• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Long Exposures with the Pentax 645 D in the Greek Islands

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
As I don't want to pollute Andrew Stannard's beautiful recent thread I drop here some long exposure shots:

_NCL10064.jpg

The photo shoot is over, some are preparing the end of the day drinks before we leave for the port (see below)
20 seconds exposure - ISO 400 - ƒ10

_NCL10074_1100.jpg

Heading back to the port in Poros (Greece)
Not a very long exposure (3 seconds) but shot from a boat at 20 knots… - ISO 800 - ƒ4

Last edited:

Chris Calohan

I really like the top image, Nicolas. I've given this type of exposure previous thought but not had the opportunity to explore the possibilities...and now, hmmmmmmm, perhaps I shall.

I wonder on the bottom image, perhaps shooting a hard fixed image of the horizon to later layer over the wake at a longer exposure. I wonder about a lot of things and now wonder if perhaps I am just speaking my own thoughts. Either or, they are lovely images.

nicolas claris

Thank you Chris
The 1st shot was easier as the movements were quite slow.
The close aperture may be more requested with a MF camera when one wants quite a large DOF…
I understand your meaning for the 2nd shot, but pesonnaly I do like the kind of vibes here between sky and top of mountains. A personnal pref ; )

Thanks for stopping by !

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
As I don't want to pollute Andrew Stannard's beautiful recent thread I drop here some long exposure shots:

_NCL10064.jpg

The photo shoot is over, some are preparing the end of the day drinks before we leave for the port (see below)
20 seconds exposure - ISO 400 - ƒ10

_NCL10074_1100.jpg

Heading back to the port in Poros (Greece)
Not a very long exposure (3 seconds) but shot from a boat at 20 knots… - ISO 800 - ƒ4

Nicolas,

Wonderful pictures to share with us and an uplift to the start of my day - wine last night and overslept, LOL! How different the two are!

The first will just be seen by the public or a client as idyllic. The second, however, can claim a place as something that stabs us like getting shot with "cupid's arrow". It's a revelation from something adventurous that carries a huge amount of energy welling from beneath the waters, forming an undulating watery monster!

I'd hope for being able to pull back the highlights in the sky, but hell, this is magic, so let it be if that's it!

Asher

nicolas claris

The second, however, can claim a place as something that stabs us like getting shot with "cupid's arrow". It's a revelation from something adventurous that carries a huge amount of energy welling from beneath the waters, forming an undulating watery monster!

Ah Asher ! You always have a great imagination and nice wording!
Here is just the wake of our chasing boat!

I'd hope for being able to pull back the highlights in the sky, but hell, this is magic, so let it be if that's it!

Asher
In fact that should be possible… this is one of the 5 shots done for an exposure fusion.
I'll give it a try tomorrow…

Asher Kelman

Ah Asher ! You always have a great imagination and nice wording!
Here is just the wake of our chasing boat!

In fact, Nicolas, the first sells the boat as a dream to purchase for assured luxury and tranquility. The second, however, stirs the senses and invokes imagination. It's "open-ended", competent "Art" that might be worth revisiting.

Nicolas claris said:
In fact that should be possible… this is one of the 5 shots done for an exposure fusion.

I'll give it a try tomorrow…

Thanks, Nicolas,

It's always bordering on rudeness to ask for changes. Nevertheless, I take that risk when I think that the photographer has not yet exhibited the image nor delivered it to a client ....and with who I have some "street cred"!

Asher

Asher Kelman

Finally, is there any need for an exposure fusion?

This new version is already so much more complete, Nicolas. If there are more images to consider including in an exposure fusion, some interesting final flourishes in dynamic range might offer themselves up to you ....or not! :)

Asher

Andrew Stannard

pro member
Beautiful images Nicolas - more than worth of a thread of their own!

I'm curious - do you get much interest from your clients on the photos that you take after the main shoot is over? Or this a chance for you to experiment with your own vision and take some images that are more 'personal'?

Kind Regards,
Andrew.

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

This is several rungs up higher the ladder and seems more "complete". Actually, the dynamic range of the scene is probably beyond any modern camera to acquire in a single shot. now I understand that Pentax might do what the Ricoh GR does in a single silent shot - take 3 bracketed pictures with only one release of the shutter. Does this apply to the K-3 and the Pentax 645D too?

The advantage here would be the lack of extra movement from having to touch the shutter button again.

Asher

nicolas claris

Beautiful images Nicolas - more than worth of a thread of their own!

I'm curious - do you get much interest from your clients on the photos that you take after the main shoot is over? Or this a chance for you to experiment with your own vision and take some images that are more 'personal'?

Kind Regards,
Andrew.

Hi Andrew
Thanks for the kind words.

Most of my after shooting session are for my own pleasure, personal work and trials for "new" technics or composition.
Some time they are used by the client, aka the 1st one posted here. But on the beginning there where 'personal' some do even get their place in personal exhibition from time to time… like this one, another longtime exposure shot 9 years ago!

nicolas claris

Nicolas,

This is several rungs up higher the ladder and seems more "complete". Actually, the dynamic range of the scene is probably beyond any modern camera to acquire in a single shot. now I understand that Pentax might do what the Ricoh GR does in a single silent shot - take 3 bracketed pictures with only one release of the shutter. Does this apply to the K-3 and the Pentax 645D too?

The advantage here would be the lack of extra movement from having to touch the shutter button again.

Asher

Yes the K3 does that and I guess the 645Z too. Iphone does it also !

Do not forget that you then loose the richness and possibilities of editing the multiple raw and also that you have no control on the fusion… a kind of pity IYAM