• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Namibia

Mike Shimwell

A small settlement by the power lines in the Namibian bush, backed by the Namib Dunes. Although Namibia is a desert country we, 'the English', had a thunderstorm whilst visiting ,which was apparently the first storm for 10 years in Solitaire - the names is fully self explanatory!

Mike

3345605968_30bc205844_o.jpg

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Hi Mike,

Yes, it does look like you brought the English weather with you!

I have some déja vu looking at this! It could be you posted this before or just I saw another building in the mid distance acting as the reference for scale in this large landscape. There's a huge amount of detail in this photograph. Have you already printed this and to what size.

Are the buildings exactly vertical? I have a question about the amount of things and the subject of uniformity even in the massive irregular foreground earth and shrubbery, which has the feeling of uniformity. Is the picture done with or can we discuss more work on it?

Thanks for sharing!

Asher

Mike Shimwell

Hi Asher

This is the first print file that I've made from this scan. Basically I've cleaned the few dust specs, a bit of sharpening and then burnt in the sky a little. The orginal has a lighter tone, but I wanted to emphasise the sunlight on the dunes between the foreground and the sky. Also, the foreground is representative of much of Namibia's bush landscape, which is often home to these thorn bushes, but rarely green! The colours remind me of the scent of the bush.

I'm happy fr you to work on this. It's always interesting to see other's ideas and they can inform and help us all develop - even, or particularly, if they sit outside our original vision or intent.

Cheers

Mike

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
QUOTE=Mike Shimwell;71704]Hi Asher

This is the first print file that I've made from this scan. Basically I've cleaned the few dust specs, a bit of sharpening and then burnt in the sky a little. The original has a lighter tone, but I wanted to emphasize the sunlight on the dunes between the foreground and the sky. Also, the foreground is representative of much of Namibia's bush landscape, which is often home to these thorn bushes, but rarely green! The colors remind me of the scent of the bush.[/quote]

This work is then finished and represents you well, the subject, your oeuvre and the impression you want to send out. I'd be happy to see that regularly. We have to beware of looking for Disneylands or Joshua Tree National park in every scene. This picture is factive and means a lot to me as such.

I'm happy for you to work on this. It's always interesting to see other's ideas and they can inform and help us all develop - even, or particularly, if they sit outside our original vision or intent.

Cheers

Mike

Having said how I appreciate factive pictures, and I do, I also admit to enjoying engraving into a recorded image of a scene my own rankings and guide for the eye and senses. This is not to make vogue idealistic phantom places but rather to use the captured file as a basis for more intimate observation of what is there

This is what I wrote but kept back my questions when I first saw you photograph yesterday.

I wonder if you might consider bringing out all the buildings so that they every detail celebrated in importance. That will create a sort of horizon from either side of which the hills and sky will overlook the land near us.

I personally would want more cloud and so I'd create 50% more, and since you were there and have, no doubt, other pictures, you can do that in one Hollywood minute...or 2 :)

I'd take the bright part within the clouds and use that as a template to brighten a portion of the hills underneath the sky.

I would do the most dishonest damage in the foreground, entirely removing some trees/shrubs and defining the ridges in the soil so one is trapped to look at this and then be drawn in to the house on the mid left. Hey, I'd even cheat and sharpen selectively the path along which one might reach the key white building.

My ideas are not offered as "better" as for sure they cannot be. Rather I'm exploring what other ways the recorded image can be finished to to find significance in it.

Thanks so much,

Asher

TJ Avery

I enjoy the starkness of the scene. The white house really stands out well and seems to communicate isolation and remoteness. The sense of scale and 3D look is very good: this is a great example of using similar elements (the bushes) in the fore, mid, and backgrounds to convey depth.

From a color standpoint, it's a little bland. I think if you added some blue to the sky, it would compliment the warm earth tones of the ground better. Or, you could try B&W. Also, I think if you did a selective adjustment on the background and sky to bring up the black point (using levels), it would inhance the darker tones and better blend with the dark mid and fore-grounds.

I'm a little out of touch with commenting, but it's something that I enjoy doing. If any of this sounds like bs to you, then please just ignore me :)