• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Boy on a Bicycle, Can RAW file. Optimize this! :)

Carl Harsch

Mary Bull said:
Act first, get permission later, Carl! < said with a smile >

Seriously, how about putting up your off-the-wall version for us to see here, now?

Mary

I didn't let it go beyond my thoughts....yet :)

Joe,

Joe Russo said:
Nikolai,

Terrific job! I really like your treatment of Asher's photograph. The thing that I like the most is the distillation of elements down to just the essentials - the boy on the bike and the cobblestones. My only nit (and it really is just a nit) is that I would've liked to have seen the shadow on the boys' face lightened up just a tad.

Thank you for looking and commenting!

I agree with your "nit". My only - and fairly lame - excuse is that I spent so much time on the "cutout" that I simply decided not to touch exposure, colors or anything else in the original file.

Mary,

Mary Bull said:
Nik, it's wonderful!

As you know, and as the best critics here all say.

I am longing to have a folder on my own machine labeled "Nik's Creations," with copies of all the images you've put on OPF to date. My personal Nikolai gallery.

I don't guess that's possible--or if possible, maybe not legal--or if legal, not ethical?

Nevertheless, I long to have it.

Mary

Thank you, you're very kind!

What stops you? Right-mouse button, "save picture as" - and you're done:)

Cheers!

Carl,

Carl Harsch said:
Nikolai...excellent rendition. I had thought about going off the wall, but wasn't sure of the guidelines and how much creative latitude was allowed or encouraged. Nicely done!

Thank you, appreciate it!

As May and Dirty Harry said, "shoot first, ask questions later":)

Cheers!

DLibrach

Hi all,

Here is my attempt:

105554410-L.jpg

It's hard for me to say exactly what I did as I tend to work by how each image speaks to me and that can change as the process evolves.

My thoughts upon seeing the photo was that it reminded me of some of the old family photos that we have kicking around. I love the colours of those photos and tried to duplicate that here.

There also seemed to be a bit of dead space on the sides so I cropped it a bit. The manhole was a definate point of focus for me and I wanted to emphasize it a bit more and I accomplished this by warping it slightly.

Cheers,
Dave

P.S. I apologize for not being able to explain it further but I am still relatively new to photography and PS. I tend to experiment freely as I work on an image and not really pay attention to what I am doing. This can make it difficult for me to repoduce an image but also can make each image a fun and unique experience.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Carl,

There are two types of RAW processing challenges in OPF.

1. With the author's intent expressed in a) a title and b) anything else. Here the topic is contained to express the intent of the original creator of the picture though the skills and mind of all of us.

2. The author of the pictures is silent about intent. The picture then becomes a scene that one sees for the first time on one's computer screen as if looking at it in real life. So all of us start the arc of creation independant of much of outside interference and influence as possible.

Here, we are dealing with families of expression that have uncontrolled lattitude. There are, then, no limits, except out capability to imagine, conceptualize and implement an independant meaning from the scene on the scren.

Each of the two methods carries the broadest range of creativity, only the first completes the arc of intent of the original photograph.

Each of these, however, builds our photography skills and at the same time bonds us as a group of artists.

Asher