• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

How fast can you get files catalogued?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
I have timed iView Media Pro cataloging of images from firewire hard drives and was surprised that having two catalogs being made at the same time did not slow things from 300 images per minute per catalog.

However, when the G5 dual 2.3GZ Power PC internal drives were also catalogued in a separate file, the rate of filing dropped to 28 to 59/minute for the external firewire and was 28 to 226 for the G5 drives.

However, an external SATA had filing rate of 238/minute and the Firewire drives dropped to just 229/minute.

So it seems that Firewire 800 is faster than SATA on my system and that SATA slows down record writing from firewire drives, even when the SATA boot srive is not being catalogued. However, this effect is less with external SATA drives.

Now, still this is very slow even at 300 files per minute with only firewire drives being used or 600 files persecond for two catalogs.

It might be that one can do more than 2 firewire catalogs at a time but I haven't tried that. I'm going to test this on my MacBook Pro!

At this rate I'm looking at days of filing!

Asher

Peter Krogh

Asher,
Rick at MacGurus and I were speaking recently and he said something about issues relating to how seagate SATA drives handled small files, like XMP sidecar files. There's something about the way they are read and served up to the SATA bus that is particularly slow, as I recall.

You might want to drop him a line and see if you can get further explanation of the issue.

I've been meaning to do it, but have been busy of late.
Peter

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Thanks Peter,

I'll ask Rick. He's very knowledgable!

Now do you have any idea as to the relative speeds of filing into LR or Aperture?

Asher

Peter Krogh

Asher,
THe one thing I'm sure of is tat the workflow/strategic speeds will be far more important than the task/tactical speed. `

Peter