• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Car photograpy using CGI

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Hi,

Interesting indeed. I do a lot of 3D CGI work for my job (real-time graphics though), and have come across the Spheron before.

It is typically used to generate a spherical HDR file, either in a panoramic or spherical format (like a fish-eye lens). Typical 3D software can then use these HDR files as an environmental light-source, providing very realistic shading calculations on CGI 3D objects. THis process is often referred to as Image Based Lighting (IBL).

I think their camera capture a 50mpix image covering 360 x 180 degrees - an interesting alternative to traditional wide-angle photography, particularly if you are a fan of Asher's advice of shooting wide and giving yourself some cropping room!

Thanks for posting,

Daniel Buck

CG cars is actually what I do for a living :) (well, not only cars, but alot of them)

Here's one of my latest tests at work, first two the car is CG, the last one is entirely CG.

evo_1_v01.jpg

evo_2_v01.jpg

evo_comp_3_v01.jpg

Doug Kerr

Hi, Daniel,

Fabulous work.

Do you mean that the car image is not based on a photograph of the car (but, for example, is entirely created from engineering drawings of the body panels, etc.) or do you mean that it is based on a photograph but really isn't the photographic image directly, or what?

Thanks.

Daniel Buck

Hi, Daniel,

Fabulous work.

Do you mean that the car image is not based on a photograph of the car (but, for example, is entirely created from engineering drawings of the body panels, etc.) or do you mean that it is based on a photograph but really isn't the photographic image directly, or what?

Thanks.

The car is entirely CG, computer generated in 3d. This particular one is not from CAD or from a scan, but hand modeled. usually we have them scanned, or made from CAD data.

Doug Kerr

Hi, Daniel,

The car is entirely CG, computer generated in 3d. This particular one is not from CAD or from a scan, but hand modeled. usually we have them scanned, or made from CAD data.

Oh my God! That is just unimaginable to me! My greatest congratulations to you.

Best regards,

Doug