• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Aesthetic impact of photography upon 19th century art world?

Colin Dow

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi,

I am really, really stuck with an essay topic I need to write:

"analyse the aesthetic impact of photography on the art world of the 19th century"

I really dont know where to start, I thought about writing a little each about

-19th century art before photography (talk about artistic styles?)
-the emerence of photography itself - what the new medium was
-what effect it had on artists, either them using it as aid or surrendering to it completely
-focusing on perhaps manet and the execution of maximillian as a case study of photographic use -
- perhaps using hill and adamson as example of artist who turned to photography but used painting and aesthetic (constructions such as hill and adamson)
-talking about impressionist movement away from realism.

someone reccommended talking about the pre-raphaelites, but i am not sure how they were affected by the aesthetics of photography and why??

Also I was recommended I should talk about institutions such as the royal academy and french salons who curated art, does that mean to study when photography became apparent in exhibitions or when institutions such as these curated the art that was influenced by photography..

I am really stuck and I haven't brought myself to write anything yet.The assesment is due in under a week and I've been going round in circles in anxiety, wondering if I am on the right track..
Its 2500 words, I don't know what to do or where to start.

If anyone can offer any help AT ALL I would really, really appreciate it.

Many thanks,

Colin

Last edited by a moderator:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
ICS 2008/9

COMM 3830

Photography and Society

Simon Popple

0113-3437607

Is this the course you are taking?

Deadlines

Image Analysis: October 30th 2008

Essay: January 8th 2009

Colin Dow

Yes, I have got myself very stuck and just wondered whether you might be able to give some pointers on my plan I outlined - if I am going in the right direction? I have done alot of research but it seems there is so much to talk about I am not sure I am on the right track?

Is it ok that I ask you for some advice?

Many thanks,

Colin

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Colin,

This could be interesting to OPF readers if you do it well. Pretty unusual for a University Paper, but hopefully, this could be a unique opportunity for broadening our knowledge.

Why don't you start off and show a picture and briefly put your argument and then the next picture up to 4 images per post? Under each image give a link to where it was derived, "Fair use Editorial Doctrine , for discussion only". Ideally for your course, it should be weighted towards texts you have read from the coursework.

Try to be succinct. If you make several clear points for each picture and build our interest, then it could be fun.

We've never done this before, so it's a first time experiment!

We generally think of paintings influencing photography. It's interesting to look at the reverse too. I cannot promise you will receive worthwhile feedback, but at least you'll get yourself going.

Good luck.

Asher