• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Truth Paradox: Art Stymied By Revelation!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I am presenting a series of short essays on what might bring artisitc qualities to photographs. This is to set up a discussion on truth in (in non-documentary) photography and its effect on imagination. The first article is here This deals with the paradox of context in photographs: truth holds us prisoner!

Context.jpg

Examine these pairs of images and then see if you have your own examples to bring to the discussion.

Thanks for venturing to this part of photography with me.

Asher

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

Well does anyone else have examples of pairs of images in which one is exposed by the other?

Asher

Tom Henkel

Here are two views of a freight car that had a run-in with an immovable object. I'm not sure whether either version really qualifies as "art," but I like the abstract nature of the cropped version better than the full image.

Tom

75322072.jpg

65072006.jpg

Asher Kelman

Hi Tom,

Both images are interesting. So is the graffiti and bntmetal. Did you alter the colors? They seem supersaturated. Ye,s context has divorced the subject form some of the reality but the amount of clues left are still overwhelming.

One does not get a jolt going from A to B as in the examples above.

Can we see the whole freight car?

That freight car itself must have been going pretty fast. Was it a train behind it or on a transporter?

Thanks for posting.

Asher

Tom Henkel

Hi Tom,

Both images are interesting. So is the graffiti and bntmetal. Did you alter the colors? They seem supersaturated. Ye,s context has divorced the subject form some of the reality but the amount of clues left are still overwhelming.

One does not get a jolt going from A to B as in the examples above.

Can we see the whole freight car?

That freight car itself must have been going pretty fast. Was it a train behind it or on a transporter?

Thanks for posting.

Asher

Thanks, Asher.

To answer your questions:

1. No, I didn't dramatically alter the colors. I played with shadows/highlights and used a linear contrast curve but that was about it. In fact, I lowered the red saturation a bit because it seemed a little too red. I think it's more the lighting that gives that supersaturated impression. This was a shot from this past August so it was a strong morning sun.

2. I don't think I have a shot of the whole freight car. I can try to find the CD from that day, but the shot I posted is the only one I converted. The larger shot is pretty much the full frame -- I cropped a little off the right side and bottom just because it was dark and didn't really add anything to the shot.

3. I don't have any information on the circumstances surrounding the damage. The car was on a side track, where it sat for a long, long time. I think they finally did move it. Looking at the damage I would guess something came in contact with top of the car -- which would suggest a low bridge or abutment.

Tom

Asher Kelman

In any case Tom, this is a very good subject! I wish I had room for it!

Is the yard near you? That would seem like a great hunting place for photography!

Asher

Tom Henkel

Is the yard near you? That would seem like a great hunting place for photography!

Asher

It's not far from home. But it's even closer to the local police station. There have been incidents involving the homeless in that yard, so the police patrol it pretty closely. I think I used a 70-200 f/2.8L and took that shot from the edge of the yard (not technically trespassing). It probably would have been more interesting to get up close with a wider lens.

Tom