• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

To a dear friend of mine....

Cem_Usakligil

...this is the stuff memories are made of, very special ones!
ak1.jpg

Cheers,

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

This is a delightful image; emotionally and technically. What's really special is the toning and beautiful grain as well the apparent almost innocent pensive gentleness of these two priests versus the energetic opportunism the kneeling photographer. Look how the two men are patiently pausing to have their pictures taken, something not included in any of the possibilities they might have imagined a minute before.

What where they thinking about just before this? Was it salvation, the correct translation for a biblical passage, what to eat for supper, how long it would take to get around the entire collection?

Did you see that the height of the priest on the right lifts up a sloping line to mimic that of the staircase. With the position reversed, the composition would have changed!

Good shot and thanks for sharing,

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Ah!

The photographer (the one we see on the picture, not Cem…) must be very, very old now and may have a lot of pain in back and chest ! ;-)

Cem_Usakligil

...Did you see that the height of the priest on the right lifts up a sloping line to mimic that of the staircase. With the position reversed, the composition would have changed!..
Hi Asher,

This goes to show that taking good pictures works according to the recipe:
- have a good eye for composition 45%
- know your equipment well 35%
- be ready to shoot on very short notice 20%
- trust on lady luck to present such opputunities as the staircase reflecting the heights of the priests: priceless.

Cheers,

This is fabulous getting to see someone else working hard trying to capture that one special moment. I too really like the look and feel with the grain, tone, and vignetting. How old is the photo really? Is the photographer in your photo the dear friend you mention in your title? Have you seen the photo that he made at this instant in time? That would be interesting to see as well.
James Newman

NC Iphone

Yeah!
That would be wonderfull if the other photog could post thepic of the priest!!!

Maybe with a little chance, he's not too old and is lurking around...

Gary Ayala

Cem-

Why is this titled "to a dear friend of mine..."? Is this in memorial?

In any case kneeling to priests is always a good thing ... some call it insurance.

Gary

Cem_Usakligil

This is fabulous getting to see someone else working hard trying to capture that one special moment. I too really like the look and feel with the grain, tone, and vignetting. How old is the photo really? Is the photographer in your photo the dear friend you mention in your title? Have you seen the photo that he made at this instant in time? That would be interesting to see as well.
James Newman
Hi James,

The photo is precisely 7 months old today. ;-)
Further: yes, no and yes.

Cem-

Why is this titled "to a dear friend of mine..."? Is this in memorial?

In any case kneeling to priests is always a good thing ... some call it insurance.

Gary
Oh no, nothing like a memorial thank goodness! But insurance is good, LOL.

PS: take a look at the name of the jpg file for any clues.

Cheers,

Gary Ayala

ahhhhhh ... lol ... and he's genuflecting to God(s) other than his own ... he must know the value of good insurance ... this looks like the Getty Center.

Gary

james sperry

Cem,

This is a delightful image; emotionally and technically. What's really special is the toning and beautiful grain as well the apparent almost innocent pensive gentleness of these two priests versus the energetic opportunism the kneeling photographer. Look how the two men are patiently pausing to have their pictures taken, something not included in any of the possibilities they might have imagined a minute before.

What where they thinking about just before this? Was it salvation, the correct translation for a biblical passage, what to eat for supper, how long it would take to get around the entire collection?

Did you see that the height of the priest on the right lifts up a sloping line to mimic that of the staircase. With the position reversed, the composition would have changed!

Good shot and thanks for sharing,

Asher

hello ash,
i hope that i'm not being to protruding in my question wich i will get to in a second. i just want to lead into it real quick.

your statements talk about how the stair railing flows with the priests but nothing about how the photographer continues the flow with the horizontal railing around the walkway. you also said that the image was 'emotional' for you as well, and your question that "what were they thinking about just before this?" (honestly, to me) has a double play to it.... as in .. the question could be for both the photographer(s) or the priests.

there is a story behind every image a photographer makes and i kind of get the feeling that maybe cem and yourself are somehow involved together with this image.......... so .... my question is this. why is the image also emotional for you? (if i may :) ).

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Beautiful

Cem,

The finish on that is very beautiful. I am sure that was a special day, etched in the memory of several friends. The subject photographer is a very interesting chap and well photographed and documented.

Time sure flies when you are having fun. Seven months ago - but the image is timeless.

Editing to add that the photographer has a gift of gab like few I have met and captivates his subjects - one of the most important tools in the camera bag.

Mike Shimwell

ahhhhhh ... lol ... and he's genuflecting to God(s) other than his own ... he must know the value of good insurance ... this looks like the Getty Center.

Gary

That may be going a bit far:)

I believe that I have seen more of this photographer than from in recent months, but his contribution is certainly of great value

Mike

nicolas claris

take a look at the name of the jpg file for any clues.

Completely OT (as anyway the photographer shown on your picture, apparently doesn't wish to do his coming out ;-) and BTW, as you requested one to look at the name of the file, I can see that there is a usakligil.com, but it's empty, no index.whatever, nothing, nada, niente, rien du tout!

That's a pity and almost a shame… you should have you're own website showing your images Cem.
True, beieve me!
Do you want we make a poll here?
It should certainly become a pole…

Cem_Usakligil

Completely OT (as anyway the photographer shown on your picture, apparently doesn't wish to do his coming out ;-) and BTW, as you requested one to look at the name of the file, I can see that there is a usakligil.com, but it's empty, no index.whatever, nothing, nada, niente, rien du tout!

That's a pity and almost a shame… you should have you're own website showing your images Cem.
True, beieve me!
Do you want we make a poll here?
It should certainly become a pole…
Hi Nicolas,

I should confess that before joining OPF I have had a mostly anonymous life on the Internet. As such, having my own "vanity" web site was never an option. Recently, I have been considering to put up a gallery of my pictures but I am afraid that it will be one of the many millions which "pollute" the web, if you get what I mean ;-). Let me think this through. If I do it, there must be a purpose to it.

Cheers,

nicolas claris

Hi cem

one of the best purpose is to propose to an audience the possibility to see your images. They desserve it!
I guess that, as you don't have (for now!) any commercial idea in mind, when you shoot an image, there should be somewhere in your mind the envy to share what you've seen…

The good thing with Internet is that no gallery do pollute as it is easy to surf away from a website that you don't like…

Asher Kelman

James,

The gentleness of the 2 men was the touching of emotion that effects me looking at the picture. The photographer is just pleased as punch that the two of them are so friendly and willing to participate. Yes the photographer completes the horizontal part of the picture and anchors it.

I'll have to see if I can get hold of the pictures taken but I doubt they have the elegant composition shown here!

Asher

fahim mohammed

A stunning and emotionally impacting image for me. For two resons:

1. The image itself is classic, superbly crafted and presented.

2. By a very good friend of mine, whose presence I sorely miss in these forums.

Stay well Cem.

Our best regards.

Asher Kelman

A stunning and emotionally impacting image for me. For two resons:

1. The image itself is classic, superbly crafted and presented.

2. By a very good friend of mine, whose presence I sorely miss in these forums.

Stay well Cem.

Our best regards.

Cem and his dear wife drove up from Amsterdam to meet us in Paris. Nicolas Claris came up north from bordeaux with his lovely wife too. We met, 3 couples, in our rented apartment 6 stories above the Seine through our main windows and the Louvre from the right side. That was for New Year 2012. It's hard to believe that time is past us, as it's all like yesterday!

Asher