• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

Carry-with-me-always" camera? Reviews/experiences: Is yours also a Canon G9?

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Things have certainly advanced beyonfd the wonderful G9 digicam offerings.

My carry-with-me camera is the Ricoh GXR with the 50mm Macro lens. It uses a sensor the same size as in a Digital rebel and the pictures are so sharp. The menu is the most logical I've seen. Best of all, it's black and silent, absolutely no disturbance.

So what's you favorite today? After all, the best camera is the one you have in your hands!

Asher

Despite the negative reviews about slow RAW write time and occasional seizing up, I bought a Nikon Coolpik P7000 in early April as a carry-in-a-pouch-on-my-belt camera. What persuaded me was a longer zoom than on the Canon offerings, although what I didn't expect was how amazingly close to the target the macro mode can get. Slow write time is no problem (why get impatient about a 5-second delay?) and it has never seized up despite constant use. Image quality not surprisingly isn't up to DSLR levels particularly in low light, but as good as it gets for a camera of its type.
Cheers
Mike

Asher Kelman

Glad to hear this report, Michael. The extra range can make all the difference. One can get wider with stitching but telephoto has no substitute!

Asher

Tom Shue

Not a G9 but a G12. It feeds my addiction without pissing f my wife so much.

6057769914_6162d59617_z.jpg

Fits right in the pocket and the CHDK firmware makes all sorts of fun stuff available. Can you say USB cable release?

Asher Kelman

Not a G9 but a G12. It feeds my addiction without pissing f my wife so much.

6057769914_6162d59617_z.jpg

Fits right in the pocket and the CHDK firmware makes all sorts of fun stuff available. Can you say USB cable release?

Yes,

This s a great pocket camera. They smartly reduced the MP to go for a better mage! Tell me, what goodies does the CHDK firmware bring? Is it added via the SD card and is this a web PC or Mac requiring package?

Asher

Jerome Marot

Tell me, what goodies does the CHDK firmware bring? Is it added via the SD card and is this a web PC or Mac requiring package?

I can't possibly list all the goodies here, but the idea is that CHDK makes the camera programmable and various hackers have tried their best. Automatic hdr, focus stack, movement detection (security camera), more info, raw mode, to name a few.

It is installed via the SD card and the card can be prepared with Windows, OS X or Linux.

CHDK for Dummies

Martin Evans

Powershot S90 user here. Clearly pocketable and decent image quality.

Best regards,
Michael

Canon PowerShot A620 in my case. Similarly pocketable and very good for holiday photos. No RAW, and IQ deteriorates when pushed to any limits. Not up to G9/G12 standards, but less than half the price. It is almost always with me, in a side-pocket on my shoulder/shopping bag. Will fit a jacket or trouser pocket for parties, functions, etc

In my younger days I had a lovely Kodak Retina II 35mm, which was my father's cast-off. Folding bellows rangefinder, neat and small enough to fit into a pocket, with a good fast lens. Alas, someone begged the loan of it from me, years ago, and that was the last I saw of it :-(

Martin