• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What an amazing place

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

My successful attainment of the age of 72 (it seemed simple enough - I just woke up last Thursday morning) has given me extra impetus to reflect on the wonders of the universe around me, and today it is OPF's turn to suffer from this wave of intro- and extra-spection.

Actually, I just wanted to comment on the amazing breadth, depth, and quality of achievement of the photographs presented in this forum.

It makes one very spoiled. It "sets a very high bar" for me as I examine the photographic work I often see in various media.

That is not at all to say that I personally enjoy all of the styles and approaches. Some I find really weird, but this is true of almost all art forms (there is a lot of "well regarded" music I don't like at all).

I am just excited to know that among the eclectic group that gathers here for "salon" there is so much talent and insight.

As for me, I'm just a "camera engineer", not much of a photographer. And of course that's an "art form" that not everybody appreciates, either.

I commend you for your work in keeping the wheel turning here. And kudos in excelsis (how's that for a polyglot neologism!)** to all those who contribute, both through photographs themselves and in criticism (in the best and broadest meaning of that term).

It is a wonderful universe that the Creator (through his clever engine, Darwinian evolution) has generated. Wonderful art is not just a representation of it (in some cases) but a wonderful part of it.

** Its acronym is "kudinex". Please remember that "radar" is an acronym. Acronyms need not be initialisms (although we sometimes tend to think that they must be).

Cem_Usakligil

Kudinex set at hyperfocal distance to Doug

...As for me, I'm just a "camera engineer", not much of a photographer. And of course that's an "art form" that not everybody appreciates, either.
Hi Doug,

As a fellow engineer, please believe me that I appreciate your "art of camera engineering" more than you can imagine. Thanks for being there and sharing your wisdom with us.

Cheers,

Shane Carter

Well cannot comment on the engineering part, you guys are a mystery and a marvel to me...but congrats on 72 and being energized on life! :)

Michael Fontana

pro member
Doug
congratulations for your birthday!

Using the occasion to let you know that I appreciate very much your input here; even if I often don't reply. One reason might be - coming from the image side - it takes a bit of effort, to understand it fully; english not beeing my native language.

Best, Michael

Doug Kerr

Hi, Michael,

Doug
congratulations for your birthday!

Using the occasion to let you know that I appreciate very much your input here; even if I often don't reply
Thanks so much.

One reason might be - coming from the image side - it takes a bit of effort, to understand it fully; english not beeing my native language.

I understand, and much of it is a bit tough even for people for whom Engish is their native language!

Best regards,

Doug