• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Abandoned House

Lee Tracy

IMG_5927-001_800_1051.JPG

IMG_5919-001.JPG

IMG_5920-001.JPG

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Good job Lee! Now we have images to see what is what. This is is great place to explore. Is this near you and when did you find it and take the pictures? Is this in a rough neighborhood and is there risk hanging around?

Asher

Lee Tracy

This is near me - at the other end of the village ie about 2km away. These are old timber-frame houses that were abandoned by the National Parks board because the staff didn't want to cohabitate with baboons (who have taken over the houses). So no, no danger. The houses have been stripped all fittings and are slowly decaying. I need to go back again and take some more pictures.

Asher Kelman

IMG_5920-001.JPG

This last one has pop!

Make sure you take the next ones in RAW as otherwise you've thrown away 99% of the camera data and you need that for translating colors to grayscale and do the work justice!

We can process a few for you, if you like!

Asher

Robert Watcher

As strange as it may be, the image that I keep wanting to go back to, is the middle one. And I don't know why - there is no focus or centre of attention, almost though (at the light on right side and large chunks on left) - - - and that maybe is what makes it work for me. It's mysterious.

For my taste the first image misses the mark because the focus is neither from front to back or focused near the front causing the eye to be drawn to the back. Looks like your autofocus point was aimed in the middle of the frame and that's what's in focus. In fact focusing on the stick or large chunks toward the front, may have had a similar effect to the middle one - of mystery as to what is in the dark unfocused back room. Just my thoughts though. :)

The final image that Asher has pointed out, is a little too cliche for my tastes. It's nice though and has some good texture. But it sure is nice seeing some fresh photography being posted on OPF from some new folks.

Lee Tracy

As strange as it may be, the image that I keep wanting to go back to, is the middle one. And I don't know why - there is no focus or centre of attention, almost though (at the light on right side and large chunks on left) - - - and that maybe is what makes it work for me. It's mysterious.

For my taste the first image misses the mark because the focus is neither from front to back or focused near the front causing the eye to be drawn to the back. Looks like your autofocus point was aimed in the middle of the frame and that's what's in focus. In fact focusing on the stick or large chunks toward the front, may have had a similar effect to the middle one - of mystery as to what is in the dark unfocused back room. Just my thoughts though. :)

The final image that Asher has pointed out, is a little too cliché for my tastes. It's nice though and has some good texture. But it sure is nice seeing some fresh photography being posted on OPF from some new folks.

Thank you for your comments Robert. I'm inclined to agree with you - my 'best' one is the middle one - but I'm not truly satisfied with any of them. Somehow I failed to capture to 'essence' of the buildings. You would think that an abandoned building would have a feeling of desolation to them, but for some reason these don't. I really need to go back and try again. Maybe because they are wooden buildings and therefore close to nature, but these have a feeling of decaying naturally rather than being desolate.

The white door on the outside toilet with the creosoted walls was too tempting, and yes cliché, but hey they are cliché because they work right?

Asher Kelman

Thank you for your comments Robert. I'm inclined to agree with you - my 'best' one is the middle one - but I'm not truly satisfied with any of them. Somehow I failed to capture to 'essence' of the buildings. You would think that an abandoned building would have a feeling of desolation to them, but for some reason these don't. I really need to go back and try again. Maybe because they are wooden buildings and therefore close to nature, but these have a feeling of decaying naturally rather than being desolate.

The white door on the outside toilet with the creosoted walls was too tempting, and yes cliché, but hey they are cliché because they work right?

It might just be, Lee, that I this case, to get the atmosphere you need to embed in the image, that color might be needed. Color is the one normal and natural evocator of feelings! Look at Cem_Usakligil's and also Bart Van Der Wolfe's stellar work done in an abandoned village elsewhere in the forum. Do a search! Cem's work is In our OPFGalleryOne.com website. Choose "Artist" then Cem Usakligil.

Asher

Michael Nagel

For me the last one is the most powerful one.

Regarding the rather soft PP of the first two it is on the one hand good to see the not so common softer PP contrary to the quite frequent hard tones used for decay and photos of abandoned buildings I saw so far, on the other hand it is a tad bit too soft for my taste, but that's subjective anyway.

Best regards,
Michael

Lee Tracy

Cem has great modern colored images indeed.

Your last image is great one Lee ! :)

Thanks. These were converted from colour because the colour was just bleh. Proves my point really - you need to take a good photo to get a good photo regardless of how much or little PP you do :)

I really need to go back and try again, maybe choose a different house as well. There are about 5/6 to choose from.

For me the last one is the most powerful one.

Regarding the rather soft PP of the first two it is on the one hand good to see the not so common softer PP contrary to the quite frequent hard tones used for decay and photos of abandoned buildings I saw so far, on the other hand it is a tad bit too soft for my taste, but that's subjective anyway.

Best regards,
Michael

Doing something different is me :)

Antonio Correia

Yes Lee, go ahead.
Establish a criteria and photograph. For example: what is common in all the abandoned houses ?
How are the handles in one and in the other and so on...
How are the doors ? Are they all the same ?
Any particular aspect in all the houses like zenithal light for example...
How are all the kitchens ?
Any furniture ? And so on...