• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Cathedral & The Clouds

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Here is a shot I took in Pisa that I thought was fun. Let me know what you think.

Hi Casey,

This is an impressive use of B&W and an economical use of the signature facade of the cathedral at Pisa to make a sharp contrast against the billowing clouds. It might be that the clouds get the better of the argument and we sense that they could envelope the entire structure at a whim.

Having seen this, why not see if you can crop to the figure on the roof lower left perhaps for a new composition if you have the detail! Just a limited set of columns, that figure and angle of the roofline with the on coming clouds might look awesomely prophetic.

Good job!

Asher

BTW, how was this shot?

fahim mohammed

Hello Casey. I hope you and your girl friend enjoyed Pisa. Lovely isn't it.
I have had my wife stand under it many times. No luck so far.

What do you want me to focus my attention on, in this post. The Cathedral or the clouds.
Both are beautiful. What do you find more important? or is it a 50-50 split?

Me, I am hopeless at clouds! My feet are on the ground. My head not too high!

I would have concentrated on the cathedral..move in close. Fill the frame. Repeating patterns are eye draws. Human nature instinctively tries to arrange things in patterns. Finds them when there are none. Balance for comfort and stability. Imbalanced for dynamic impressions.

Play with paterns of pillars, arches. Light, contrast and shade. There are many interesting possibilities open to you here.

Thanks for sharing.