• Please use real names.

Greetings to all who have registered to OPF and those guests taking a look around. Please use real names. Registrations with fictitious names will not be processed. REAL NAMES ONLY will be processed

Firstname Lastname

Register

We are a courteous and supportive community. No need to hide behind an alia. If you have a genuine need for privacy/secrecy then let me know!
  • Welcome to the new site. Here's a thread about the update where you can post your feedback, ask questions or spot those nasty bugs!

What new lens envy do you have?

Mike Shimwell

Don't worry about the ' and the ` .

Simple in comparison to what many people envy really, macro and other attributes. My main interest is sport so my needs, my desires are tailored towards that. As long as I can shoot sport I'm happy !

Ah, the secret! Your interest is sport, so you make pictures of what you love.

good stuff

Mike

since we're talking about envy.....

I have been wanting an affordable 3oomm prime for awhile now. Picked up a nikkor 300mm f4.5 AIS today.

Here is one of the first exposures taken with it mounted on the D90.

6816054241_d5d9648026_b.jpg

Andrew Stannard

pro member
In the other order I suspect? (unless they're one and the same). £1449 is the best I can find at the moment.

Yes indeed - the other order would probably be best.

You could buy a Shen HAo 5/4 and a lens for that. Tilt and shift always available and live view focusing included for free:)

I have wondered about going down that route in the past - however I think I am too fond of digital!

Andrew.

Ben Rubinstein

pro member
Mike,

Likely as not, "relatively cheap" in the U.K. is going to be more than the cost of the new lens here in the States. I think that the MF Pentax lenses are going to be less expensive the UK as who wants them, but there are stellar and can be used for the Eos with an inexpensive adapter.

Asher

I bought my Takumar Super 50mm for less from the states including shipping than I could have got it for in the UK.

Mark Hampton

i am looking at an in AF lenses atm - I need the af so my wife and son can use the system without too much to think about - thinking about the 85mm 1.4 .. and the 200mm 2.8 both canons...

on 35mm film I used a 200mm zoom - almost all of my work was @ 200mm.. i loved the feel of compression that the focal length gives...

anyones thoughts and advice would be cool / or not!

as for lust - ha .. give me the 85 mm 1.2 canon and as lust is best when it's directed at something that cannot exist give me a 200mm f0

cheers

Asher Kelman

OPF Owner/Editor-in-Chief
Just after I sold a 17-40mm because of lack of use, I've being asked to do some interior photos. Looking around for my options of getting a good lens for this (renting or whatever), I came across these lenses that are out of any realistic possibility for me, but they are so damn sexy!

Hi Ruben,

A warning about hartblei.com, they do not sell the Hartblei lenses anymore. One either needs to contact the German or Ukraine representatives, and the German branch is the only one selling real Zeiss formulated rebuilds Here is some more background on the Who-is-Who.

Cheers,
Bart

Ruben Alfu

Hi Ruben,

A warning about hartblei.com, they do not sell the Hartblei lenses anymore. One either needs to contact the German or Ukraine representatives, and the German branch is the only one selling real Zeiss formulated rebuilds Here is some more background on the Who-is-Who.

Cheers,
Bart

Hmm.. that's interesting Bart. As I said, right now I don't really need that lens and I cannot afford it anyway. BUT, things may change at any moment, who knows? I already have a TSE-90, tilt-shift controls are really cool and the IQ is superb. The 24mm is so expensive, if I ever feel like I can really justify spending that much for a wider tilt-shift, I'd consider the Hartblei 35mm as a serious candidate, from hartblei.de I guess :).

Edit: Well, after posting here I went to hartblei.de. A whole different story, different products, and different prices!

Ruben

Asher Kelman

I already have a TSE-90, tilt-shift controls are really cool and the IQ is superb.

Ruben,

How much do you use the lens? I have the 24 mm TS/E II and find that this alone is good for so much, from full length portraits of groups to interiors or even slower shots. I don't have the 90 mm version, but I'd imagine just that one lens can open up a lot of artistic opportunities unique to that lens. Is it really practical to own an additional lens in terms of actual production of new work?

I'm finding that, at least for artwork, I do best with sticking to less lenses!

OTOH, if I was doing interiors again, the 17mm TS.E would be very attractive. See I don't listen to my own advice. There's always some seduction that overcomes logic! We flirt with lenses!

Asher

Ruben,

How much do you use the lens? I have the 24 mm TS/E II and find that this alone is good for so much, from full length portraits of groups to interiors or even slower shots. I don't have the 90 mm version, but I'd imagine just that one lens can open up a lot of artistic opportunities unique to that lens. Is it really practical to own an additional lens in terms of actual production of new work?

OTOH, if I was doing interiors again, the 17mm TS.E would be very attractive. See I don't listen to my own advice. There's always some seduction that overcomes logic! We flirt with lenses!

Hi Asher,

Flirting can be dangerous ;-)

However, stitching with the TS-E 24mm will produce superior resolution results compared to the TS-E 17mm, and it's easy to match or even exceed the Field of View of the 17mm, by just adding tiles.

The TS-E 90mm is a wonderful lens, compact, simple optical construction and thus high contrast, and will produce even more stitched resolution, also for reprowork at an angle. The longer focal length and Tilt can also be exploited for macro photography. All that's needed is an extender or an extension tube.

Cheers,
Bart

Asher Kelman

Hi Asher,

Flirting can be dangerous ;-)

But does allow one to find information that otherwise would be kept secret. Also, if one is fortunate, excellent models, tooL!

However, stitching with the TS-E 24mm will produce superior resolution results compared to the TS-E 17mm, and it's easy to match or even exceed the Field of View of the 17mm, by just adding tiles.

That's been my assumption!

The TS-E 90mm is a wonderful lens, compact, simple optical construction and thus high contrast, and will produce even more stitched resolution, also for reprowork at an angle. The longer focal length and Tilt can also be exploited for macro photography. All that's needed is an extender or an extension tube.

Because we now have live view and means of checking focus, AF is less critical and a lens becomes even more important for every day use. The idea of using it for macro is something I never thought of! In fact, the last time I used extension tubes was with my marvelous original Pentax with my 50 mm Super Takamur lens.

Asher

I originally purchased a TS-E 90mm intending to use it for macro flower photography. Experimented a bit with the 1.4x extender and found that it worked very well. 25mm extension tube worked fine too, but that was a given. Oddly enough, I was so taken by the creative tilt/shift possibilities of the lens that I've drifted away from macro work. It is an incredibly versatile piece of equipment.

Ruben Alfu

Ruben,

Asher

Hi Asher,

I use the 90mm a lot, mostly for studio work, that's my favorite lens for food photography and is very convenient for shooting packaged products too. Adding a new lens won't bring more work, unless it is required for a specific project, but IMO, if you can afford it, it doesn't hurt to have more options and gain experience using a wider variety of lenses.

Ruben

Ruben Alfu

The TS-E 90mm is a wonderful lens, compact, simple optical construction and thus high contrast, and will produce even more stitched resolution...
Cheers,
Bart

I have done rudimentary experiments stitching (and bracketing) interior photos with this lens. PS Photomerge works like a charm with these files and there's little to none waste of pixels. I've even used it to stitch portraits, I'm gonna post one example in the portraits section.

Ruben

Recently I've been envying a 300mm prime for my lineup. I started out with a nice copy of a nikkor 300mm f4.5 AIS, returned it and through down few more bucks for a tamron sp 300mm f2.8 IF LD! Man is this Tamron huge compared to the nikkor. But yet I am still undecided....

I just might have to return this before it's 30 day period is up and test out a nikkor 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 AFS or the sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 ex dg.

Asher Kelman

Recently I've been envying a 300mm prime for my lineup. I started out with a nice copy of a nikkor 300mm f4.5 AIS, returned it and through down few more bucks for a tamron sp 300mm f2.8 IF LD! Man is this Tamron huge compared to the nikkor. But yet I am still undecided....

I just might have to return this before it's 30 day period is up and test out a nikkor 10-24mm f3.5-4.5 AFS or the sigma 15-30mm f3.5-4.5 ex dg.

Jake, I sold my 300 2.8L Canon lens because it simple was to heavy to use more than an hour. Then one still has to carry it! There's a lot to say for the f4.0 lenses.

Asher

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Can anyone talk me out of lusting after a 45mm PC for my Nikon before its too late and I waste my hard earnt pension on yet another toy?

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Why would that be the case?
Christine isn't the stereotypical wife. Not only is she beautiful, intelligent and caring she doesn't even ask me what I buy, nor does she expect me to tell her, and vise versa.
Eat your heart out, guys!

Tom dinning

Registrant*
Because, even if she doesn't normally ask you what you buy nor expects you to tell her, she is a person closest to you than we can ever be?

You can say that again! Trouble is as soon as I get close to her i forget what I was going to talk about. She has that effect on me.
Oh, bugger it. No-one is any help here. I'll go buy it and be done -or not.

Jake, I sold my 300 2.8L Canon lens because it simple was to heavy to use more than an hour. Then one still has to carry it! There's a lot to say for the f4.0 lenses.

Asher

I'm waiting for a mint late model 300mm f4.5 if Ed ais, the version with the 9 bladed aperture. The weight of the fast f2.8 is just o much for my ball head. It was creeping all over!

Then again there is always the lust for the beautifull nikkor 200mm f2 if Ed ais!

Mark Hampton

Can anyone talk me out of lusting after a 45mm PC for my Nikon before its too late and I waste my hard earnt pension on yet another toy?

ken rockwell could i guess - no idea who he is but i asked google your question

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/45mm-pc-e.htm

"This is a very special purpose lens for people too lazy to haul out a view camera, or too cheap to spring for a real digital back for that view camera like the Phase One. "

does that sound like you ?

There are 2 that I am waiting for:

EF 300mm f4L IS USM MK II

EF 100-400mm f4-5.6 L IS USM MK II (internal zoom)

and wishing for:

EF 24-70mm f2.8L IS USM

EF 16-35mm f2.8 L IS USM

and any non IS upgrade to IS.