• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In Memoriam: Leonard Cohen, poet and songwriter ❤️

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
We expected as much with his last record.

He died from undisclosed causes today!

Thousands of people were touched, comforted, inspired and intrigued by his poems and songs!

Read more here

Asher

James Lemon

Who wants to live forever anyway? Even if we knew what the cause of death was it would not change the fact that he is dead. What would one less poem make in our lives?

Asher Kelman

Who wants to live forever anyway? Even if we knew what the cause of death was it would not change the fact that he is dead. What would one less poem make in our lives?

A lot!

James, how familiar are you with his body of work?

Each verse represents careful crafting and sculpting of the meanings and connections the draw deep into our fears, hope, dreams and inspirations. Some poems and songs were only fully developed over months and even years painful of toiling over choices and word orders. Each poem is a treasure for posterity.

There are few people who can match his literary brilliance, skill and beautiful imagery.

Asher

Andy brown

So my daughter just got home from school.
"crap week hey, first Trump now Leonard Cohen dies!"
"who's he?"
"come and look at this"
"He's good!"
"Yep"

So then I said "watch Jeff Buckley do it (Halleluja), not many people can do a cover as good as the original"

Truth is, as brilliant as Buckley's version is, Cohen's is the real deal.

May as well get all these crazy emotions out in one good release. /Sigh

James Lemon

A lot!

James, how familiar are you with his body of work?

Each verse represents careful crafting and sculpting of the meanings and connections the draw deep into our fears, hope, dreams and inspirations. Some poems and songs were only fully developed over months and even years painful of toiling over choices and word orders. Each poem is a treasure for posterity.

There are few people who can match his literary brilliance, skill and beautiful imagery.

Asher

Sounds like a severe identity crisis. Hope is just something that people like to hang on to when reality has nothing left to offer.

Asher Kelman

Who wants to live forever anyway?

James,

Why the cynicism? If one's life has purpose and rewards, why not? He died at 82 years old. That at a time when he was still creative.

For me, being just 75 years old, I look to all the happiness I get each day, just waking up and seeing my wife, looking out the window at a beautiful sky and watching the birds float by on the various patrols.

I walk down my hallway and see inspiring photographs and wonderful art and am amazed that some are made by my own hands.

I look to the future with so much I want to do and each day is rich with challenges, puzzles, surprises, disappointments and a few successes sufficient to keep the engines humming.

It's hard for me to imagine not wanting to live on and on if it can be at least 5% as good as life is now!

So I'd ask you why you don't look forward to longevity as I do?

Even if we knew what the cause of death was it would not change the fact that he is dead.
In a way he is not dead, just as Mozart, Einstein, Darwin or Shakespeare are not dead. But of course it matters. Picasso painted well into his venerable old age! Being able to conserve our once in 100 years gifts like these men, is of value to our society!

What would one less poem make in our lives?

This reminds me of a bad evening with an "anti-Bill Clinton Republican" in thanks for helping out with his son's illness. When someone mentioned that after the Great Lakes were restocked, (following tackling gross toxic industrial pollution), instead of thousands of species, there remained a scant few!

"Why do we need so many species?" I was asked. My wife's eyes met mine and we changed the subject, graciously allowed the evening to go through the planned dinner, but never engaged that couple ever again.

Asher

James Lemon

James,

Why the cynicism? If one's life has purpose and rewards, why not? He died at 82 years old. That at a time when he was still creative.

For me, being just 75 years old, I look to all the happiness I get each day, just waking up and seeing my wife, looking out the window at a beautiful sky and watching the birds float by on the various patrols.

I walk down my hallway and see inspiring photographs and wonderful art and am amazed that some are made by my own hands.

I look to the future with so much I want to do and each day is rich with challenges, puzzles, surprises, disappointments and a few successes sufficient to keep the engines humming.

It's hard for me to imagine not wanting to live on and on if it can be at least 5% as good as life is now!

In a way he is not dead, just as Mozart, Einstein, Darwin or Shakespeare are not dead. But of course it matters. Picasso painted well into his venerable old age! Being able to conserve our once in 100 years gifts like these men, is of value to our society!

This reminds me of a bad evening with an "anti-Bill Clinton Republican" in thanks for helping out with his son's illness. When someone mentioned that after the Great Lakes were restocked, (following tackling gross toxic industrial pollution), instead of thousands of species, there remained a scant few!

"Why do we need so many species?" I was asked. My wife's eyes met mine and we changed the subject, graciously allowed the evening to go through the planned dinner, but never engaged that couple ever again.

Asher

You assume too much Asher. Everyone needs a reason to live just as they also need a reason to die.

It was only a question I never said anything about not wanting longevity. So through his death it gives his work new life!

What about the hundreds of innocent civilians that have died recently for no apparent reason? That is the real question. While we go about enjoying our surroundings.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Indeed.

Thank you for all that.

Still, on the subject of death, we have a breakfast table saying: "Every life has one."

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

I learned this morning of the fascinating story behind, the much admired ballad, "Lover, lover, lover come back to me"

It seems to represent the people of modern Israel coming back to the land and to God, the lover is man. It alludes, perhaps to the way Solomons "Song of Songs" talk about a heavy sensual romance between lovers when it really represents the adoration and affinity between the people of Ancient Israel and God.

It so happened that when the Yom Kippur war broke out, Leonard Cohen felt he had to offer some help and volunteer to help grow food on a kibbutz as the men were off fighting for the people's survival against the massed armies of hostile neighbors.

However, he was recognized by an Israeli girl who happened to be a well known singer. She had him join her singing for the soldiers scattered in the Sinai. He was reluctant to sing his often sad songs, but he was welcomed and this was an important time for Cohen's spirituality. He went aside and scribbled out this song.

It was not about a physical love, but a prayer to ask for protection for the young folk fighting to defend their communities.

That, from someone who was a Buddhist monk, is quite a revelation. So it was not only the "lover", the people of Israel who were returning to the land, but also, Cohen, himself who was called back to his roots, his people and his father's faith!

More here

Asher