• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Wildlife Portrait

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Challenge, a portrait of an animal from the wild, Your image can have been taken on any date, as long as you shot it!

Asher

Last edited:

Brian Lowe

my entry to 2006_08 Wildlife Portrait_01

Photo by ©Brian Lowe 2006_08 Wildlife Portrait_01

66062341-L-1.jpg

Last edited:

Tim Gray

Orangutans

J3M1694-01bw.jpg

Tim Gray © 2006 J3M1694-01bw​

and

Zebra

FB5E5598.jpg

Tim Gray © 2006 FB5E5598​

and

Elephant

060804-2108-zoo-01.jpg

Tim Gray © 2006 20060812zoo01​

C&C welcome

Last edited:
Sraping the bottom

Never had a real chance to shoot a real animal (not a pet) with a real camera, so bear with me :)

Smells interesting (Squirrel, Zion, Narrows):

90500070-L.jpg

Are you done yet? (Deer, Yosemite):

90500213-L.jpg

Who's your daddy? (Seals, seal beach next to Hearst Castle):

90500219-L.jpg

Do I look fat? (Pelican, Ft. Lauderdale, Fla):
90500879-L.jpg

Enjoy!

Asher Kelman

Nikolai,

The young moose looks so beautiful in his suroundings. Waterfall in the b.g. Did you shoot more of this? It is perfect in color, but have you tried it in B&W? The pelican is jpg blocky. Did you link the wrong file?

That seal couple, are they talking a a prelude to mating, fighting or what? Have you versions with the b.g. blurred?

Tim, your pictures are all interesting. The first one with the orangutans, is really special. How can one not love the little guy on her back? Seems to be thinking, "O.K., better hold on, she's about to do her crazy swinging around again!"

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nikolai,

Is that last one a fetish shot, cannibalism or something you staged? In any case, did you mean to post that in Wild Animals Action? Seems to be that rather than a portrait!
BTW, How do you count 1, 2, 4, 5; then, reach the final number, 3?

Asher

Asher,

As I mentioned before, most of those are from a
peepwall.gif
<whisper> P&S </whisper>

Asher Kelman said:
Nikolai,
The young moose looks so beautiful in his suroundings. Waterfall in the b.g. Did you shoot more of this?
Thank you!
xzicon_smile_cool.gif

Yes I have a few more, but I don't honestly think they are that interesting.. I was hesitant even about that one...

Asher Kelman said:
It is perfect in color, but have you tried it in B&W?
No, sir, I didn't. Colors are too close to each other to produce a good B&W - or so I think
rolleyes1.gif

Asher Kelman said:
The pelican is jpg blocky. Did you link the wrong file?
It very well might be. It's been shot with a P&S (in a jpeg mode) 2+ years ago, and this is pretty much 100% crop. I like the expression, but there is not much I can do about the image quality
ne_nau.gif

Asher Kelman said:
That seal couple, are they talking a a prelude to mating, fighting or what? Have you versions with the b.g. blurred?
It's a molting beach (as you can see). I think it was a very lazy prelude to a possible fight. It was hot, they both didn't feel well and really did the whole thing seemingly only to honor the tradition...:)

Brian Lowe

Pondering a diptych

I already posted one so here are two more.

This is called "pondering a Diptych"

This one tittled:​
Pondering
66060906-L-2.jpg

This one is titled: What am I thinking
66060937-L-2.jpg

As you look into his eyes what is what is he thinking what do you see in his mind?

I say he is thinking "I have been sitting here so long I am going bald".

Now I pose the questing to you it's your turn what do you see, tell me what is he thinking?

Brian

It was for real

Asher Kelman said:
Nikolai,

Is that last one a fetish shot, cannibalism or something you staged? In any case, did you mean to post that in Wild Animals Action? Seems to be that rather than a portrait!
You can see more info (and few more pics) on this particular incident here
Asher Kelman said:
BTW, How do you count 1, 2, 4, 5; then, reach the final number, 3?
Asher

Oops, my bad.
Whip.gif

OK, how do I fix it, since there is "no deletions" rule in force?

Asher Kelman

Nikolai!

First you are one sick guy! This is an intimate lizard family moment you were spying on. The two are both trying to remove the little lizard's shedding coat and there is also an argument about custody, so each one wont let go!

Next we need to give you remedial education! You don't obey orders, you cant count and you have a seduced smilies to the "dark side". Is that a smurf your assistant is whipping?

Asher

I know, I know :)

Asher Kelman said:
Nikolai!
First you are one sick guy! This is an intimate lizard family moment you were spying on.
{Listening to Simon & Garfunkel "Wednesday Morning, 3 AM"}
If they were human, I'd get sued, lost my car, my house and {gulp} my 70-200L f/2.8 IS - life would be over...
Flush.gif

Asher Kelman

Nice Dierk!

The Big guy is sulking, "You don't listen!, nothing I can do, you're gonna be eaten, lickety-spit!" 'cause the little critter is unaware that the mate of the raptor drying its wings, is circling above.

Don, that is a nice reflection. Where's that and how do you print it, do you darken the edges or any other changes?

Asher

Don Lashier

Asher Kelman said:
Nice Dierk!
Don, that is a nice reflection. Where's that and how do you print it, do you darken the edges or any other changes?

Asher

Asher, I haven't printed that one. I print the one below, but posted the above one because is (perhaps, or perhaps not, now that I see the below) shows better at web size. I print on Epson 2200, Arches Infinity thick rag paper. Believe it or not this is within feet of busy coast highway (101). I had to be careful because colored cars/trucks would reflect in the water as they passed. These were taken just minutes before sunset - hence the warm light (unaltered awb). I mat almost everything with thick (6 ply) white on black (LI Duo) rag mat with about 1/4" of paper exposed. This provides a sharp black line spaced off from the image.

031112-022591-3.jpg

- DL

Last edited:

Erik DeBill

Asher Kelman said:
What is that young handsome frog thinking?

Asher

I think he's rather thankful my 100-400 won't focus any closer. I've been pondering extension tubes to help with that :)

As a side note, I've stopped to take pictures of this colony of green tree frogs several times and it's the only time I've ever been able to take pictures of wildlife with a tripod, cable release and mirror lockup. They freeze, hoping you won't see them. As long as you move slowly you can take your time and set things up for maximum sharpness, just as you would with a landscape shot. Even with IS on the 100-400, it really makes a difference.

Dierk Haasis

pro member
Asher Kelman said:
The Big guy is sulking, "You don't listen!, nothing I can do, you're gonna be eaten, lickety-spit!" 'cause the little critter is unaware that the mate of the raptor drying its wings, is circling above.

Yeah, well, I couldn't really decide which one I liked more so I put in as many as possible by the rules [originally I had about 60 worthwhile animal portraits]. Two of those have been done on film, the remaining is a D1x shot; one has been optimised with Capture NX [U-Points are really great], the other two with LightZone [I now admire the implementation of the cloning tool, strange but very good].

BTW, the big guy counts although it is a self-portrait?!

Asher Kelman

Alvarro,

"Waves of Sadness" is an interesting title and shows how important putting an image into some context is. There are enough signals in the image to resonate with your title and to me at least, the picture works and is indeed emotive.

Don,

Your egret by the side of a highway says several things. First such great photography opportunities are everywhere if one has open eyes. Next it tells us that one can hide the intrusion of man by timing and choice of angle. That is either great photography or news manipulation depending on the use of the image. Lastly it points to our responsibility to have sanctuaries for the wildlife that we impact.

John,

That guy, (I don't know the sex) is so good looking, with engaging eyes and sensitive looking lips. I like this as a portrait. Was the nose moving?

Derek,

What is the species of your great ape? Is that a gorilla?

He looks very powerful.

We are getting pretty interesting pictures.

Great show guys.

Ray West

I've not got much 'wild life' round here, not even of the human variety, so will a picture of a slightly annoyed chicken be OK.

hen1.jpg

Its actually a 'Warren cross', but I do not think the name really refers to her temperment.

Best wishes,
Ray

Ray West

Actually, she's well into photography, knows a word or two, when she lays an egg, she goes 'bokeh, bokeh, bokeh!'

I'll get me coat.....

Stan Jirman

You called?

This guy is from Antarctica, and may be my all-time favorite shot. Which is why it's hanging 60x40" in my office, and I think it's still too small to get the impression properly across :)

We were going with the zodiac around the ice flow where the seal was happily asleep. I saw the upcoming opportunity, managed to mount my fisheye onto the 1Ds, and get this shot (uncropped) from about 1 foot away from the ice flow. At that very moment, the seal lifted its head up:

seal.jpg