• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

A stairway to heaven

Cem_Usakligil

A stairway to heaven:
stairway1.jpg

Hi Cem,

The first thoughts that I have -- "where is the pot of gold?", and "where is the leprechaun?"
Your shot seems magical and mysterious, very rich in color and enjoyable to look at.
Thanks for sharing.

Marshall

Michael Fontana

pro member
Cem,

yep, backlite and leaves, that's nice.
-------
is heaven as low as that?

°grin° I know, in Holland, the mountans are not very high °grin°

Kathy Rappaport

pro member
Ladder in the Lowlands

I can see a scene like that somewhere in Amsterdam in one of the little courtyards. Love the highlighted leaves. Maybe we need to PS an elf on the ladder heading into the clouds.

xoxoxo,
Kathy

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Interestingly, Cem, you have provided a number of ways to climb to heaven.

The ladder seems straightforward but the steps are sometimes challenging to span. The pole is for someone who has little chance of getting there and would slide back down. One structure goes up but stops short while the ivy might support the weight of a child.

Once you have provided the title, we in turn can now bring our own ideas to your picture and engage with it in our way, but with your focus. We are encourage to wander around, exploring and finding familiar objects. Still we keep returning to your titles and refer to it when looking around. Doing this we might even re-calibrate fundamental ideas that we accept as fixed. This is, IMHO, may be of the evolutionary advantageous functions of art: externalizing scenarios in which we can look at relationships in diverse ways. For example we might have our beliefs reinforced. Paradoxically we can undermine existing dogma and belief. We might test out our own fantasy and imagination from from constraints. Taken further we can and even move the boundaries of what we assume "is", "isn't", "might be" and "might not be" possible.

Asher

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

I like the tonality and composition.
Is that from your new 40D?
Well done.

Bart
Hi Bart,

Thx. It is indeed the new 40D. I am so far very satisfied with the results I am getting from it.

Canon 40D, EF 17-40mm L f4, ISO 3200, f5, 1/30 sec, handheld.
Considering the fact that this is an ISO 3200 picture, I am not complaining about the end result at all ;-)

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Cem,

The first thoughts that I have -- "where is the pot of gold?", and "where is the leprechaun?"
Your shot seems magical and mysterious, very rich in color and enjoyable to look at.
Thanks for sharing.

Marshall
Thanks Marshall,

Indeed, there might be some treasure chest buried deep in that garden somewhere.
Thanks for you kind comments, that is also how I feel about this picture.

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

I can see a scene like that somewhere in Amsterdam in one of the little courtyards. Love the highlighted leaves. Maybe we need to PS an elf on the ladder heading into the clouds.

xoxoxo,
Kathy
Hi Kathy,

This is not in Amsterdam, they would not allow things get so much out of hand in our neat country. The location is in Belgium and it has a great story behind it. It is an almost deserted town nearby the Antwerp harbor and a nuclear power plant. Having written this, Asher will now bug me to write a post about the town in the The Amazing Stories Behind Pictures forum, LOL!

Feel free to add as many elves as possible on the picture! The more the merrier!

Cem_Usakligil

Interestingly, Cem, you have provided a number of ways to climb to heaven.

The ladder seems straightforward but the steps are sometimes challenging to span. The pole is for someone who has little chance of getting there and would slide back down. One structure goes up but stops short while the ivy might support the weight of a child.

Once you have provided the title, we in turn can now bring our own ideas to your picture and engage with it in our way, but with your focus. We are encourage to wander around, exploring and finding familiar objects. Still we keep returning to your titles and refer to it when looking around. Doing this we might even re-calibrate fundamental ideas that we accept as fixed. This is, IMHO, may be of the evolutionary advantageous functions of art: externalizing scenarios in which we can look at relationships in diverse ways. For example we might have our beliefs reinforced. Paradoxically we can undermine existing dogma and belief. We might test out our own fantasy and imagination free from constraints. Taken further we can and even move the boundaries of what we assume "is", "isn't", "might be" and "might not be" possible.

Asher
Hi Asher,

How very astute of you to notice the three ways going up! And your eloquence never ceases to amaze me. Since I cannot possibly reciprocate, I will just thank you for your much valued input.

BTW, from the moment I laid my eyes on this ladder, I had the title in my mind. Amazing, isn't it?

Even if I say so myself, this is one of the finest pictures I have taken recently. I'll print it soon and only then I'll know the real value of it.

Thanks again :)

Last edited by a moderator:

doug anderson

I like this, Cem. Is this a place you can return to? I'd like to see this shot very early in the morning or near sunset, when the light is soft. Might involve a tripod and time exposure, but it would be mysterious.

Charlotte Thompson

this is beautiful-
reminds me of a secret hide away-maybe something for children or lovers
love how the light presents itself at the opening-is my kinda garden!
rustic and full of natural spirit!

Charlotte

Cem_Usakligil

I like this, Cem. Is this a place you can return to? I'd like to see this shot very early in the morning or near sunset, when the light is soft. Might involve a tripod and time exposure, but it would be mysterious.
Hi Doug,

Thanks for your kind comments. This picture was actually taken around sunset time. So the light would not get much softer I'm afraid. I did not have the tripod so I had to up the ISO to 3200 to be able to shoot hand held. It was virtually dark in there.

But the location is near indeed and I can go back sometime later. It is coincidentally the same village where the "in case of emergency" picture was taken (against the backdrop of a nuclear power plant).

Cheers,

Cem_Usakligil

this is beautiful-
reminds me of a secret hide away-maybe something for children or lovers
love how the light presents itself at the opening-is my kinda garden!
rustic and full of natural spirit!

Charlotte
Hi Charlotte,

It does look like a secret hideaway, doesn't it?
Thanks for looking.

Rachel Foster

Ah, Cem, someday I would love to walk with you and watch you work. I'd leave my camera behind and just watch you make magic with yours.

Cem_Usakligil

Ah, Cem, someday I would love to walk with you and watch you work. I'd leave my camera behind and just watch you make magic with yours.
Hi Racher,

Aww, you're just spoiling me. Regardless, I'd be quite delighted to have you as a guest here in the Netherlands :). Just give me a shout when you're in the neighborhood.

Cheers,