• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

help needed and tips, for a car show.

I have never done much photography of cars, except for quick snapshots.
I have a friend that was going to do a car shoot for an outside car show on the 16th of Aug. but other plans made it impossible for him to do, and another guy was going to do it, well he also had to change plans, So stupid me volunteered to do it, besides I need the experience to do it.
I have three weeks before the car show. And right now I'm trying to plan how I want to shoot.
I'm in the process of trying to get permission for a roof top access to shoot a semi-wide angle of the cars in town with the people.
And I already have a slight knowledge for the lay of the town as far as the shade and bright sun light.
So here is my problem now, I really don't want to out do my friend and take away any further shoots from the club, However I do want to make an impression.
What else do I need to do for a plan or am I going from it all wrong and backwards?
Any other tips on using a UV filter or a Neutral Density filter, Can I stack them together or choose one or the other?

Admins or mods feel free to move to the correct section.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cody,

I know the feeling when one jumps in to volunteer and then one realizes what one has done is perhaps beyond one's certainty to deliver. So let's ask the big questions:

What is going to be done with the pictures you deliver? Is it just for a photo club or someone's relying on this for memories or for commercial use?

Often, for a fun picture, most snappers will do just fine. Just fine. Watch out to move so as to include what you need and exclude what you don''t or at least have the ability to crop out unwanted features later. Even for a local paper, your snaps will doubtless include a good shot they'll like.

If, by chance they plan on some higher purpose, then they had better hire someone who can for sure deliver as, like wedding photography, "friends with a camera" who lack back up technique and gear, may quickly find themselves in trouble.

So what's the purpose. Some hints, don't over expose the highlights of the car and watch out for reflections of everything around. Scout the place before hand at exactly the time of the event. Just thirty minutes later the car could be out of the shadows and in very bright sun. Can you still take the picture at that time? Better start earlier or later when the sun is not harsh. If you have clouds going past, weight till they are overhead for the best light.

If you have to shoot in bright sun, that's a huge challenge for most folk. Then use a tripod and bracket, at least one under-exposed to get the chrome and specular reflections tamed. A polarizing filter might help you by also may change the look of the sky. Try that before hand.

Good luck,

Asher

Asher,

This one friend does do wedding and other nicer work.
As far as the big question all I do know is they will be posted on the web, there might be some of them might be for prints, I really never ask.
I know this is going to challenging for me to do, but I'm slowly mentaly preparing myself for it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher,

This one friend does do wedding and other nicer work.
As far as the big question all I do know is they will be posted on the web, there might be some of them might be for prints, I really never ask.
I know this is going to challenging for me to do, but I'm slowly mentaly preparing myself for it.
For sure you'll do well then. Just visit with your lenses you might use at the time of the real shoot and photograph a friends car or a car that's parked conveniently for you!

That's the real way to tackle this. Getting it right is mostly knowing your world as much as a lion know it's own! Difference is you don't need to chase off other lions nor pee on every tree! But you do need to get to the best position for the kill!

Asher