• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Urban Decay

Antonio Correia

The text
Urban decay is a series in progress of images showing the degradation of the urban spaces or elements occupied and used before but now degraded or empty thanks to the crisis involving a large amount of the population and many countries around the globe.

The images are supposed to be confused representations of those areas or elements melted with chaotic patterns.

is the basic idea behind the theme. I do have many - many ? - photos of similar situations but I am just collecting and fine tuning them in order to present the series with at least 30 images, as a work in progress.

This is supposed to reflect my concerns about the decay of this country and others as I mentioned before somewhere in this forum.

Do you have anything to say about this basic idea and the text I quote ? Please :)

Here are two images I have posted before which belong to the series.

i-r52LQpT-S.jpg
and
i-bJPCNTv-S.jpg

John Wolf

Hi Antonio,

I like the intent of your project. It seems a worthy effort, especially if you are moved by this sociological problem and hope to raise awareness of it. I would quibble with the last part of the first sentence: "...thanks to the crisis involving a large amout of the population...." I think that statement could be clearer, but I also believe the issue is more complex than one merely of population. I actually don't think you need to suggest WHY it occurs.

The deeper issue for me is that the two photos you have shared so far do not, to me, convey "degradation," "confused representations," or "chaotic patterns." Actually, both settings seem almost quaint to me. As I recall, in one thread someone stated how lucky you are to live in such a lovely setting. I had the same reaction, although, admittedly, this is coming from someone who enjoys the character of third-world environments.

Thinking through this, I'm wondering if this disengagement with your intention has to do with your compositions and processing. Both pictures have classical, stable structure. Both also make use of pathways. I can see myself strolling amiably along the gentle path in the picture on the left (in fact I have many times). And in the picture on the right, my attention is drawn, not to decay, but to the doorway at the top of the stairs, wondering what's behind it. As mentioned before, many triangles in foreground and background provide leading lines to that point. This is not a bad thing, but both compositions draw me to concepts other than decay.

In terms of processing, your use of an extended range of middle gray tones gives a warmth and beauty to both photos. I could almost see using the Japanese term "sabi" to describe these representations--"the rich patina of time."

In a nutshell, the paradox for me is that you have rendered decay so beautifully.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
The text
Urban decay is a series in progress of images showing the degradation of the urban spaces or elements occupied and used before but now degraded or empty thanks to the crisis involving a large amount of the population and many countries around the globe.

The images are supposed to be confused representations of those areas or elements melted with chaotic patterns.

Antonio,

I am enjoying this series and can't wait to see what's next. Some caution!

Just use your intuition to collect what satisfies you and gradually you will see it defining itself. So don't sweat it right now.

Asher

Ruben Alfu

Hi Antonio,

I second the opinions above. The first idea that comes to my mind watching these photos is "cozy Mediterranean village". Even after your introduction, I'm having a hard time trying to relate these beautiful images to the concepts you have addressed. The photos seems to depict traditional rural constructions with a normal degree of decay, I don't see urban components as conceived in today's global community.

Another consideration is the emptiness that you want to portray, that's another reason why we need to see something that places these locations in a large urban area, otherwise we cannot perceive the context or scale of the phenomena.

Regards,

Ruben

Antonio Correia

@ John Wolf
Thank you John for writing these lines about my series.
You have defined in a nut shell the issue.
They are not a "confused representation" indeed but instead a "representation of confused environments".

Perhaps two images are not representatives of the hole idea or, saying in a better way, they are not transmitting the hole idea of the series.

I wouldn't like to post many more of them for now at least.

However, I post just one which is older than the two already shown and are in the "trend" of the others I already have.

In reality I am not certain if the two images presented will be part of the theme. When I was strolling and I came to that place I was more looking for the kind of images I show you now.

I think the images should be connected somehow. If I am showing buildings, I have to show 6 or 7 of them. If I am showing alley, so let me show 10 of them and so forth.

As I was writing I changed my mind and I am posting two photos and not one.
The first is rubbish. I do not like it. I do not know where my head was as I did not incorporate the hole building but only a part of it. I will go to that very same place and correct the photograph.

The second on is definitively part of the serie. When I go out for the series I will be hunting for this kind of image.

i-ft8nkcL-L.jpg
-
i-jpg8nkN-L.jpg

Antonio Correia

I don't see much "degradation" or decay of the urban space in these two pictures.

What can I tell you ?? Is it just me then ? Antenas, wires by the air, stairs with herbs, irregular and not cared pavement, old houses needing care, vegetation invading the path...

It must be because I am pessimist. :)

Antonio Correia

agreed - looks like marginalised spaces to me..

they are well made of their type... will be cool watching this unfold...

keep them coming !

I feel strange reading this kind of comments ...

But you must be right. I am not transmitting how depressive is to walk in the middle of degraded areas where you can't walk at night hours.

If this is the idea you have and feel about the places, then I am missing my point.

Antonio Correia

Antonio,
I am enjoying this series and can't wait to see what's next. Some caution! Just use your intuition to collect what satisfies you and gradually you will see it defining itself. So don't sweat it right now. Asher

Good point. :) Thank you Asher. :)

I think I am on that trend... Things must mature with time, work and some thoughts. :)

Antonio Correia

Hi Antonio,
I second the opinions above. The first idea that comes to my mind watching these photos is "cozy Mediterranean village". Even after your introduction, I'm having a hard time trying to relate these beautiful images to the concepts you have addressed. The photos seems to depict traditional rural constructions with a normal degree of decay, I don't see urban components as conceived in today's global community. Another consideration is the emptiness that you want to portray, that's another reason why we need to see something that places these locations in a large urban area, otherwise we cannot perceive the context or scale of the phenomena. Regards, Ruben

Thank you Ruben :)

Jerome Marot

What can I tell you ?? Is it just me then ? Antenas, wires by the air, stairs with herbs, irregular and not cared pavement, old houses needing care, vegetation invading the path...

You don't have to tell me. You wanted to show something with these two pictures. My answer is that I do not see what you wanted to tell. If the vast majority of the viewers also fail to get the message, you did not communicate the idea you wanted through these particular pictures.

Why don't I see the "degradation" when there is evidence of it? First, because there is only evidence of present poverty. Degradation implies a change, as in your fourth image (the building with the air conditioner). Second, because we have been wrongly taught to perceived this poverty as "carelessness", the mediterranean "laissez-faire" by the tourism industry. Third, because of the sky. It gives a sense of grandeur, not gloom.

John Wolf

Antonio, you don't seem like a pessimist at all. Perhaps it's just a case of the world looking different in person and in a photograph. You know that Paul Simon song? "Kodachrome -- makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

One thing you might consider is trying a harsher, higher contrast look. Since you use Silver Efex Pro, maybe experiment with some of the presets and film effects -- just to see if they get closer to your vision. One of them might provide a good starting point.

I hope all this has not discouraged you. Personally, I think you've got a great eye, excellent post-processing skills, and a obvious dedication to this theme. Stick with it and the project will find the right direction.

John

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Antonio,

It can work like this. You must photograph what you feel. Then you select what you think for your series. Find the best of them and go hunt for more. Don't worry about the exact finish! That, like everything. can evolve. Then, you will give all the same presentation. Every so often, review what you have and find the 10 select best. Gradually your selections will talk back to you and you will refine your choices and even photographs that you do next will fit better. It's evolutionary.

Asher

Helene Anderson

Gosh, have been thinking abot this subject for a few hours.

The subject idea is brilliant, though is this just about structural decay or also about the decay of society?

Oh dear but I also don't see initially the urban decay in the two images you started with, at least it is not imediately evident. I think the opposite to John, higher harsher contrat. Though I should say that some of my photos here have been called flat (colour wise I think) but the lack of excessive, harsh, high contrast I think shows things as they really are. I think for such a subject it is important to show things as they really are, as near as possible.

I agree with Asher though, you must photograph what you feel. Perhaps if you asked a hundred people for an opinion you might have a hundred different opinions.

Learn something new evryday, just had a look at a short vid about Silver Efex Pro, found it interesting

Antonio Correia

You don't have to tell me. You wanted to show something with these two pictures. My answer is that I do not see what you wanted to tell. If the vast majority of the viewers also fail to get the message, you did not communicate the idea you wanted through these particular pictures.

Why don't I see the "degradation" when there is evidence of it? First, because there is only evidence of present poverty. Degradation implies a change, as in your fourth image (the building with the air conditioner). Second, because we have been wrongly taught to perceived this poverty as "carelessness", the mediterranean "laissez-faire" by the tourism industry. Third, because of the sky. It gives a sense of grandeur, not gloom.

Thank you Jerome for your answer :)

I think about it :)

Antonio Correia

Antonio, you don't seem like a pessimist at all. Perhaps it's just a case of the world looking different in person and in a photograph. You know that Paul Simon song? "Kodachrome -- makes you think all the world's a sunny day."

One thing you might consider is trying a harsher, higher contrast look. Since you use Silver Efex Pro, maybe experiment with some of the presets and film effects -- just to see if they get closer to your vision. One of them might provide a good starting point.

I hope all this has not discouraged you. Personally, I think you've got a great eye, excellent post-processing skills, and a obvious dedication to this theme. Stick with it and the project will find the right direction.

John

Thank you John but I wouldn't like to show on the images that they are too photoshoped. I wouldn't like either to go through the presets of CEP looking for a the right recipe because I wat to have at least a minimum of control over the photograph.

I will stick with the series trying to do my best. As soon as it is over - will it ever be ? - I will let you all know.

Gosh, have been thinking abot this subject for a few hours.
The subject idea is brilliant, though is this just about structural decay or also about the decay of society?
Oh dear but I also don't see initially the urban decay in the two images you started with, at least it is not imediately evident. I think the opposite to John, higher harsher contrat. Though I should say that some of my photos here have been called flat (colour wise I think) but the lack of excessive, harsh, high contrast I think shows things as they really are. I think for such a subject it is important to show things as they really are, as near as possible.
I agree with Asher though, you must photograph what you feel. Perhaps if you asked a hundred people for an opinion you might have a hundred different opinions.
Learn something new everyday, just had a look at a short vid about Silver Efex Pro, found it interesting

Hélène, thank you for your words. I am sure that everyone has one opinion about anything. So, everybody would have or has, a different opinion about these photographs or others.
Yes, the best is to stick and do what pleases me receiving however the necessary influences from others who know more than I do. Perhaps a bit egoistic as mentioned somewhere else by me.

Try the Silver and you will like it. :)

Antonio, It can work like this. You must photograph what you feel. Then you select what you think for your series. Find the best of them and go hunt for more. Don't worry about the exact finish! That, like everything. can evolve. Then, you will give all the same presentation. Every so often, review what you have and find the 10 select best. Gradually your selections will talk back to you and you will refine your choices and even photographs that you do next will fit better. It's evolutionary. Asher

The best advice so far ! LOL Thank you Asher. You a terrible ! LOL