• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Colour exhibition

Antonio Correia

2011-01-30-170848-2-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

All these new pictures are a considerable departure from your monochrome portraits. Those are classic photography of a genre that defined many a master. We immediately recognize and understand the genre and your “fingerprints” in the esthetics and design of the work.

Here I am learning a new language from you and it’s interesting. You have started observing the world differently.

Have you been influenced by the “Rouges” and “Noirs” series by Nicolas Claris

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for commenting...
I am trying to make a new approach with the manipulation of colours even if to do so, I have to dig for old (non erased) photographs.
Sometimes, one erases images because we don not like them. However, later we realize that a new approach is possible.
It doesn't mean that one must keep all the photographs even those completely out of focus for example... Hard to define a criteria...
-
I have been influenced on this manipulation - at the beginning - by Guy Tal even if his image looks like a bit repetitive, sometimes. But it is a new vision for me, a new perspective, a new way to look...
Another great influence and more recent one, is Hans Strand a Swedish whose manipulations don't look so, I would say manipulated ;)
Others, like Michael Gordon making workshops with Guy Tal.
I couldn't forget Edward Burtynsky and his gorgeous images from the helicopter... with great and overwhelming projects of the Anthropocene !

But, I have not stopped doing B&W completely which is reserved to other projects.

2018-02-25%4009.52.01-X2.jpg

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher for commenting...
I am trying to make a new approach with the manipulation of colours even if to do so, I have to dig for old (non erased) photographs.
Sometimes, one erases images because we don not like them. However, later we realize that a new approach is possible.
It doesn't mean that one must keep all the photographs even those completely out of focus for example... Hard to define a criteria...
-
I have been influenced on this manipulation - at the beginning - by Guy Tal even if his image looks like a bit repetitive, sometimes. But it is a new vision for me, a new perspective, a new way to look...
Another great influence and more recent one, is Hans Strand a Swedish whose manipulations don't look so, I would say manipulated ;)
Others, like Michael Gordon making workshops with Guy Tal.
I couldn't forget Edward Burtynsky and his gorgeous images from the helicopter... with great and overwhelming projects of the Anthropocene !

But, I have not stopped doing B&W completely which is reserved to other projects.

Bold and beautiful! One of your most significant! It has fingerprints!

....Antonio,

I am so very proud of you for being an explorer and finding new horizons to broach. You were always good at the architectural design of portraits and landscape but now you are getting down to touching the skin of her cheek, and brushing through nature’s hair! You’re getting brave and involved!

This last picture is a delightful creation and so expressive, but still anchored to our beautiful planet. You have gone far but we are still grounded and your work is approachable.

Friend Nicolas Claris would be an ample fellow to follow, but you have picked stellar role models some of which are new to me and I will seek out.

I am trying to learn with you.

BTW, did you visit with Guy or go to a workshop ....and in Europe?

Asher

Antonio Correia

Thank you Asher for your comments. You flatter me too much. I am not that good.

Asher, a workshop with Guy Tal or Burtynsky (if he does them... I do not know) would be out of my budget. However, I do not think so participating in a workshop with Hans Strand.
The only issue with him would be I do not have any - I mean any - equipment to stay outside in the cold: no boots, no gloves... zero !
You realize the extra expensive that would involve.
In Portugal, it is not possible to rent this equipment.
With this image the thread ends in terms of showing the exhibited images.
This kind of work is to be continued...

Cheers ! :)

Asher Kelman

Thank you Asher for your comments. You flatter me too much. I am not that good.

Asher, a workshop with Guy Tal or Burtynsky (if he does them... I do not know) would be out of my budget. However, I do not think so participating in a workshop with Hans Strand.
The only issue with him would be I do not have any - I mean any - equipment to stay outside in the cold: no boots, no gloves... zero !
You realize the extra expensive that would involve.
In Portugal, it is not possible to rent this equipment.
With this image the thread ends in terms of showing the exhibited images.
This kind of work is to be continued...

Cheers ! :)

Antonio,

I do not flatter. Nor do I refer to all the pictures you have shared. (Your collection might need curating and selection down the road).

Rather I try to highlight achievement that is distinguishing and worthwhile. Your portraits, albeit in a limited studio, have reached a standard and maturity, on a par with successful and well regarded veteran photgraphers collected in galleries. This new work is entirely different and leverages not on either the meticulous observation of personality, pose and composition, but instead the substance and textures of which photographers have made their images and have generally been presented, drained of color in B&W. In doing so the gross anatomy of objects is not so important here as the texture, contrast and layout of subunits.

You didn’t, as of yet, become a Miro, (you have textures, but not pure shapes), but you do seem to have booked a ride on that train!

Ashef

Asher Kelman

This could make a stunning 8 ft wide picture fused behind Museum plexiglass!

I would use the new Topaz A-I filter to ensure a perfect enlargement!

Asher