• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fuji Medium Format GFX Beautiful Color in a Cramped Studio!

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
My studio is in my second floor hallway "Den"

There's a full size backdrop with Manfrotto stands holding hair lights, lights for the b.g. paper and the paper.

The ceiling height at 8 ft is fine for most models, but some are just too tall to get the paper behind their heads with sufficient clearance.

We all look at the temperature of the light, exposure and that is routine, I want to address the potential added benefit of correcting for orthogonality of the subject to the camera focus plane.

Below we see a jpg picture out of the camera, with two obvious faults

1. The paper doesn't cover sufficient background

2. The white stand holding the vase with flowers is twisted in a number of planes!

I discovered that correcting this disorder in Adobe Camera RAW seems to make the folk look more real. The second picture is from Adobe Camera RAW processing of the RAW file at default setting with no color balance, white or black point alterations, just default processing, making the white stand orthogonal and creating sufficient black bg to complete a 4x5 frame.

DSF6155_Cropped Joel & Brittany copy.jpg

Asher Kelman: Joel & Brittany #1

Fuji GFX 50S 32-64 MM Fujinon Lens
39.6 mm focal length, (31mm in equivalent 35 mm camera systems)
1/160 sec, f/10, ISO 200
jpg file out of camera, resized only

DSF6155_croppedFROM RAW _Joel_Brittany.jpg

Asher Kelman: Joel & Brittany # 1 Orthogonality corrected in ACR

Fuji GFX 50S 32-64 MM Fujinon Lens
39.6 mm focal length, (31mm in equivalent 35 mm camera systems)
1/160 sec, f/10, ISO 200
ACR CC 2018 for just orthogonality

Asher Kelman

Not that there is no color correction, black or white point set, no skin retouching and no whitening of teeth or sclera of eyes!

The "out of camera" default delivery of color and tonality via Adobe Camera RAW in default is simply stunning.

Asher

James Lemon

A sharp looking relaxed couple! I am still waiting for the new GFX 50 R to arrive soon. But do I need 50 mega pixels for street photography?

Best, regards
James

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,

Not that there is no color correction, black or white point set, no skin retouching and no whitening of teeth or sclera of eyes!

The "out of camera" default delivery of color and tonality via Adobe Camera RAW in default is simply stunning.

A very nice result.

Best regards,

Doug

Asher Kelman

A sharp looking relaxed couple! I am still waiting for the new GFX 50 R to arrive soon. But do I need 50 mega pixels for street photography?

Best, regards
James

James,

It’s the ability to freely crop and allowance to work at higher ISO with less noise. In photography we exclude. But today, I want to get more as I find other subjects in the frame and can isolate them for a new composition. I also take overlapping adjacent fields and stitch just to give me a field of view wider than my vision. Then framing begins at home.

It allows for less lenses to carry!

Asher

Doug Kerr

Hi, Asher,
It’s the ability to freely crop and allowance to work at higher ISO with less noise.

Well, actually, for a given format size, a higher pixel count typically works in the opposite direction.

But, with a certain pixel count, a larger format size typically means better potential noise performance.

Best regards,

Doug