• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Challenge for Pictures in a Series: Motif or Concept Impressive Clouds

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
This pattern is actually one of natures clouds passing over a trail of a US Airforce jet flying over my home!

[Group 0]-_DSF9132__DSF9146-15 images_0000-Recovered copy copy.jpg

Asher Kelman Corkscrew Cloud

Fuji GFX, 32-63mm Fujinon

Your comments and pictures for this subject much appreciated1

Asher

Asher Kelman

Another shameless boost for one of mine that has again gotten no comments or siblings from the rest of you!

Bring in the clouds!

Asher

nicolas claris

OPF Co-founder/Administrator
!
Nice natural clouds !
The plane vanished… is that because of the panoramic shooting?
For sure pano shooting is responsible of the funny aspect of the wires…
Lovely dark shadows !

Asher Kelman

Thanks for stopping by, Nicolas,

The plane was long gone already. Yes the wire is curved as it was at the junction of two views at the corner of my garden. Then the wind blew away the lower natural cloud, the line of the airplane vapor-trail remained!

Asher

nicolas claris

The thread's title being "Impressive clouds", allow me to post this morning shot with A K1 Mk II - Pixel Shift resolution…

_NCK3613.jpg

Here also, one can see human intrusion in mother nature, Asher's was in the sky, mine on the sea…

Asher Kelman

Beautiful and calming!

The pixel detail in moving water? Can it just enhance water that has not moved?

Asher

Peter Dexter

Asher the wires are sort of reverse catenary curves. How did that come about? But certainly a serendipitous moment for aeriel vapor. Looking at Nicolas' impressive image I am not calmed but worried a big storm is coming. So what is the wonderful sounding "pixel shift resolution"? I am no where near as tech as the rest of you.

Peter Dexter

And my just conventional contribution (which I may have already posted once) showing a view to the east from the Western Cordillera over the Cauca valley to clouds obscuring the mountains of the Central Cordillera.

37505063244_75222d9ca6_b.jpg

This pattern is actually one of natures clouds passing over a trail of a US Airforce jet flying over my home!

[Group 0]-_DSF9132__DSF9146-15 images_0000-Recovered copy copy.jpg

Asher Kelman Corkscrew Cloud

Fuji GFX, 32-63mm Fujinon

Your comments and pictures for this subject much appreciated1

Asher

Asher,
It is like a master-stroke of a giant brush in the sky! The swirl formation seems to be an effect of the jet's turbulence on the cloud, though you say the cloud came in after the jet left. Quite intriguing!

Asher Kelman

The thread's title being "Impressive clouds", allow me to post this morning shot with A K1 Mk II - Pixel Shift resolution…

_NCK3613.jpg

Here also, one can see human intrusion in mother nature, Asher's was in the sky, mine on the sea…

You are spot on in mirroring the concept. The sky here does put icing on the cake!

But your picture is spectacular. Was this stitched or you were sufficiently far away to capture that arc with a standard lens?

Asher

P.S. explain how pixel shift can help on moving waterxand clouds. Also are you handholding or schlepping a tripod?

Asher Kelman

And my just conventional contribution (which I may have already posted once) showing a view to the east from the Western Cordillera over the Cauca valley to clouds obscuring the mountains of the Central Cordillera.

37505063244_75222d9ca6_b.jpg

Peter,

This is actually a great example for our collection, as like Nicolas’ contribution, the ground below offers spectacular forms in the Rocky Mountains. But one point I particularly like and that is the optical “anchor of the silhoutte of the tree on the extreme right. It acts as a reference point to crest an invisible edge of a 3D world in your composition.

As you are preparing to print this large, (and I hope you will), there are great opportunities to explore in those rock forms to complement the billowing clouds. This will yield a satisfying and psychologically calming and meditative work of contemplation.

Asher

Antonio Correia

I am impressed by some shapes of clouds.
However, I suspect of chemtrails ... perhaps it is just me with conspiracy mania.

In Portugal there a is saying more or less like this:
"I do not believe in witches, but they exist, oh yes they do"

One of my clouds
i-ZcD8N4p-XL.jpg

Asher Kelman

Jerome,

What a mesmerizing sight!

Very rarely does a picture not require an introduction, (being either self-evident or else beautiful, tranquil, happy, sad or horrific).

Here is one such rare occaision: there’s no introduction, nor an explanation and it’s not even totally understandable, beyond it showing a magnificent sky.

However, this works to provide a generous new domain where the viewer appears invited bring their wonder and speculate on meaning, purpose, significance without ever needing to finally define what it’s about, beyond what it actually is.

Here the aphorism, (that I profoundly dislike), that a picture can speak a thousand words, cannot apply here, as this work does not need a voice or even a single word, as it provides a visual richness that simply doesn’t need description.

I am so happy to be able to come to this photograph without direction and take it in and saturate my senses without each of us, (myself and the picture), making demands, one to the other.

Kudos for a unique photograph that will be enjoyed for years to come.

Asher

Jerome Marot

Jerome what an impressive capture that is.

I see these often shortly before sunset in the western part of France, but you need to be quick as the colours change literally by the minute.

...and I should admit that I increased the dramatic effect by increasing the contrast a little bit. ?

Which reminds me of that other image I already posted 8 years ago:

Asher Kelman

I see these often shortly before sunset in the western part of France, but you need to be quick as the colours change literally by the minute.

...and I should admit that I increased the dramatic effect by increasing the contrast a little bit. ?

Which reminds me of that other image I already posted 8 years ago:

Hi Jerome,

Another winner and inspirational for the complementary billowing dynamics.

Just your two photographs shared here make a strong foundation for a impressive series that already are so unique, different and compelling.

Ashef

Asher

nicolas claris

You are spot on in mirroring the concept. The sky here does put icing on the cake!

But your picture is spectacular. Was this stitched or you were sufficiently far away to capture that arc with a standard lens?

Asher

P.S. explain how pixel shift can help on moving waterxand clouds. Also are you handholding or schlepping a tripod?

Hi Asher
I was on top of a cliff (so quite high.)
I had a 24-70 mounted on the KI Mk2
Shot was at 55mm, handheld, 1/640 at ƒ8 - 250 ISO

By taking advantage of the camera's SR mechanism, it captures four images of the same scene by slightly shifting the image sensor for each image, obtaining all RGB color data and luminance data from each pixel, then synthesizing them into a single, super-high-resolution composite image. It not only improves image resolving power, but also prevents the generation of false color, reduces high-sensitivity noise, and greatly improves image quality

The assembly takes some seconds, so no way to fire burst…
The great strength of Pentax K1 Mk2 is to be able to do this handheld, which was not the case before.

Pixel Shift Resolution System conceptual diagram (from Pentax site)

fea02_rrs_01.png

1 Light
fea02_rrs_02.png

2 Color information obtained
fea02_rrs_03.png

3 CMOS image sensor receiver
fea02_rrs_04.png

4 Motion of sensor

5 Each pixel obtains color and brightness information of every RGB

Pentax makes the most of the possibilities offered by the ability to control sensor movements:
- Pixel shift
- Stabilization of the camera (and not of the lens)
- Astro tracer

PS what is "waterxand"?

Asher Kelman

Nicolas,

“Water and clouds” move. So how can one use 4 shots where the subject is moving so fast?

Asher

Asher Kelman

Nicolas, it’s simple, when a solid object moves, the Pentax firmware can still realign the pixels that make up the objects shape as the sale doesn’t change, (except for a minute change in perspective).

When waves on water move, however, the form itself changes and cannot be successfully realigned.

So the Pentax “4-shot”, (pixel shift), being fused cannot possibly enhance smoke from a fire or waves on the water unless the sequence is awfully fast!

Asher

Jerome Marot

Disclaimer: I never used the Pentax K1.

What Asher says is true, unless Pentax added some artificial intelligence to determine the changes from one picture to the other... Waves and smoke will probably be too complex, but simpler subjects?

nicolas claris

Sorry guys (Asher and Jerome)

I told you, I'm not an engineer, but I do believe in what I see…

So I can't explain why, but look, below is the FF image with targets showing where the 100% crops come from. Consider the relatively poor (dark) light and the distance (estimated for the trail to be approx 600 meters):

_NCK3613_1500pix.jpg

_NCK3613_crop3.jpg

The jets ski running approx 50 km/h (30 miles/h), look at its wake and trail!

_NCK3613_crop2.jpg

Fishing boat, much slower but much far away!

Last edited: