• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Rock circus/ just starte on going project

There is some problem with my FTP and seams that I may have lost proper authorization -may not even have IMPROPER sort LoL-, so the best I could do was to post in Facebook and redirect here. Someone told me that we should not post original work in Facebook, but that's another story.

I pic up some rocks at a nearby river -something I enjoyed - and I organize this circus performances with them. The possibilities are endless since the river has a perpetual source of rocks.

I think that the scenario is good the way it is, I only need a bit of good blond sand, but a peace of cloth is ok, don't want to make it too sleek.

I am shooting with the sliding adapter for my SINAR and my FUJINON 180mm -that is very sharp- so I can make this long images that can be printed very big... anyway. ... Critique Desired but not required..

n668172083_1643533_3428498.jpg

Ken Tanaka

pro member
I like what this image hints, Leonardo. Creative.

If I may make one small technical suggestion... You've nicely lit the background and ground planes to be somewhat reminiscent of a circus / theatrical performance. But you need some more light on the "performers", perhaps using some small LED flashlights, perhaps snooted with foil, to simulate spotlights?

I'm eager to see this progress if you share it.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Leonardo,

I'm impressed by the sculptural aspects of this and the humor. It's 1930's and modern too. I like the use of simple units like this. Ken's idea of extending the lighting to the realm of the circus act, itself, is right on. You can also decide how many and what character of shadows you might want on the sand or even the back wall!

I might suggest some earthquake wax to help stabilize different compositions or else gluing some wire to stones to have them flying, (removing the wires in PS).

I like the originality and the fact that you have available different textures of stones. Consider using them in a consistent manner so that you images can be read from one picture to another. This has great potential for you to develop your own vocabulary and syntax for your circus!

This is fun and interesting. Looking forward to much more!

Asher

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Leonardo,

I'm impressed by the sculptural aspects of this and the humor. It's 1930's and modern too. I like the use of simple units like this. Ken's idea of extending the lighting to the realm of the circus act, itself, is right on. You can also decide how many and what character of shadows you might want on the sand or even the back wall!

I might suggest some earthquake wax to help stabilize different compositions or else gluing some wire to stones to have them flying, (removing the wires in PS).

I like the originality and the fact that you have available different textures of stones. Consider using them in a consistent manner so that you images can be read from one picture to another. This has great potential for you to develop your own vocabulary and syntax for your circus!

This is fun and interesting. Looking forward to much more!

Asher

Andy brown

Hi Leonardo,

love this one.

My kids and I had been doing a series of rock towers and sculptures at a local secluded beach at the start of summer.
Some were very simple, some delicate, some involving large rocks which required strength to move and arrange, some were balanced precariously on the edge of platforms of rocks at the sea's edge and would last from ten seconds to a day or two.
We had areally nice set going and some even included whale bones.
Sadly, the summer holidays brought the usual bunch of dickheads and the whole lot was smashed to rubble in a day ( bar one delicate tower inside a rock grotto).

I think I've got one shot somewhere and I had planned to do a few shots of a selection of them ( it wasn't the purpose, the purpose was fun alone). We lost impetus after that and haven't done any more since.

I will continue working and posting as I go, thanks for the feedback

.... it is fathers day here, so happy fathers day if it happen to apply to you too...