• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Leica MM ( Monochrom )

fahim mohammed

Just wondering...the Leica MM has been out for sometime.

Photogs whose opinions I respect, and many many others have only praise for it.

It is the only Leica Digital Rangefinder that cannot do colour. Just B&W.

Has anyone in this forum experience with it? Bought it?

Any opinions? Good, bad or indifferent.
What about the B&W aficionados?

Thanks.

James Lemon

Just wondering...the Leica MM has been out for sometime.

Photogs whose opinions I respect, and many many others have only praise for it.

It is the only Leica Digital Rangefinder that cannot do colour. Just B&W.

Has anyone in this forum experience with it? Bought it?

Any opinions? Good, bad or indifferent.
What about the B&W aficionados?

Thanks.

I own one Fahim. It is an amazing camera with huge 36mb files and lots of dynamic range ISO 6400
not a problem. I love this camera! It is not for every one but for someone with your capabilities I am certain you would make this camera sing.

i-fJb34QC-L.jpg

fahim mohammed

Thank James for your take. I like the image very much too.

What would be required to manipulate such large files? Hw/Sw setup. What do you use for. Processing
The images?

I am half in, half out at the moment.

Take care.

James Lemon

Thank James for your take. I like the image very much too.

What would be required to manipulate such large files? Hw/Sw setup. What do you use for. Processing
The images?

I am half in, half out at the moment.

Take care.

The camera system produces DNG files and it comes with a free install of Lightroom you don't need anything special to process them. The biggest advantage of the camera is its high resolution and the fact that it does not have a Bayer Array color filter the files are very clean (less noise) in other words.

Thorsten Overgaard has a great write up about the camera. You can find it at the following link.

http://www.overgaard.dk/leica-M-Monochrom-Henri-Digital-Rangefinder-Camera-black-and-white-sensor-page.html

Doug Kerr

Mike Shimwell

My esteemed friend Fahim

I hope that you are well and being kept safe, together with your precious family.

I have an MM and it is, somehow, a very complete camera. Although it shares all the M9's flaws, somehow it works better as a package for me, and is much more satisfying tool.

Here are a few recent pictures from days out with Sue and the girls.

Mike

Our friend Pauline
U25074I1388183800.SEQ.0.jpg

Alnwick beach
U25074I1400021028.SEQ.0.jpg

Naomi's space
U25074I1399760890.SEQ.0.jpg

The gerbils arrive
U25074I1399760891.SEQ.2.jpg

Saltburn
U25074I1400366663.SEQ.3.jpg

fahim mohammed

Hello there Mike.

Long time eh! I saw you pop up once on another forum, and then you got lost!

I am glad you guys are keeping well. Ayesha and I are alone now that all kids have left
Home for advanced studies.

I am leaving shortly with the wife for a small vacation. I shall pm you with images when I get back.

The MM is on a very slow back burner for me now.

But your images are super and impulse purchases is what I want to avoid.

Take care and my regards to the mrs and the lovely girls.

Kindest regards.

My esteemed friend Fahim

I hope that you are well and being kept safe, together with your precious family.

I have an MM and it is, somehow, a very complete camera. Although it shares all the M9's flaws, somehow it works better as a package for me, and is much more satisfying tool.

Mike

Our friend Pauline

Alnwick beach

Naomi's space

The gerbils arrive

Saltburn

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My esteemed friend Fahim

Mike

Our friend Pauline

Alnwick beach

Naomi's space

The gerbils arrive

Saltburn

Mike,

This collections shows the versatility of your picture taking and the capabilities of the camera. Now how much choice in film style does the camera give you, or does one do this in post. with all the pixels devoted to gray scale, one cannot distinguish so readily between different hues of the same brightness, but there seems to be no cost to this in your pictures.

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher

Thanks. I always shoot raw with the Monochrom, so I've never investigated what tailoring can be given the jpgs. These have just had simple adjustments in Lightroom. The Monochrom is very versatile for someone who is happy not to have colour, of course! For me the key is that I prefer not to record colour in the first place - probably my film history, Sadly the Mono is currently heading back to Germany to fix a battery problem, but Leica seem pretty good at sorting these things out.

Thinking about colour and mono shooting, due to the mono battery issue and the M9's cracked sensor(!) I used a Lumix GX7 on a recent holiday, almost always keeping the display on mono. However, it was still a shock and somewhat disconcerting when LR went throgh the files and 'converted' all back to colour on download!

Mike