• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The nerd pack to end all nerd packs

Doug Kerr

At Christmas, our grandson Jon and his girlfriend Alexis (whom we had not previously met), from Lawton, Oklahoma, visited us. She is cute and very bright.

At the table after supper, somehow the topic of my nerd pack (i.e., my pocket protector full of pens, pencils, etc.) came up and Alexis said, "Wait just a minute". She went off to the guest bedroom and returned with her purse. It is the nerd pack to end all nerd packs:

Alexis_F30527-01-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Alexis and the nerd pack to end all nerd packs

She is a bank teller by current occupation, but is interested in graphic design and illustration work. She sketches a lot, and wants to have her "palette" always at hand. She found this purse with the wonderful front pockets.

And guess what: her father was an engineer.

Best regards,

Doug

At Christmas, our grandson Jon and his girlfriend Alexis (whom we had not previously met), from Lawton, Oklahoma, visited us. She is cute and very bright.

At the table after supper, somehow the topic of my nerd pack (i.e., my pocket protector full of pens, pencils, etc.) came up and Alexis said, "Wait just a minute". She went off to the guest bedroom and returned with her purse. It is the nerd pack to end all nerd packs:
[...]
And guess what: her father was an engineer.

Hi Doug,

Sounds like a vote of approval ...

Next to the life supporting contents of a Scottish sporran, the contents of women's purses is an amazingly intriguing subject. ;-)

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Alexis_F30527-01-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Alexis and the nerd pack to end all nerd packs

Frankly, doug, I don't believe this is anything about "Nerd Packs", rather you showing off a potential and lovely addition to your family. Bo doubt Carla has taken to her as I'm sure everyone has! She seems a sweet and wonderful candidate for "Kerrdom"!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

]Frankly, doug, I don't believe this is anything about "Nerd Packs", rather you showing off a potential and lovely addition to your family. Bo doubt Carla has taken to her as I'm sure everyone has! She seems a sweet and wonderful candidate for "Kerrdom"!
Aw, shucks!

She indeed is precious, and yes she and Carla hit it off very well.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Here's Jon, giving us a wonderful song accompanied on the guitar.

Jon_F30584-01-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Jon

He is a wonderful musician, self-taught on the guitar, with a marvelous sense of musicality. He's a very skilled arranger. And he can tune a guitar faster than most people can take it out of the case. (The guitar he's using in the picture has a built in digital tuner, and he says using that has destroyed his skill.)

His day job at the moment is as a construction worker. He does some complex sheet metal fabrication, and enjoys the geometric projective theory behind the "development" drawings used in that field. (I actually studied that in High School, and have made such drawings on a couple of occasions since, so we shared some war stories.)

He also has great thespian talent. As a senior in High School (in Tulsa), he played the lead in a wonderful production of West Side Story. He was cast without benefit of any audition, based on his earlier work. When the people in the lobby after the show discovered that we were Jon's grandparents ("step" in my case), we were mobbed.

He had never danced before, but handled that aspect of the role with great style. In Middle School, he was wonderful in "The Taming of the Shrew."

He's quite a philosopher. Last night we was telling me how a few years ago his reading of Alfred Korzybski's Science and Sanity: An Introduction to Non-Aristotelian Systems and General Semantics had transformed his life by illuminating how the language we use to describe things in fact shapes - perhaps inaccurately - our own understanding of them.

We always enjoy his visits.

Jon's father (Carla's son Larry) is a trombonist, vocalist, leader of the jazz bandlet, and logistics officer for the 399th Army Band at Fort Leonard Wood, Missouri (and no slouch on the guitar either). He and his delightful wife Nona (an on-and-off photographer, Canon shooter) were also with us for the holiday.

Best regards,

Doug

Doug Kerr

Alexis is a natural model. By the time I get the finder lit on the 40D, she's on her marks, with her hands arranged, and flashing that f/1.0 smile:

Alexis_F30688-01-S700.jpg

Douglas A. Kerr: Alexis

Best regards,

Doug