• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Software Deals

If it looks to good to be true....... but how can these people claim to be certified by some important players?
http://discount-oem.com/

Hi Clayton,

A search for the internet background of the domain "discount-oem.com" gives:
Registrant Name: Paul Foulke
Registrant Organization: NA
Registrant Street1: 512 W. Main Street
Registrant Street2:
Registrant City: Balsam Lake
Registrant State/Province: WI
Registrant Postal Code: 54810
Registrant Country: US
Registrant Phone: 1.3139194887

Name Servers:
ns1.lodns.ru
ns2.lodns.ru
ns3.lodns.ru
ns4.lodns.ru

I don't know if that's an existing person at that address, but with their nameservers in Russia, who's gonna touch them when they run with your creditcard info...

Besides, companies like Adobe haven't provided OEM licences since ages and they don't certify resellers, and the fancy Microsoft Gold certification is for software developers, not resellers, so whatever one gets (if anything) it's not going to work.
In general, buy from a reputable address, and don't worry about missing out on a deal, you're not.

Cheers,
Bart

Clayton Lofgren

About what I suspected, although on the web page they have a San Francisco address and 800 number.
My first experience with Adobe was when I had a friend bring me Elements 2 from the states. That cost me $130. As soon as I had it working I went to the store and bought a $100 scanner that came with free Elements 2. Ever since I have been reluctant to pay full price to Adobe.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
If it looks to good to be true....... but how can these people claim to be certified by some important players?
http://discount-oem.com/

Adobe, like Microsoft revolutionized the role of the software tinkerer by matching it to mass marketing and a steady rise in price with each version. The earliest software was efficiently written for machines with 16k memory and no wastage of space was allowed. However, the software companies have gobbled up competitors and with larger teams, give out new editions every year and have us "need" to buy updates. Each new processor allows a new improved version and we pay "taxes" to keep up our role as little hamsters turning a wheel which we are addicted to.

Somehow, we feel it's all wrong and so when there's an opportunity to get software for cheap, it sounds like we are lucky. This is a break we've deserved for so long. At last we're lucky! Many visitors who go to the risky parts of town also end up getting more screwed than they bargained for!

The good reaction to all this is the opportunity it gives to newcomers! When someone with an original way of thinking, sees the software bloat can decide to write a fresh version of software to do the job better and for less! The market has already been created by the very big boys. With RAW processing this is evident as with panorama building or image stacking and so forth. Now if we don't pay for this work, then we'll not get innovation and Adobe will have no need to do its very best for us either!

We can say, "If we don't pay Adobe, they won't suffer and if they do, so what!" This often goes through our minds. Still, I have bought all my software at the best price from regular retailers.

First, I don't want to steal, although I must admit I'd taste a mushroom in the supermarket now and again. Next I don't want malware. To put faith in some murky relationship and end up with some applets serving someone in Russia is unattractive to me. Lastly I wouldn't want my work to be stolen and so it would be hypocritical to take the very valuable creative work of someone else without paying the market price.

Asher