• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

High Performance Internal SSD RAID Array for Mac Pro

Ah, I get it. So, when Windows caching (aka, SuperFetch or Windows Host Services in Task Manager) is pigging all the RAM, you use CleverCache to force it back down...

Right now it looks like Windows caching is at about 100mb for me right now... thats after a reboot... I assume I could reclaim SOME of that by using CleverCache - is that the idea?

Yes, depending on one's preferences (which can be changed, whenever the need arises, per activated process if desired), and it runs automatically in the background. To give you an idea, when on 'AutoSense', I currently have 2071 MB of the total 8000 MB RAM in use (Photoshop open with one 21MB image, video in the background, browsing 10 websites, and having several Explorer windows open to move files, and the virus scanner is probably doing its background tasks, as are a number of other processes). Photoshop has plenty of RAM available for Scratch when needed, before the efficiency drops below 100%.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Yes, depending on one's preferences (which can be changed, whenever the need arises, per activated process if desired), and it runs automatically in the background. To give you an idea, when on 'AutoSense', I currently have 2071 MB of the total 8000 MB RAM in use (Photoshop open with one 21MB image, video in the background, browsing 10 websites, and having several Explorer windows open to move files, and the virus scanner is probably doing its background tasks, as are a number of other processes). Photoshop has plenty of RAM available for Scratch when needed, before the efficiency drops below 100%.

Cheers,
Bart

But then, have a 1.5 GB file, with 15-40 layers and what happens? I can't imagine that efficiency stays at 100% with a small scratch disk that is not defragmented or the startup drive with the OS and PS being nearly full up with generous contiguous free space for the OS to breathe!

Asher

But then, have a 1.5 GB file, with 15-40 layers and what happens? I can't imagine that efficiency stays at 100% with a small scratch disk that is not defragmented or the startup drive with the OS and PS being nearly full up with generous contiguous free space for the OS to breathe!

Hi Asher,

When the allocated percentage of RAM allotted to scratch is used up, an SSD or a number of striped RAID disks will allow to keep the perfomance at a high level. All I'm saying is that, with Windows 7 purring along happily, there are options to postpose the moment of performance degradation. Of course with one's OS and the various temporary/scratch/spool/virtual memory files on an SSD RAID, starting up applications will be faster overall, which is nice.

Cheers,
Bart