• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

In a Golden Bowl

The second diptych before we change the scene:

[Group 24]_MG_6192_8.jpg
[Group 28]_MG_6210_9.jpg

Asher Kelman: Untitled #8 and #9
Golden Bowl Series, April 2013

I don't have a title, but if I had to, right now, it would be , "Towards Harmony".

Enjoy!
Asher

-----------------------------
These are all beautiful, Asher. My favorite (are we allowed favorites? ) would be #9. So similar to 8, but such a different feel. Obvious the symbolism, but I find this one much stronger than 8 because of the composition. Now I think many people hate to talk of composition here but I find it helps create a certain balance and can give an entirely different feel to an image. I'm not talking anything about rules etc., just what my eye tells me. The angle and having their baby leaf inside the curve and recreating that angle with its shape, to me makes the child seem more interconnected with the parents. The entire image feels more cohesive.

The angle of the parents in 8, to me feels like the dark leaf, which I take to be the male in both images, seems more stiff and a little overpowered by the woman. the child seems a little detached and not quite part of the loving situation.

In 9, however, that slight change of composition has completely changed that, for me at least. Here, the dark leaf which to me infers a male, seems strong and protective and the female seems sensual and happy. They are very cuddly. Everything works.

I think it shows that there is a reason for composition and placing things the way we do. Yes, of course what is in the image, especially in this case, where the leaves obviously symbolize a family unit, but how we choose to show them can make a huge difference.

So, 8 is ,of course, really good. 9, to me anyways, is actually incredibly great. I'm very attracted to this type of image. It's the kind that I remember and becomes etched into my brain. Beautiful.

Maggie

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
-----------------------------
These are all beautiful, Asher. My favorite (are we allowed favorites? ) would be #9. So similar to 8, but such a different feel. Obvious the symbolism, but I find this one much stronger than 8 because of the composition. Now I think many people hate to talk of composition here but I find it helps create a certain balance and can give an entirely different feel to an image. I'm not talking anything about rules etc., just what my eye tells me. The angle and having their baby leaf inside the curve and recreating that angle with its shape, to me makes the child seem more interconnected with the parents. The entire image feels more cohesive.

The angle of the parents in 8, to me feels like the dark leaf, which I take to be the male in both images, seems more stiff and a little overpowered by the woman. The child seems a little detached and not quite part of the loving situation.

In 9, however, that slight change of composition has completely changed that, for me at least. Here, the dark leaf which to me infers a male, seems strong and protective and the female seems sensual and happy. They are very cuddly. Everything works.

I think it shows that there is a reason for composition and placing things the way we do. Yes, of course what is in the image, especially in this case, where the leaves obviously symbolize a family unit, but how we choose to show them can make a huge difference.

So, 8 is ,of course, really good. 9, to me anyways, is actually incredibly great. I'm very attracted to this type of image. It's the kind that I remember and becomes etched into my brain. Beautiful.

Maggie

Maggie,

So perfect! You described exact all my own planning and thoughts for the second diptych. I'm so reassured that the images can be read as intended, although everyone is invited to bring their own input to my work. I have been so moved by the impact of John Lennon's "Imagine" and the spiritual relationship between Yoko and John that Annie memorialized. It's this interaction and ephemeral bonds that inspire and energize my pictures. That's been my intent. There was always a hope that it would travel with the images once they are in the public arena, to stand on their own, without me.

Made my day!

Asher