• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Messing with a P45

Rob.Martin

My 1Ds2 I sold thinking there was going to be a new machine coming out.
So, boredom, house moving and general "need to upgrade" feelings kicked in big time.
So the P45 is here now and we've been puting it through its paces.
More soon on this, but I must admit, the medium format thing is starting to grow on me more and more.
Love the lenses, the H1 is nice to use.
Does anyone here use a Gyro setup? I'd love to see / hear stories.
(the 500500500 you see on the first crop, below the finger, cannot be read with the naked eye, mine at least)
crop1.jpg

crop2.jpg

main1.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Rob,

Congratualtions on your fine purchase! What lenses are you using for this?

I'm not sure you did the test right! Could you send it to me for more exhaustive testing?

Rainer has experience with gyro I believe!

Asher

Rob.Martin

A great resolution example

H1, P45, MLU, Tripod, nice afternoon on a Hill in Pataya, Thailand
The first photo is a long super zoom, about 20 miles away... or is it???
This is a crop from the H1's 35mm lens I took up for the sunset (which didn't eventuate)
so as the sun went down, I took this shot back across the bay.
The red square in the next picture (resized) shows where the crop was taken from.

__Crop.jpg

__Main.jpg

Asher Kelman

First, this is stunning!

I love the colors. The greens look very much alive and healthy. Did you take more pictures to get the left side of the bay?

What is the pixel size of this image? I'd love to know how large it could be printed and be looked at closely without breakdown.

This one picture could be the source of many challenges for this forum.

Optimization, composition, printing just to start.

I'm very impressed!

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Rob,

Very impressive detail. Charles Cramer says his P45 equals 4x5 fim scanned on Heidelberg Tango. He sent me a sample print from a P45 detail, and I can assert this is the case. The only exception, also according to Charlie, is when digital artifacts are present, which apparently happens mostly in highlights. With natural subjects this is not so often the case.

Asher Kelman

According to Rainer, the Phase One backs do very well for materials like metals in steel buildings or aluminum where other cameras show a lot of noise.

Asher

Alain Briot

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
According to Rainer, the Phase One backs do very well for materials like metals in steel buildings or aluminum where other cameras show a lot of noise.
Asher

And the new version has even lower noise than the original P45. Note that noise and digital artifacts are two different issues.

Rob.Martin

John Hurshman said:
Rob,

Congratulations on the P45; I knew you'd get it sooner or later. Now the major questions are:

1.) Have you ordered your Zeiss 1700mm f/4 lens for your safari work
(http://www.zeiss.com/c12567a8003b58b9/Contents-Frame/8baac109cb80bddfc12571e100393a1b)

2.) Are you going to change the ID of your website to p45.com?

Best,

John

John, I couldn;t resist. The 1Ds2N is delayed, so I had time and money (never enough) on my hands. So I took the plunge. 1Ds.com will survive because it's simple and 3 letter domains are not that common. :)

The 1700 F4 looks a little large for me. Remember I have the 600/4 and 400/2.8 etc etc etal to carry around.

Rob.Martin

A few

Asher Kelman said:
First, this is stunning!
I love the colors. The greens look very much alive and healthy. Did you take more pictures to get the left side of the bay?
What is the pixel size of this image? I'd love to know how large it could be printed and be looked at closely without breakdown.
I'm very impressed!
Asher
The P45 image is 7216x5412 (http://www.phaseone.com/upload/p_45_us.pdf)
The crop here is actual pixels.
I find my 22MP P25 images looked positively 3D, I have not printed anything large yet from the P45 (been busy travelling)
Rob