• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Frost bites

Jarmo Juntunen

No Northern Lights but some nice moonlight.

_img1280.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The moon is bright!

Why did you resist the temptation to open up the shadows. After all, our eyes do that naturally.

Just wondering, but not saying you nade a mistake, LOL!

Asher

Peter Dexter

I think the presentation with the underexposed scene beyond the moon gives a quite accurate representation of what that visual experience would be like in person. If you looked at the brightness of moon then the scene around it would indeed be this dark

Jarmo Juntunen

I'm with Peter on this one. It would be very easy to make these shots appear more bright but I think they would loose much in atmosphere by that. This is certainly close to what I saw last night.

Thank you for your feedback, Asher and Peter.

Asher Kelman

Getting the moon in the frame does make things a bit difficult. So, here's one without the moon.

_img1280.jpg

I like this too! The pink in the sky is like getting extra blueberries in ones icecream!

But the issue is with human perception that when one takes in the moon, the pupil constricts, cutting down the light. But looking at the trees, first the pupils dilate wide open and next the brain remaps that narrow dark area of the grey scale with dim whites to allow better discrimination all over.

With a photograph, we can combine both conditions to get more closely, (albeit in a static 2D form), what occurs in the real 3D world where we scan the field and rotate and bend our necks to take in everything with both eyes and our memories and short recall as well as 3 D processing. There is a huge amount of cerebral post-processing and stitching of adjacent overlapping fields and rebalancing out of "apparent" light intensity.

However, as the artist, you have the choice of taking one shot and saying, this is the "truth" of the matter, because for that moment and camera sensitivity, that's exactly what was recorded and translated to your photograph.

It's obvious that you could have chosen to rebalance the grey scale and I respect your choice!

Asher

Jarmo Juntunen

I like this too! The pink in the sky is like getting extra blueberries in ones icecream!

But the issue is with human perception that when one takes in the moon, the pupil constricts, cutting down the light. But looking at the trees, first the pupils dilate wide open and next the brain remaps that narrow dark area of the grey scale with dim whites to allow better discrimination all over.

With a photograph, we can combine both conditions to get more closely, (albeit in a static 2D form), what occurs in the real 3D world where we scan the field and rotate and bend our necks to take in everything with both eyes and our memories and short recall as well as 3 D processing. There is a huge amount of cerebral post-processing and stitching of adjacent overlapping fields and rebalancing out of "apparent" light intensity.

However, as the artist, you have the choice of taking one shot and saying, this is the "truth" of the matter, because for that moment and camera sensitivity, that's exactly what was recorded and translated to your photograph.

It's obvious that you could have chosen to rebalance the grey scale and I respect your choice!

Asher

I agree. Can't think of any valid comments other than saying "thank you". By the way, the pinkish night clouds were the reason for this shot. I've never seen formations like this before. Like strikes or lines in the sky. The pinkish hue is a product of a nearby town, Rovaniemi.

Asher Kelman

I agree. Can't think of any valid comments other than saying "thank you". By the way, the pinkish night clouds were the reason for this shot. I've never seen formations like this before. Like strikes or lines in the sky. The pinkish hue is a product of a nearby town, Rovaniemi.

I appreciate seeing work that is unique and so stimulating!

So it's i who have to thank you, Jarmo!

Asher

Wow, Jarmo, the sky in that night shot without the moon is incredible. I also really like the one with your daughter, she always steals the show! heh!