• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

New tool for searching for keywords in Lightroom

KrisCarnmarker

For those of us who have a lot of keywords in LR, the lack of searching capabilities is a problem. I use the The Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog, which consists of 11000 keywords. As you can imagine, finding and navigating to the right keyword is tedious.

So, I wrote this little tool to help me out. It reads the keywords (Keyword Tags in LR speak) straight from the the LR catalog and allows me to search and navigate the hierarchy. Once I find the right keyword, I can "Copy" the keyword to the clipboard. This copies a text representation of the keyword which can by used the LR painter tool.

The tool only reads from the catalog; you cannot edit the keywords. If you decide to use this, I would suggest you point it to a copy of your Lightroom Catalog, at least until you feel confident that it is not destroying anything and not writing anything to the catalog.

Anyway, I decided to make it available to my fellow OPFers.

It requires Java 5 or later. It is not 100% pure Java, because the 100% pure Java database driver for the LR database (SQLite) is just too slow. Instead, I use the native interface drivers. Included in the Zip file are native libraries for Windows and OSX. Please see the readme file for details.

It can be downloaded from here.

And here's a screen shot.

ss.jpg

Needless to say, this comes with no warranties, support, responsibilities, etc. Use AS-IS!

Comments are welcome!

Last edited by a moderator:

John Buxton

G'day Kris,

I gave this a try on my database, it threw an error. Perhaps I have too many keywords as I have added to the Controlled Vocabulary Keyword Catalog.

Here is the the log, it may help

[2008-02-14 17:37:53,640] INFO com.carnmarker.kris.db.KeywordsLoader Opening database P:\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
[2008-02-14 17:37:53,656] INFO com.carnmarker.kris.db.KeywordsLoader Loading all keywords
[2008-02-14 17:37:53,859] ERROR com.carnmarker.kris.db.KeywordsLoader Error loading keywords
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData$Params.parseParams(RowData.java:146)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData$Params.<init>(RowData.java:109)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData$Params.<init>(RowData.java:77)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData.<init>(RowData.java:28)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowdataParser.parse(RowdataParser.java:99)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.KeywordsLoader.loadKeywords(KeywordsLoader.java:68)
at com.carnmarker.kris.LRKeywordFinder.loadCatalog(LRKeywordFinder.java:135)
at com.carnmarker.kris.LRKeywordFinder.start(LRKeywordFinder.java:104)
at com.carnmarker.kris.LRKeywordFinder.main(LRKeywordFinder.java:98)
[2008-02-14 17:37:53,859] INFO com.carnmarker.kris.db.KeywordsLoader Closing database
[2008-02-14 17:37:53,859] INFO com.carnmarker.kris.db.KeywordsLoader Closed database
[2008-02-14 17:37:53,859] ERROR com.carnmarker.kris.LRKeywordFinder Could not load catalog P:\Lightroom\Lightroom Catalog.lrcat
java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException: String index out of range: -1
at java.lang.String.substring(Unknown Source)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData$Params.parseParams(RowData.java:146)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData$Params.<init>(RowData.java:109)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData$Params.<init>(RowData.java:77)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowData.<init>(RowData.java:28)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.RowdataParser.parse(RowdataParser.java:99)
at com.carnmarker.kris.db.KeywordsLoader.loadKeywords(KeywordsLoader.java:68)
at com.carnmarker.kris.LRKeywordFinder.loadCatalog(LRKeywordFinder.java:135)
at com.carnmarker.kris.LRKeywordFinder.start(LRKeywordFinder.java:104)
at com.carnmarker.kris.LRKeywordFinder.main(LRKeywordFinder.java:98)

John