• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

The Evolution of the Young Still Photo Forum

Sean Reid

I'm pleased that StillPhoto is off to a good start and hope that it ends up being enjoyable and valuable to all of us.

To make things work their best, I have asked Asher and Tim Ashley to take over this new forum. At my request, Tim will replace me as moderator. That change will also allow me the time I need to continue producing new content for RR. Running a forum is a large and time consuming job and my hat is off to Asher and others who do it well.

I know from direct and recent experience that Asher puts a lot of time and work into trying to make these forums work well for everyone. Tim is a skilled photographer who sees and thinks clearly. I think that together they can do interesting things here.

Asher and Tim are also both long time RR subscribers and I think the forum will evolve its own character within the greater community of OPF. I'm enjoying the discussions so far and will continue to contribute here.

Cheers,

Sean Reid

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Welcome!

We have devoted this forum space for those who enjoy ReidReviews.com to get into OPF and discuss photography. Naturally some will relate to articles on RR and others will just be other topics we already discuss on OPF. As the latter get real traction, they'll naturally move to the correct OPF forum. This has already started and we have had a strong response. I personally appreciate Sean's advocacy in inviting Reid Review subscribers to explore OPF. In return we want to make them so welcome that they will stay!

OPF is well organized by genre, gear and more. Do not worry about the oddity of discussing a subject here in a mix of apparently unmatched threads with unrelated topics. That's really O.K. Ultimately, everything gets in the correct place; that's the moderator's job! This is a welcoming entry lounge so to speak, where interesting discussions start but in truth, only a small part of a rich resource. We want you to participate fully throughout OPF and be amused, challenged and moved to share your passion of photography. I know all OPFrs will extend our hospitality to our new friends. Already, I'm impressed with some of the photography and discussion in the past several days. So I'm optimistic that this will work well!

Asher :)

We welcome site feedback by PM

Tim Ashley

Thank you to Asher and Sean!

Both of you are well-known to many of the people who 'live' here but I am not so it strikes me that as I take the reins from Sean, I should introduce myself.

I'm 47 and British. I've been taking photos since I was seven years old. The first camera I used was an Agfa Silette, a wonderful old rangefinder with a separate meter and a leather case and strap. I can still smell it now! Since then I've shot on most things but my lineup these days is Ricoh GRDII, Sigma DP1, Leica M8, Canon 1DSIII and Wista 4x5 field camera.

I mention the gear because, like Sean, I think it matters. The choices of gear I make are not only influenced by the sorts of work I intend to make, but in turn they help to shape that work and to change my perceptions of what it might be. Gear also helps me ensure that what comes up on screen or off the printer is as close to what was in my head as possible.

So I do like to discuss gear - as part of the process and as part of my continuing delusion that one day there will be a 300 gram camera with a 15 to 600 F1 zoom and 1 billion noise-free pixels.

But I am far more interested in the image itself.

I'm a more-or-less full-time photographer who tends to work on series of work rather than on individual images. If I have one quirk it is that the older I get the more strongly I dislike making constructed works; I am no Greg Crewdson, in talent or ambition, because I am really only interested in capturing scenes as I find them - even to the extent of disliking flash and trying to use Photoshop as little as possible.

So that's me... and as the new moderator around here I hope to find out a lot more about everyone else.

With warmest regards to all,

Tim

http://tashley1.zenfolio.com/

Last edited:

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
Another late but warm welcome

I'm so pleased how things turned out!

So let me paste here the important part of the previous "orphan welcome" that I did post some days ago:

Hi all new OPFers!

I am very happy that you joined OPF and hope that you'll feel well and not sea-sick onboard ;-)

I look forward to getting to know you all.

Have great time, let's go on and share… for the sake of everyone joy of doing fine and better photography…

Let me also address a special warm welcome to Tim Ashley…

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
If I have one quirk it is that the older I get the more strongly I dislike making constructed works; I am no Greg Crewdson, in talent or ambition, because I am really only interested in capturing scenes as I find them - even to the extent of disliking flash and trying to use Photoshop as little as possible.

Hey!

I second that three times !;-)
even if I do use some bounced fill flash from time to time…

Tim Ashley

I'm so pleased how things turned out!

So let me paste here the important part of the previous "orphan welcome" that I did post some days ago:

Let me also address a special warm welcome to Tim Ashley…

Thanks Nicolas!

But as to your occasional use of bounced fill-flash.... APOSTATE!

;-)

Tim