• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

November 3/4th

Cem_Usakligil

Now that it is 1st of December, I would appreciate it very much if you'd care to share your thoughts, if any, with me on this series. Thanks in advance.

As far as I am concerned, I have found this to be a very tough project. Many days I haven't had the opportunity to shoot and when I did, I was mostly forced to improvise to fulfill the day's slot. I have started with a set of objectives in my mind, but I have failed to achieve them for many of the days. Chasing my objectives would have meant even more days without a picture. In the middle of the month, I have changed my camera systems (D800 to Nex-6) and that has also demanded it's toll. I have a great respect for Jerome, who has at least consistently posted one picture for every day of this month. Tough job!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
You're a better man that I, Cem. I lost interest about mid-November, with my own as well as everyone else's. It's still been nice to look at the pictures and get a taste of what it's like for you and Jerome on a daily basis but I'm inclined to think it's not a good motivational tool. Probably tells more about the persons persistence than their photographic skills. Maybe a little Asperger's thrown into the personality would encourage completion. Personally, I'd prefer to have 20 projects on the run and none finished. Then I can always say: "I'm busy".
My next project is already on the way: one shot a year until I die. I should get a dozen done at least.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Cem,

Thanks for allowing us to walk with you and see some of what catches your eye. Unless one lives in a flower garden, a butterfly park or a shopping center, it's unlikely that one can casually happen apron sets of image that are coherently linked by some unifying theme or motif.

What's significant here is your generosity in trying to greet us every day and see a glimpse through your eyes.

Thanks for putting aside your schedule to bring this photography to us all! This applies yo everyone who makes sure they post.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Now that it is 1st of December, I would appreciate it very much if you'd care to share your thoughts, if any, with me on this series. Thanks in advance.

As far as I am concerned, I have found this to be a very tough project. Many days I haven't had the opportunity to shoot and when I did, I was mostly forced to improvise to fulfill the day's slot. I have started with a set of objectives in my mind, but I have failed to achieve them for many of the days. Chasing my objectives would have meant even more days without a picture. In the middle of the month, I have changed my camera systems (D800 to Nex-6) and that has also demanded it's toll. I have a great respect for Jerome, who has at least consistently posted one picture for every day of this month. Tough job!

Actually, your project was much more difficult than mine, even if they appear identical on the surface. I warned you the first day you posted. The kind of pictures you wanted to present implies finding a new story each day. I did not do that, all I promised was a bit of color and shapes in a frame each day and that is much easier to sustain. I certainly would not have been able to post a picture each day with your constraints.

If you remember the beginning of last month, Tom immediately complained that my pictures were not "interesting", that they only showed the ground or the sky. Tom is right, so you tried to follow his advice shooting one "interesting" picture a day. Defining "interesting" is difficult, I'll just say that it involves taking a picture which can show a particular aspect of the place you live to a person who has never been there, like your first picture. But in doing so you don't impose on yourself the task of merely presenting a picture a day, you set yourself to the task of writing a new story a day and finding a picture to illustrate it. There are few places in the world where this would be possible, because most places do not have 30 subjects worth writing a story about. Moreover, taking illustrative pictures takes a lot of time, your project becomes a full time job.

Tom's approach was slightly different. He chose a single story (I would say the absurdity and decadence of the "central business district" of his home city) and processed to take a series of illustrative pictures of that story. This is easier to do, but few subjects can sustain a full set of 30 illustrative pictures and indeed Tom stopped after a few.

I do not write stories, even when some could have been written. I did not take pictures illustrative of a subject. All I did was to present shapes and colors in a frame.

I am glad that you decided to start this project, because without your help, I would not have had this reflexion.

Cem_Usakligil

You're a better man that I, Cem. I lost interest about mid-November, with my own as well as everyone else's. It's still been nice to look at the pictures and get a taste of what it's like for you and Jerome on a daily basis but I'm inclined to think it's not a good motivational tool. Probably tells more about the persons persistence than their photographic skills. Maybe a little Asperger's thrown into the personality would encourage completion. Personally, I'd prefer to have 20 projects on the run and none finished. Then I can always say: "I'm busy".
My next project is already on the way: one shot a year until I die. I should get a dozen done at least.
Thanks Tom. I sure hope that I will get to see at least 24 photos from you.

Cem_Usakligil

Cem,

Thanks for allowing us to walk with you and see some of what catches your eye. Unless one lives in a flower garden, a butterfly park or a shopping center, it's unlikely that one can casually happen apron sets of image that are coherently linked by some unifying theme or motif.

What's significant here is your generosity in trying to greet us every day and see a glimpse through your eyes.

Thanks for putting aside your schedule to bring this photography to us all! This applies yo everyone who makes sure they post.

Asher
Apt words Asher, thanks. :)

Cem_Usakligil

Hi Jerome,

Actually, your project was much more difficult than mine, even if they appear identical on the surface. I warned you the first day you posted. The kind of pictures you wanted to present implies finding a new story each day. I did not do that, all I promised was a bit of color and shapes in a frame each day and that is much easier to sustain. I certainly would not have been able to post a picture each day with your constraints.

If you remember the beginning of last month, Tom immediately complained that my pictures were not "interesting", that they only showed the ground or the sky. Tom is right, so you tried to follow his advice shooting one "interesting" picture a day. Defining "interesting" is difficult, I'll just say that it involves taking a picture which can show a particular aspect of the place you live to a person who has never been there, like your first picture. But in doing so you don't impose on yourself the task of merely presenting a picture a day, you set yourself to the task of writing a new story a day and finding a picture to illustrate it. There are few places in the world where this would be possible, because most places do not have 30 subjects worth writing a story about. Moreover, taking illustrative pictures takes a lot of time, your project becomes a full time job.

Tom's approach was slightly different. He chose a single story (I would say the absurdity and decadence of the "central business district" of his home city) and processed to take a series of illustrative pictures of that story. This is easier to do, but few subjects can sustain a full set of 30 illustrative pictures and indeed Tom stopped after a few.

I do not write stories, even when some could have been written. I did not take pictures illustrative of a subject. All I did was to present shapes and colors in a frame.

I am glad that you decided to start this project, because without your help, I would not have had this reflexion.

Thanks a lot for warning me in advance, you were right. Thanks also a lot for taking your time to think about the project's nature and coming up with these valuable conclusions. I am sure that there is a lesson or two in there for me.