• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Fossilized Fish multispectral

Dr Klaus Schmitt

A while ago I had the honor to work with Neal Larson (the guy who found SUE the famous T-Rex) on a paper on fossilized cephalopods found in Hajoula, Lebanon. LINK to Paper

Today it is about enhancing the visibility of fossil bone and tissue structures using UV reflected and UV stimulated visible fluorescence photography. I will also use my remapping technology consisting of a visible image, a reflected UV image and an UV stimulated visible fluorescence image for that and combine them into multispectral images.

Lens used was my CERCO quatz fluorite lens, light sources were a modified high power Xenon flash as well as a NICHIA 365nm Power LED. Target was a fossilized fish from Solnhofen, Germany, approx. 100 Mio years old.

Visible light image using UV/IR Cut filter:
original.jpg

Reflected UV image using Baader-U filter (310-390nm):
original.jpg

UV stimulated visible fluorescence (FL) using Nichia 365nm UV LED:
original.jpg

Combined VIS - FL multispectral image:
original.jpg

Combined VIS - UV multispectral image:
original.jpg

Combined FL - UV multispectral image:
original.jpg

It gets nicely visible that using UV light brings out much more details than normal visible light photography and by doing so enhances the visibility of preserved bone and tissue structures quite a bit. Combining those different images even more enhances the structures.

So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish....

Last edited:

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Wonderful how the UV light picks up so much additional features of the fossil. A tomogram would be helpful too! I wonder whether that is feasible? Perhaps one could image through the rock with an MRI?

How thick is it?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Wonderful how the UV light picks up so much additional features of the fossil. A tomogram would be helpful too! I wonder whether that is feasible? Perhaps one could image through the rock with an MRI?

How thick is it?

Asher

About 10mm thickness it has. I know that XRF analysis has successfully been done scanning for various elements and the combining those images into one false color image. I haven't heard that tomography has been used for this tho; for mummies it has been used, I know.

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
About 10mm thickness it has. I know that XRF analysis has successfully been done scanning for various elements and the combining those images into one false color image. I haven't heard that tomography has been used for this tho; for mummies it has been used, I know.

Well it looks like it's very likely possible by a number of tomographic techniques. Here in this nature article, "Synchrotron X-ray tomographic microscopy of fossil embryos", they show very fine detail to look at blastomere's and more.

Still your UV method, besides it's inherent beauty, is a very quick way of getting extra information of an embedded fossil on the surface of rocks, just with a camera setup and it's entirely mobile!

When you build your multispectral pictures, will you also do various mathematical manipulations in photoshop beyond just addition?

Asher

Dr Klaus Schmitt

Yes indeed, it is very lightweight my setup and can also be brought on site if so needed.

Combining images this certain way may be done using different software (ImageJ, Fiji etc.), I don't use Photoshop for that.