• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Just for Fun No C&C will be given: In memory of Coral Reefs

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Hello,

I don't know if the title is gramatically corret. Sorry for that. Also, I don't know if this is the proper category o submit a photo of this type. But here will be.

Yestarday I was walking around the centern town, looking around, looking for simple things that can be turned into something interesting and artistic.

The pictures that will be shown below is was edited with Lightroom after the shot.

Inmemoryofcoralreefs-6090.jpg

I would like to explain this picture a bit.

The red thing is a chew gum that someone deposited there, and the little branch with those leafs were there as well. At first sight, I saw a rose, I felt death and sorrow, like a tomb.

The Title came with the colors I applyed to the picture and the shape of the "flower", which oscillates in the same way like the water plants. So, Flower, specially, a Rose have a death symbolism, because people use to put roses over the tombs. And, considering the global warming and how delicate are the coral reefs, I narrated here, with a photo, the death of the coral reefs.

Enjoy :)

Leo :)

Leonardo, I very much like the symbolism, and I have always felt the spherical aberration in the out-of-focus areas of high speed lenses (like most 50mm f/1.2 lenses) producing a circular, sweeping pattern like in your shot, reminds one of water. What lens did you use to photograph this?

I am in two minds whether having stopping down your lens, thus improving the amount of detail in sharp focus, would have improved this image, or whether it would just have distracted from the underwater analogy by taking away the dreaminess / haziness of the shot.

Bravo on a truly interesting image - again proving that technical accomplishment has very little to do with a 'good' photograph. Without your explanation, I am not sure that one would ever guess the subject matter.

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Leonardo, I very much like the symbolism, and I have always felt the spherical aberration in the out-of-focus areas of high speed lenses (like most 50mm f/1.2 lenses) producing a circular, sweeping pattern like in your shot, reminds one of water. What lens did you use to photograph this?

I am in two minds whether having stopping down your lens, thus improving the amount of detail in sharp focus, would have improved this image, or whether it would just have distracted from the underwater analogy by taking away the dreaminess / haziness of the shot.

Bravo on a truly interesting image - again proving that technical accomplishment has very little to do with a 'good' photograph. Without your explanation, I am not sure that one would ever guess the subject matter.

Hi Dawid!

Well... I used a 50mm f/1.4 wide open prime lens. I did many shots that day and I stated to myself using the lens with that aperture all the way long of the urban trip. I just closed it a bit, if required, for a propper expossure by some times. I wanted to achieve some imperfections and the very attractive narrowed dof, but anyway, in this particular case, the result would be almost the same using some tighter aperture ^^!

About the explaniation... Well... Some of my work needs an explaniation (at least, that's what I think, 'cause I'm always giving explaniations, like some kind of obsession, and also asking for them) because, some times, I bring concepts that are too compressed or too metaphorical, so, some explaniations are needed in order to tell what was the idea without being so obvious in the image. I could make some composition which clearly explains the idea, but sometimes I'm trying to leave away that obsession, at least, from the photograph; but after all, I know an explaniation is needed as well an exlaniation about the existence of the explaniation itself, like all these words, which explains the why of all these words, indeed.

I'm too busy lately, but I'll upload some more pictures when having more time (and I'm having some kind of flu that I hope is just that. Lately, there is a plague, in the north of Argentina, of a mortal disease caused by a mosquito (dengue) since weather here have been changed for a much more warmer and wet one and now, the dengue is here. Not a plague, but there are some cases from time to time).

I'm falling asleep... I'll be here in about 15 days more or less :)

Thanks for dropping some thoughts, buddy :)

Leo :)

Leonardo Boher

pro member
Leonardo,

Your explanation is a welcome disclosure supplementing a wonderful image. Hope to see more.

Rod

No problem. Sometimes it's a need give some explanation, or the wonderful things seems are not such wonderful when they really are :)

I'm glad you didn't statement the typical thing of "Photograph doesn't need to be explained", but there is a big topic about that which says that Photography only is an Index without languaje and that's imperative to at least, writing a title to the image, otherwhise, it's just an Index. However, That theory as norm is not 100% accurate, same with the other one that says nothing created should be explained. And going a bit far, there are tons of books explaining the vanguard movements, the why of Picasso or Kandinsky, for example. So, well... What's art... The one million question! And of course, it's not what people like most =D