Open Photography Forums  
HOME FORUMS NEWS FAQ SEARCH

Go Back   Open Photography Forums > OPF Welcome Hall > Layback Cafe

Layback Cafe Let's chat!

Old August 26th, 2018, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Asher, you may be wrong...
The you refer to was the Citroen ID and DS. I female God on the roads ! Dťesse !
Back then I was subscriber of L'Auto-Journal...

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder
Old August 26th, 2018, 01:24 PM
OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio Correia View Post
Asher, you may be wrong...
The you refer to was the Citroen ID and DS. I female God on the roads ! Dťesse !
Back then I was subscriber of L'Auto-Journal...

Exactly, Antonio!

This is THE car of the 20th Century. The most comfortable car ever to drive according to Jay Lenoís incredible video here!

I think I am going to find the latest version and so a test drive!

BTW, after over 100 bullets and 4 blown tires, President De Gaulleís driver gunned the car and drove the President away safely at high speed and this saved the President of France!

What other car could handle like that!

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 26th, 2018, 01:53 PM
Administrator

However, this kind of suspension was abandoned and new ones are on the road.

BMW has the "Adaptive suspension" A great one I was told...
Old August 26th, 2018, 02:43 PM

Hydropneumatic suspension was indeed discontinued, in 2017. But it was used in many CitroŽn cars and not only the DS/ID series: GS (my father had one of these), CX, SM, XM, C5...

Interestingly, "DS" is a brand of cars today. CitroŽn try to use the myth associated to one of their most popular designs to sell a whole series of upmarket cars derived from standard CitroŽn models. So the C3 becomes the DS3, the C5, DS5 etc... Amusingly, I just heard an advertisement for the DS7 today which has a new computerised suspension (but probably not as revolutionary as the hydropneumatic was, I am afraid: just standard with electronics added).

The Renault/Dacia Duster, OTOH, is a standard car that looks a bit like an off-read vehicle, as so-called "SUV". It lacks real off road abilities and therefore is not suited to the French army, even in that army-like colour...
Old August 26th, 2018, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerome Marot View Post
Hydropneumatic suspension was indeed discontinued, in 2017. But it was used in many CitroŽn cars and not only the DS/ID series: GS (my father had one of these), CX, SM, XM, C5...

This is sad, Jerome, as the French engineer, although quirky and subject to leaks, beat anything else for decades. Now there are various magnetic linear motor based systems, the most advanced may be by Bose, recently acquired by ClearMotion. I think this is due to appear in some brands of cars in 2019. I think that this system will be the gold standard against which all other systems will be measured.

Anyone know if itís in any 2018 cards yet?

Quote:
Interestingly, "DS" is a brand of cars today. CitroŽn try to use the myth associated to one of their most popular designs to sell a whole series of upmarket cars derived from standard CitroŽn models. So the C3 becomes the DS3, the C5, DS5 etc... Amusingly, I just heard an advertisement for the DS7 today which has a new computerised suspension (but probably not as revolutionary as the hydropneumatic was, I am afraid: just standard with electronics added).

The Renault/Dacia Duster, OTOH, is a standard car that looks a bit like an off-read vehicle, as so-called "SUV". It lacks real off road abilities and therefore is not suited to the French army, even in that army-like colour...

It does appear that they are providing beautiful styling but matching the comfort of the original, but now abandoned designs, is a huge question. Of course Americans wouldnít have a clue but Europeans will quickly out the car if it disappoints and falls short of the unique Citroen ride.

Asher

Our purpose is getting to an impressive photograph. So we encourage browsing and then feedback. Consider a link to your galleries annotated, C&C welcomed. Images posted within OPF are assumed to be for Comment & Critique, unless otherwise designated.
Old August 26th, 2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
Europeans will quickly out the car if it disappoints and falls short of the unique Citroen ride.
I am afraid you are mistaken. You realise that Peugeot bought CitroŽn in 1976, don't you?
Old August 26th, 2018, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I am afraid you are mistaken. You realise that Peugeot bought CitroŽn in 1976, don't you?
I didnít know that! Well I am a dreamer, and somewhat ill-informed! So how did that change the role of the Citroen in the lineup of the best engineered and admired French cars?

Asher

Old August 26th, 2018, 11:49 PM
Administrator/Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asher Kelman View Post
I didnít know that! Well I am a dreamer, and somewhat ill-informed! So how did that change the role of the Citroen in the lineup of the best engineered and admired French cars?

Asher
More:
Peugeot while buying CitroŽn became Groupe PSA and then also acquired Vauxhall and Opel from General Motors
Old August 27th, 2018, 06:41 AM

My cousin had a Citroen SM that she drove back and forth between Toronto and her farm fifty miles to the north. She would toodle along at 100 until one day when she suddenly realized the speedometer was in mph.

The Renault/Dacia Duster is not a hard core off road vehicle primarily because it doesn't have a two speed transfer case. However unlike Honda and Mazda etc. the Nissan supplied 4wd system offers a "lock" position in which front and rear axels are locked together like a Jeep or other off road vehicle and can't be discapacitated by overheating from excessive spinning. And while it has no "low range" it does have what we used to call a "granny" first gear in it's six speed transmission that is used for steep hills or hard going but not in normal driving where you start off in second.
Old August 27th, 2018, 07:21 AM
Administrator

Peter Dexter, your cousin was - for sure - speeding ! LOL
Old August 27th, 2018, 08:57 AM

Yes she certainly was and didn't even know it.
Old August 27th, 2018, 08:59 AM
Administrator

Which is the speed limite in CanadŠ ?
The SM Citroen was so comfortable that we could hardly feel the speed...
No ticket ?
Old August 29th, 2018, 12:28 AM

They said that: "Murphy's Law is recursive: washing your car to make it rain doesn't work"...

Old August 29th, 2018, 01:58 AM

However, my buying a new Mac computer always was followed a month later, (after the return period), by newer more capable model.

I never wash my car ever and it still rains in California!

Asher

Old August 29th, 2018, 02:35 AM
Administrator

Jerome, do you have any kind of protection on your car paint ?
It looks like you have applied sobre nano thing or wax.
That's what I do. It makes the car shine and I like to have it clean and sparkling.
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:40 AM

Nope, I did not apply any of these products. I have no idea why the paint does not let the drops wet the surface, it does not happen all the time.
Old August 29th, 2018, 05:43 AM

There used to be some gas stations in Tucson that advertised free gas on days it rains.
Old August 29th, 2018, 07:56 AM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Dexter View Post
There used to be some gas stations in Tucson that advertised free gas on days it rains.
Really ?
It doesn't rain a lot I am sure...
Old August 29th, 2018, 09:32 AM

Yes they put out the signs as a joke...exactly because it rarely rains.