• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Edinburgh Dean Village.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
From a trip to Edinburgh Mono and Colour.

Mono by Gordon Baird, on Flickr

IG9A0018 by Gordon Baird, on Flickr

Gordon,

I have visited your picture a number of times and can not readily chose which of the two versions I prefer. The B&W seems more classic and scholarly, but the one with color is more alive.

As you already have show alternatives to presentation I can guess that your mind is. It already made up as to how you might print this shot.

If that’s The case, and it’s not “finished” in your mind, and only then, I would offer that at least the lower 1/4 of the picture asserts a distraction on the power of the fine scene above. However, that is only my opinion and you may well have important considerations that demand the extra span of dark river.

In any case, this will make a great addition to a photography book or article!

Asher

Asher I see you say you have visited this vista many times. Do you arrange meetings?.

It helps to put faces to names...

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Asher I see you say you have visited this vista many times. Do you arrange meetings?.

It helps to put faces to names...

I visited your pictures repeatedly! I just took time to ingest the grandeur and go from that to even starting to approach the stark difference in presentation of the two versions of one image. Not often we are given choices that are each so good but very different in emotive leverage. So I would leave the pictures to return and still be transfixed but not able to rank which moved me more.

I do arrange meetings. I have tried to meet quite a few of the folk here but I have many more to arrange!

Asher

I visited your pictures repeatedly! I just took time to ingest the grandeur and go from that to even starting to approach the stark difference in presentation of the two versions of one image. Not often we are given choices that are each so good but very different in emotive leverage. So I would leave the pictures to return and still be transfixed but not able to rank which moved me more.

I do arrange meetings. I have tried to meet quite a few of the folk here but I have many more to arrange!

Asher

It was just a question to see if any of the group meet up to take photos anywhere here in Scotland.

I also prefer the color one as I find that the black and white version actually feels unhappy or macabre without any specific mood. I am wondering if in post, you darkened the blue sky, as it looks almost black. For some reason, it makes me feel uneasy, not sure why, while the color one looks like a lovely place to visit. As for composition, I like the river showing as I find it leads the eye into the image nicely. Just my opinion. :) Maggie