• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Photography by X Ray fluorescence?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Light coming from behind added ink land paint layers is captured by a camera.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/5235894.stm

The light is a fluorescence coming from exciting ancient ink layed down by Archimedes in the 3rd Century!

This reveals hidden treatese on foundations of modern science written 800 years ago and obscured by reusing the parchments as a Greek Orthodox prayer book.

"The goatskin parchment records key details of Archimedes work, considered the foundation of modern mathematics.

The writings include the only Greek version of On Floating Bodies known to exist, and the only surviving ancient copies of The Method of Mechanical Theorems and the Stomachion"

Now does this qualify as photgraphy? I think it does!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
That's an interesting article. I can't believe I haven't heard of x-rays being used like that before. Thanks for sharing.

Kristin,

It's amazing that so much can be unravelled after nearly 1000 years of being hidden. Photography is an amazing way of cheating time and outing deceit.

Asher

Michael Nagel

About 15 years ago I worked at a synchrotron within a group developing detectors for scientific applications. The largest project in this group was the development of a CCD camera using an X-Ray Image Intensifier. The purpose of this camera was to record images from X-Ray diffraction patterns in real-time.

Another possibility is making use of Image Plates. These have to be scanned after exposure, thus real-time recording is not possible. The size of these 'negatives' can be very large and consist of several sheets, as the size of the scanner is the limiting factor. These are truly large format negatives!

There are many different uses of photography in science, the results can be appealing, even if the initial intend was to obtain data/information.

Best regards,
Michael