the shoot, but also one's skills afterwards to make sure the project doesn't go limp before it's delivered!

I'd like you to write an article, just on that with examples! Such a piece would be very instructive!

In most cases I do my final edits with "Freddy Baby Paris" my retouching artist. For editorial magazine work, I only show my final image already retouched. However, on some occasions the editor of the magazine may ask for 3-5 selects from each sequence. I don't like to do so, but will. I do a bit of post prod, if I know someone out side of "Freddy Baby Paris" and myself might see the images, i.e. color correction, contrast, USM and Shadow Highlight. Basically my little pre-post production thing. I never show RAW stuff to the editor. I have less of a choice with Ad Agencies. As I am usually tethered, they see the images as they come off of the camera before I do :-(.

As to an article. Sure, when I have a bit of time :)